Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang for the buck: Upgrade 2-way shocks to 3- or 4-way or lighten the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015 | 11:28 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
IMHO Top quality motorsports dampers are the ticket. People spend thousands on light weight stuff and horsepower and pick up tenths on lap times. We regularly back to back dampers on the club level with jaw dropping results with just starting settings.

I'm going to get murdered by you guys for making this statement but a high quality set of triple adjustable dampers will set you back about 11.5g's but they are 1.5-2 seconds a lap faster (depending on the track obviously) over a single and even double adjustable and in the long run they more than pay for themselves in terms of tire wear over the course of two seasons.

we have proven this time and time again. As far as needing an engineer you don't. you guys have us
I don't think I could disagree more with you with respect to an amateur driver setting up his car. You combine loss of weight with HP gains and they're completely separate identities. No question your $11.5k triples or 4-way shocks would be beneficial, but the delta over good 2-ways is not nearly as great as the car's transformation after losing 150lbs from the top down (roof skin, all lexan, interior gut, and doors, etc.). This affects how the car handles, brakes, and yes accelerate. Better shocks would help him fine tune the car, but lightening, setup, and good coaching would take that $11.5 (plus labor) a hell of a lot further down this road.....
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Agree with JR 100%.
Old 02-23-2015 | 12:10 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This.

Like I said before, the confidence given to the driver by the improved wheel and tire control, knowing that they can push slightly OVER the edge without "snapping" and/or losing traction suddenly, allows them to DRIVE in such a a way that they get that magic "1.5-2 seconds." It's the DRIVER that has to leverage Tim Olsen's (or insert your favorite tuner here) knowledge and product to YIELD that time improvement (and it varies, track to track, car to car, driver to driver.) It's NOT magic...

Shocks control the rate of weight transfer and aid in the force keeping the tire tread on the surface of the road for maximum grip. They aid in traction out of the corner, stability in the platform under braking and quick transients. They're a critical part of any racer's success. But there is no silver bullet...
Bingo!

Couple of friends have done DA on adjustables and have had quantifiable results... they also are the very best drivers in the club... not a coincidence.

BTW, if anybody has access to lap by lap timing info from F1, it would be easy (if boring) to calculate the impact of weight on performance...

We know the starting weight with full fuel, the burn rate, and the weight of the car with an empty tank... same driver, same tires, same track... only delta is weight.
Old 02-23-2015 | 01:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCP911S

Bingo!

Couple of friends have done DA on adjustables and have had quantifiable results... they also are the very best drivers in the club... not a coincidence.

BTW, if anybody has access to lap by lap timing info from F1, it would be easy (if boring) to calculate the impact of weight on performance...

We know the starting weight with full fuel, the burn rate, and the weight of the car with an empty tank... same driver, same tires, same track... only delta is weight.
Tire degradation is in there too.
Old 02-23-2015 | 02:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
Ha! They all go hand in hand and everyone has an opinion

It just happens to be the way I earn my living
True, and true for me as well.

Having sold more than half a million dollars of data acquisition equipment over the last few years to club-level drivers, VERY few of those buyers have taken the time, expense and trouble to install shock potentiometers to objectively measure what EXACTLY is going on.

An even smaller percentage (who have cars equipped with linear sensors for this purpose) bother to review the data or quantify exactly what is happening through the incredible range of adjustment most of these "super shocks" provide.

More importantly, few record or commit to memory a snapshot of histograms recorded when the car IS truly MAGIC, and the driver IS going really fast, so that they know WHERE and HOW to tune "back to that" when at different tracks or under different conditions.

This is not criticism, it's a fact! Most folks aren't interested in that granular a level of study. And that is ok!

I find few drivers at less than the pro level (and only some AT the pro level) that can cogently detail and accurately define improvements (or not) over small ranges of adjustment, especially where they aren't inadvertently compensating in their approach as a result.

That's why it's been very powerful and good to have this objective measure, from which you can calculate not only the action, but the reaction of the chassis and the driver, to these changes. By many different and additional measures beyond simply the behavior of the shock (excuse me, damper). Pitch, roll, roll lag. It's all influenced by the shocks.

Fascinating stuff, but there is a modicum of science involved...

That's why Kurt Roehrig was able to revolutionize the shock industry with his testing equipment. All of a sudden, it wasn't a "black art" anymore!

Neat guy, good science!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-23-2015 | 02:12 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
True, and true for me as well.
especially where they aren't inadvertently compensating in their approach as a result.

!
By this, do you mean "driving through" or "around" the changes and compensating for the differences?
Old 02-23-2015 | 02:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KaiB
By this, do you mean "driving through" or "around" the changes and compensating for the differences?
Uh, yep! Especially at the pro level.

This is why the data is even more important AT the pro level...

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-23-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2015 | 03:09 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

You could drop a lot of weight out of a car with $11.5K ...
Old 02-23-2015 | 03:26 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stownsen914
You could drop a lot of weight out of a car with $11.5K ...
And then you get to the point where it's well over $150/lb and quit....
Old 02-23-2015 | 05:32 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

And then you get to the point where it's well over $150/lb and quit....

Could be true if you only managed to take 77 lbs out of the car for the $11.5K. I think it wouldn't be hard to do better than 77 lbs ...
Old 02-23-2015 | 07:42 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

well, what's your thought on this guys.

i run jrz pro double suspension. I asked my corner/alignment guy to setup the car neutral since i didnt have any reference.

i had some good results at Sebring. So, do i leave the setup like that or try different settings?

from reading your comments, i should play with the settings and check aim and etc,...

i understand that there is always room for improvement, but as a new club racer, where do you start?

my car handled well during the Sebring PCA race and I ended up with the lap record in my class.

im on the edge with changing all the setup and the next time i will be at sebring is next year only.

It will also be my first time at all the US tracks(except monticello)
Old 02-23-2015 | 07:53 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Have you got a note book? You keep track of tire pressures, correct?

Do you have your Sebring settings written down, including canister pressures?

Did the car do anything at all at Sebring that you felt you would like to improve?

Do you have tire temp data?

Are you having fun?

Edit to add: Congratulations!!!
Old 02-23-2015 | 07:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Could be true if you only managed to take 77 lbs out of the car for the $11.5K. I think it wouldn't be hard to do better than 77 lbs ...
Blasphemy I tell you. Using aftermarket Getty's FRP parts I think the roof, hood, and doors were around $3.5k at retail and they will discount. All are easy to install (roof a little tougher) and just need some race paint. Those alone should save around 100 lbs. off OEM parts especially a sunroof car which most P-cars are. Figure $1.5k for install and paint if done professionally.

$750. for a Shields windshield installed with supports, another $250 for the rear from Home Depot installed and that arguably saves another 40 lbs.....

Hell that's only up to maybe $5.5k and you've conservatively removed at least 130 lbs.....

Now playing with the wiring harness can get expensive. I think probably around $3-4k from someone qualified. I've done that to both of my 996's saving approx. 70lbs. in wiring and the leather dash/gauge cluster. I put in all in a bucket and weighed the mess. You'll need a AIM dash or similar so budget another $2k for that....

Now we've almost spent the full $11.5k and lost at least 200 lbs.....

Before and after pics....
Attached Images   

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 02-23-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2015 | 08:00 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Have you got a note book? You keep track of tire pressures, correct? none of that, but i was running 30 hot on all 4 corners hoosier r7

Do you have your Sebring settings written down, including canister pressures? no, i have the pressure my tech guy put in...

Did the car do anything at all at Sebring that you felt you would like to improve? 2-3 times during full weekend, i had trouble at apex of corner 1 and had to correct to save, but is it me? or tricky corner?

Do you have tire temp data? i never took tire temps since i started DE, (4-5 years ago)

Are you having fun? lot of fun my friend! my dad race with me too and so my friends. I've met some other race friends and im just having a blast.

Edit to add: Congratulations!!!
newbie answers, sry
Old 02-23-2015 | 08:37 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Blasphemy I tell you. Using aftermarket Getty's FRP parts I think the roof, hood, and doors were around $3.5k at retail and they will discount. All are easy to install (roof a little tougher) and just need some race paint. Those alone should save around 100 lbs. off OEM parts especially a sunroof car which most P-cars are. Figure $1.5k for install and paint if done professionally.

$750. for a Shields windshield installed with supports, another $250 for the rear from Home Depot installed and that arguably saves another 40 lbs.....

Hell that's only up to maybe $5.5k and you've conservatively removed at least 130 lbs.....

Now playing with the wiring harness can get expensive. I think probably around $3-4k from someone qualified. I've done that to both of my 996's saving approx. 70lbs. in wiring and the leather dash/gauge cluster. I put in all in a bucket and weighed the mess. You'll need a AIM dash or similar so budget another $2k for that....

Now we've almost spent the full $11.5k and lost at least 200 lbs.....

Before and after pics....

Nice work car looks amazing!

I'm sure you guys have had to deal with BOP like we all have. 200lbs driven on the edge should be right around 5-7 tenths of a second on a 2 minute track...........

Very easy to back up with data. We were dealing with BOP adjustments in the 200lb range at JRZ in World Challenge over the last couple of years before they went to FIA Spec. 2006 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GTS champs and second place in 2013.

-T.O.

Quick Reply: Bang for the buck: Upgrade 2-way shocks to 3- or 4-way or lighten the car?