PCA proposed rule changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:38 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PCA proposed rule changes

Just would like to hear some thoughts on the proposed rule changes and the Cup Challenge Series from the real drivers.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:18 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,
The cup series sounds like a great idea coming from my side of the fence. Wish I had the time to actually give it a go & make the necessary races.

The only other one that really affects me is the free wheels in the GTC classes which is a great idea. That would open up some options. The Speedlines are getting tough to find & they are getting old too. I have 2 sets but I would love to have at least one more set of wheels to take to the track.

PS: You coming up here for the Maverick DE/instructor clinic at MSR next month?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:14 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I agree with Jay. The Cup series is a good idea and I'd like the wheels to be free. I just wish they had passed this rule last year before I bought 4 sets of the "legal" aluminum centered BBS wheels.

Karl
Old 08-29-2003, 10:19 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

I think the cup series is good, and maybe I'll be in it in a few years. I'm going to start off in stock for now.

I was dissapointed that the seat back brace change is only for cup cars. I'd love not to have to get it.

I would have also have liked to have seen some clarifications of 'type' for the 996 stock classes. This was a debated issue a few months ago here.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:11 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Jay,

Afraid that I won't be able to make it to the DE and it's the last one this year

The Challenge series sounds interesting and as a hopefully future stock racer I also wouldn't mind seeing the Cups racing in their own group Just wondering if the Cup race group at the smaller races cut into other events?

Proposal that caught my eye is moving the RSA to E. How unfair is that to the 964 guys? Same model series and hp but a 250# weight penalty?

Last edited by kev; 08-29-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

as per the proposed rule changes..."11. Classify stock 93-94 RS Americas along with 90-94 C2's in Class E at the C2 weight of 3031 lbs. Allow prepared RS Americas to run in Class D at 2760 lbs". Only advantage/disadvange (Depending on how you like it) is power steering vs. manual steering.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:56 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Manny,
Yeah, that's how I interpret it too. If you want to run an RSA in E, you have to add the weight. My guess is most will run in D as prepared @ stock weight.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:07 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little confused.

In 2003 and before a RSA at 2760 pounds with Big Red brakes ran in "C". (Normally in D but bumped to C for a prepared mod).

According to the new rules proposal, where do the following RSA run?

1. RSA at 3031# with Big Reds?
2. RSA at 2760# with Big Reds?
3. A stock RSA at 3031#?
4. A stock RSA at 2760#?

(I am using Big Reds as an example of a prepared mod that would bump one stock class.)
Old 08-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Speaking of weight, where can I shed weight in a stock class? My car is abotu as stripped as the rules seem to allow and I am +100 lbs. Any thoughts? Is a smaller battery legal?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

1. RSA at 3031# with Big Reds?
Looks like D and a weight loss program to me.
2. RSA at 2760# with Big Reds?
Looks like a competitive D
3. A stock RSA at 3031#?
E
4. A stock RSA at 2760#?
D

Just what it loks like to me
Old 08-30-2003, 12:42 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by kev

Proposal that caught my eye is moving the RSA to E. How unfair is that to the 964 guys? Same model series and hp but a 250# weight penalty?
I sent a flaming email for this rule back to PCA... Prepared RSA's on D should be really really fast. These and the EUro RS 964's which are classified on D are running already circles around stock 1995 993's like mine on the track...
With the additional weight on the RSA the catch is that you can distibute the weight I guess anywhere you want as there is not a specific rule on where to place it... So it will run circles around those poor souls on E class with a nice weight set-up...
I think stock RSA's are plenty fast for D and prepared should be playing one class higher... The "prepared" catch may mean light flywheels, shorter gearing, big brakes and other mods...
I don't know...that's my opinion...
Old 08-30-2003, 01:26 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this rule. Basically, they're making the RSA competitive in D with the now dominant US CUP cars. With prepared mods, these cars can now be very similar.

With the GT3s and better prepared 996s coming onto the schene, the RSAs will become less competitive in C.

Manny, looks like you could run in D!

Mitch
Old 08-31-2003, 12:24 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by MJR911
I like this rule. Basically, they're making the RSA competitive in D with the now dominant US CUP cars. With prepared mods, these cars can now be very similar.

With the GT3s and better prepared 996s coming onto the schene, the RSAs will become less competitive in C.

Manny, looks like you could run in D!

Mitch
Yeah,,,and what...us who run stock 993's should sell to get an RSA or a EURO RS???
Old 08-31-2003, 12:58 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not everyone is going to be happy all the time. I have neither car, so I have an unbiased prospective. Yes, if I did have the 993 I might be pissed. However, a great driver will overcome an inferior car. A lot of guys are taking those overweight 993s and making 993RSCSs, but i'm in no position to talke about $$$!

Mitch
Old 08-31-2003, 08:51 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by MJR911
However, a great driver will overcome an inferior car. A lot of guys are taking those overweight 993s and making 993RSCSs, but i'm in no position to talke about $$$!

Mitch
Mitch, it is great being out of the circle so to speak to make comments like that. There is nothing a great driver can do when a car blows by him/her on the straight with such ease like the Euro RS's do on my stock 993.
Besides its a race not a DE, there are no point by's, a slower car on the twisty bits can protect their line and trust me they do... Now trying to find a way by is the challenge but it depends on the track as well. I can tell you coming out of a turn on the bumper of a car , accelerating down a short straight only to see the car in front of you who is much slower on the turn to be pulling 2 car lengths is not a very nice feeling as you cannot really make a run at him.... On my race I had this problem and only when the guy missed an up shift I was able to capitalize on that... After I passed him I was able to pull away and by the end of the race I was half a lap ahead of him. But for the first 10 laps I was stuck on his bumper, tried to make a pass he would close the door. Now unless you want to have your nose clipped you stay at bay and hopefully you can make a run...but when the car a head of you is so much faster on the straight there is not many things you can do... That is why I'm PISSED at this moronic rule. Instead of penalizing the RS with more weight and keeping the RSA as is, no mods, they want to have it run prepared!!!
And yes I do plan sometime in the future to run C as RS specs, but unless you have 20 Grand to loan me today that will not happen for at least another 2 years if not more... And the bottom line is why do I have to endure such an expense on account of PCA???? I would expect them to look at lap times and results and then make a decision to level the playing field so a great driver CAN make a difference instead of making it a one sided affair...

Quick Reply: PCA proposed rule changes