Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang for the buck: Upgrade 2-way shocks to 3- or 4-way or lighten the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015 | 09:59 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
well, what's your thought on this guys.

i run jrz pro double suspension. I asked my corner/alignment guy to setup the car neutral since i didnt have any reference.

i had some good results at Sebring. So, do i leave the setup like that or try different settings?

from reading your comments, i should play with the settings and check aim and etc,...

i understand that there is always room for improvement, but as a new club racer, where do you start?

my car handled well during the Sebring PCA race and I ended up with the lap record in my class.

im on the edge with changing all the setup and the next time i will be at sebring is next year only.

It will also be my first time at all the US tracks(except monticello)
I think I made a slightly ambiguous response to one of your previous posts. What I meant to say is "strap it on and drive it"
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:17 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
What I meant to say is "strap it on and drive it"
Family forum here, but OK.

Old 02-23-2015 | 10:43 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

The beauty of this forum is that we have all kinds of opinions and information from pro to club racers and DE guys, driving coaches and pro race shops.

There are guys on here like peter, dave and tim that make a living at racing so I tend to listen to those guys first.

Mooty always has an opinion worth listening to since it seems like he buys and sells 3 or 4 porsches a week.

I know on the GT3RS forum I learned a lot from guys that had already been there done that as well.

Now just to sort through all of the info.

I say, you find an expert in the field you know and trust, a pro coach, a race shop, a crew chief, or race engineer and just drive the car. The results will speak for themselves. Then adjust from there.

Good stuff guys
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

For those who have adjustable suspensions, there is nothing wrong with finding a set up you like and sticking with it. However , often, a better set up can make marked improvements in Lao times and ease of driving. Do a LOT of experimentation on your own do figure out how the car behaves as each parameter is altered ... And hire a good coach who can quickly help make the car better for YOUR driving style (not his), and then have him explain why, so you can repeat the process without the coach present...
Old 02-24-2015 | 09:08 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
For those who have adjustable suspensions, there is nothing wrong with finding a set up you like and sticking with it. However , often, a better set up can make marked improvements in Lao times and ease of driving. Do a LOT of experimentation on your own do figure out how the car behaves as each parameter is altered ... And hire a good coach who can quickly help make the car better for YOUR driving style (not his), and then have him explain why, so you can repeat the process without the coach present...
My coach(s) just tell me to go faster....

I do keep good notes though, at least until noon. After that, I usually have had too much beer and forget.

((Seb...start NOW keeping notes. Get a bound memo book and start writing. Make this a habit, even if you don't think about all the stuff at the moment...it'll pay off later))
Old 02-24-2015 | 05:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
200lbs driven on the edge should be right around 5-7 tenths of a second on a 2 minute track...........
-T.O.
At Laguna, a 1:30 track I was over 4 seconds per lap faster with the same suspension and wheels only with Yoko slicks (same size) instead of R6's. I figured it was 50% weight loss and 50% slicks. That 4 second delta held true at Cal Speedway, WSIR about 3 seconds.....
Old 02-24-2015 | 07:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Family forum here, but OK.

Sorry. Slang doesn't always translate well between cultures.

Here in USA we use race harnesses in our cars, so the phrase roughly means

"Don't over-think it. Enter your car, connect and tighten your belts properly, proceed down pit lane, enter the track, operate the vehicle and have fun."

But its hard to say that with a big ol' chaw in your mouth.
Old 02-24-2015 | 08:15 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Tire degradation is in there too.
Yes, but a lot of teams typically do a 2 stop strategy where they start on say an option tire and then do two stints on the same compound.

A simple regression analysis can correct for the tire degradation component.

Big question is if anybody cares?
Old 05-08-2019 | 11:58 AM
track_addict
1st Gear

I have a question related to this subject and I saw that there are a few knowledgeable people here who might be willing to help.
First: I don't have a porsche but an alfa romeo 4c --> I go a lot to the racetrack and sometimes I end up on this forum in searching for valuable information (like tires, coilovers etc)

I want to upgrade the suspension of my alfa and I can go with KW competition 2 way adjustable or nitron r3 (3 way adjustable). Both coilovers are in the same price range. There are not many other options and I believe these would be the best ones.
I'm the kind of driver that likes to make adjustments on the car and measure the improvement on the racetrack (one step at a time) so setting the coilovers by my self it should not be a problem (only it will take a few track days to achieve the settings that works best).
I have a vbox to measure the data and usually I analize the results when I get behind the computer.
I use a tire pyrometer to adjust the pressure.
I make the tests on the same racetrack (which I know very well) and I am pretty fast on my car (I don't think a racing instructor would be faster on my car) --> this is to remove the "lessons" out of the equation.
So far I obtained quite good results with the OEM suspension but I feel it can be improved

Thank you in advance for your help on this

What are your views in relation to both coilovers (KW competion and nitron r3)?
Old 05-12-2019 | 02:58 PM
Tripp993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninjabones
If you've never had the opportunity to learn how to tune adjustable shocks (high speed, low speed, rebound, can pressure) then I'd vote for that purely for the education / driver-development benefits. Steep learning curve, and you'll probably be slower for quite some time, but to me this whole sport is about learning and improving on my potential. It took me over a year to figure it out in my old 993, but I learned a ton and it gave me something to talk about with a lot of really smart people (the majority of whom contradicted each other and confused me, until I found my Yoda).
I installed JRZ's, solid bushings, ERP control arms on my 993 race car and thought I would knock 1-2 seconds off my lap times but was actually 2-4 seconds slower initially. I paid several pro drivers, 3 different race support teams to help me dial it in over 25 track hours and 6 months all at the same track where I run consistent times. I've finally gotten back down to my original lap times and learning how to adjust the car myself. It is a steep learning curve and I feel like I'm just now starting to understand a little. Hopefully I will eventually be faster than before. I've had lucky friends with newer cars get new suspension and it was faster out of the box. My understanding is the 993 is a little harder to setup.
Old 05-13-2019 | 02:35 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Tripp- that's why I like 2 way - you spend a lot les time chasing your tail. Base set up then drive t see what its doing and simple adjustments. 3 way and now even more just adds to much for a non pro team to manage efficiantly.
Old 05-13-2019 | 02:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
A test day, where you drive different suspension settings, is a great experience. This is a reminder that I have to do this on my new car.

Also, to VR's point, I love having a coach tell me their thoughts on the suspension. It is amazing the crap that you can get used to, and think it is normal, until someone shows you something new.

Quick Reply: Bang for the buck: Upgrade 2-way shocks to 3- or 4-way or lighten the car?