Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang for the buck: Upgrade 2-way shocks to 3- or 4-way or lighten the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang for the buck: Upgrade 2-way shocks to 3- or 4-way or lighten the car?

Thinking out loud as during winter the mod bug sometimes hits you...

Which one provides better performance on track, given that I can either buy new suspension or lighten the car with the same money:

- Should I change my properly tuned 2-way suspension to 3-way or 4-way shocks? I drive on challenging tracks (Ring...) where you could notice the benefits easily. Majority of people with similar pace there drive 3-way or 4-way and rave about them. Of course some adjusting time is needed.

- Or should I focus now into lightening the car with some beautiful CF body panels etc? Car is relatively heavy (for a track only) 996, so can shed good amount of weight off.

At this stage, I am sure a weight removal would be a better upgrade for ordinary Grand Prix type of circuits, where you can see the (small) difference in lap times quite quickly. But, a good suspension really benefits on difficult places like the Ring.

So, would you rather toss out XXX lbs of the car or upgrade to 3-way or 4-way competition shocks if those are the choices? Where's the break even "XXX lbs" in that comparison, purely in your view?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:29 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Break even occurs right around $150/lb...

Good dampers are nice, but really want to work as part of an entire (well thought out) suspension and tires.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Suspension is only as good as the settings
Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

new shocks would give you one or two more ways to adjust yourself out of being competitive
Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Suspension upgrades are all about set-up. It is the proper set-up that will give you the benefit, not just the shocks by themselves.

Weight reduction is great because it will help you with cornering, braking and acceleration. There are many ways to reduce weight before you start replacing body panels with CF (but maybe you already incorporated those).

Here are some other things you might want to consider spending your money on instead of the above:

- A pro coach
- A data system (such as AIM)
- Aerodynamics
- Tires (go to full slicks)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
new shocks would give you one or two more ways to adjust yourself out of being competitive
Lol.... this.

If its track only, throw some weight out or better yet add some aero if your car still looks like the pic. You can probably do both for the price of 3 or 4 ways. Lighter + aero will be faster.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Agree with the above: lighten the car, get a coach to help dial the car in after lightening it & to help you get the most out of it as a driver.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

I'm not a racer... But the best bang for buck in improving performance for me has been coaching and a data system to go with it. Modding the car is fun, but modding me delivers better results
Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

If you have already a good 2 ways suspension propelly setuped, then you should leave it like that unless, you race for cash or big series.

For me, i changed my stock pss9 to jrz 2 ways and this changed my car literrally.

You should give us more info on your mods and de/race experience.

If you have the cash for a 3-4ways(i have a set of 997 jrz available(big money suspension) then go all in and changed it if you think this is the only option left.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you've never had the opportunity to learn how to tune adjustable shocks (high speed, low speed, rebound, can pressure) then I'd vote for that purely for the education / driver-development benefits. Steep learning curve, and you'll probably be slower for quite some time, but to me this whole sport is about learning and improving on my potential. It took me over a year to figure it out in my old 993, but I learned a ton and it gave me something to talk about with a lot of really smart people (the majority of whom contradicted each other and confused me, until I found my Yoda).

Last edited by ninjabones; 02-18-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Hire Sabine.....
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
confused me, until I found my Yoda).
So Yonks set you straight....
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the constructive comments, really like this forum!

I have good idea in mind what to gain in lap time with lower weight, but don't have similar knowledge what's the gain with 2-way vs. 3- or 4-way suspension. Most comparisons there are not fair, and like you say, it's a lot about setup.

I agree you really cannot go wrong with a lower weight, that's for sure! However, I also tried to tell how on the Ring the actual weight is not that critical vs. a great suspension and aerodynamics. There it is more about keeping the momentum in challenging sections vs. "brake hard, focus on one turn for 100%, then accelerate hard" type of stuff, where lightweight is always crucial. A heavier car with specially done suspension is faster there than a lighter car with ok suspension.

I've driven competitively for years. Thanks for the tip on data analysis, may I advertise that I have been involved with the Android lap timer app called RaceChrono, check it out if anyone uses Android phones, I claim it's more useful and practical to use for analysis purposes than the other apps available..
Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Weight is evil in all forms of racing, so that is what I would take out first.

Also, in regards to shocks, remember that good shock absorbers are not built around the adjustment, but the setup and how they work. A set of perfectly tuned non adjustable shocks can work just as well as a set of perfectly tuned 4 way, it's just harder to set them up. So, if you have a good, well setup set of 2 ways, then I would stay with them and lighten the car.

What shocks are in the car now?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I've found that it's more important how well all the individual components (shocks, springs or torsion bars, sway bars) work TOGETHER than switching and swapping individual components (that's reserved and the reason for a true TESTING regimen).

Also, I have found that the quest should be for BALANCE and making predictable the building of optimum slip angles (the rate and amount of sliding, front and back) first.

For shocks, it's all about transitional car response to a driver's input and making that response FEED the driver's confidence, rather than SHAKE that driver's confidence.

It's the confidence of knowing what the car is going to do BEFORE (and WHILE) it's doing it that allow drivers to carry more momentum (read: slow less) through corners and complex corners. That's one of the reasons why a particular "pro's" "setup" (settings on the car that control the timing and amplitude of weight transfer, hence grip distribution) might not work for another pro or someone with far less experience.

It's about building and tuning a foundation UNDER the driver so they can PUSH beyond their comfort level, progressively unsticking the car in a way that is predictable, linear and KNOWING that they're not going to crash if they go over "the edge" a little...

That's the goal. Not a particular "kit list..."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Bang for the buck: Upgrade 2-way shocks to 3- or 4-way or lighten the car?