AiM RS3 and MXL2 and MXG relaesed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Peter, I may be going off of bad memory here, but I really remember updating my SC HD GP's firmware last weekend using RS3. Can you (or anyone else for that matter) confirm that firmware updates are available for other (connected at the time) devices using RS3?
Toby, I received the intial stock of MXL2/MXG with 1.11.XX 11/25, then they updated the firmware to 1.12.00 early this week, before I sent them out, then they updates the firmware yesterday to 1.12.08 for the dashes.

The SmartyCam HD was updated to .36 from .32 yesterday for the cameras.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks like 3.03.10 version of Race Studio 3 is about to come out. Web updater inside of RS3 tries to download newer version, but the download fails.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Reported. Italy doesn't open for another eight hours! Lol!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 994 Likes on 595 Posts

I received the tracking that my second allotment shipped today. If anyone is in need of an MXL2 or MXG, let me know, I will have stock after filling orders.

The more I dig into RS3, the more I am impressed with how much more capablility is in these dashes.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The more I dig into RS3, the more I am impressed with how much more capablility is in these dashes.
Please elaborate!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm out of my second shipment!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Please elaborate!
The math channels in the dash simplify things for people with adjustable brake bias. Rather than having to remember a front/rear pressure, you are able to show the actual percent. You can also do this with thresholds, so it will only show when you are over xx pressure. Very cool to replicate dry/wet brake bias setups. There are more on board math channels coming too.

The shift lights can be gear dependent and 7 different colors. You can do them as solid bars or single lights. They can be solid bars that build or single lights that move. They can also go left to right, right to left, outside in, or inside out.

The alarms are very, very powerful. The alarm light can be any of the 7 colors. You can make it so multiple things needs to be triggers for the alarm to come on. For instance, RPM over 2,000, engine temp over 180, oil pressure under 20 lbs. You can also make it so an alarm is any of a number of channels - think making an alarm light just for overheating. It would turn on if oil temp was over 250 OR water temp over 200 OR CHT over 500, etc.

Then, once you have an alarm, you can make the light come on continuous, blink fast, or blink slow. Multiple lights can be lit, so it will basically work like a MoTeC SLM but on the dash itself (any combination of lights on, colors, blinking, etc can be done for each alarm). You can also change background color of the dash with alarm and display a message or have a pop up message. The alarm can also control one of the digital outputs to work a relay to turn on a cooler, fan, pump, or even an extra seperate alarm light for the people who ignore dashes! Then to shut the alarm off, you can do it when the alarm condition is no longer met, the dash is turned off, a button pushed, or the data downloaded. Pretty cool!

You can also do alarms for wheel lock ups now too!

The new pages are very interesting with pages for drivers, crew, engine warmup, etc. Add in new SmartyCam integration, CAN expansions running at 200 Hz, the second CAN input, and things more.

I'm sure I've forgot a few things too. There are also a ton of background things that make these dashes some of the most powerful and precise loggers anywhere!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

RS3.03.10 is fixed now.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was talking to Mark at Iron Canyon Motorsports last night about his ICM fuel sender for my 2001 GT3 Cup. He mentioned that there is "smoothing" of channel input now that will help "calm down" a fuel level measurement/display while on track. Can any of you elaborate on how this would be setup in RS3 using the ICM fuel level connection plugged into one of the 8 analog channels?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Was talking to Mark at Iron Canyon Motorsports last night about his ICM fuel sender for my 2001 GT3 Cup. He mentioned that there is "smoothing" of channel input now that will help "calm down" a fuel level measurement/display while on track. Can any of you elaborate on how this would be setup in RS3 using the ICM fuel level connection plugged into one of the 8 analog channels?
In the channel setup it's listed under filtering. I will post a screen shot later.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In my opinion, the setting up of the ICM is what takes time. To calibrate, you need to pump out the tank, then add one gallon at a time and take raw readings, THEN enter the custom sensor values. I do it twice.

The smoothing is not a big deal and doesn't affect the readout.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is the photo of where to find the smoothing.

The setup is going to be the same no matter what you use for a sensor as you will have to calibrate it as a custom sensor. Depending on what you want for accuracy, you don't have to do it gallon by gallon. You can do it 2 or 3 gallons at a time, it will just affect the accuracy a bit. It's not hard, it just takes some time.

The smoothing of the signal in the dash should make a big difference
in an application like this. It will smooth the fuel sloshing similar to what the Iron Canyon device did. I would try the smoothing before you invest in the adapter, especially if the guy at Iron Canyon said to do that!
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:29 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

aim just captured a huge piece of motec's business. i loved the simplicity and modern flare of AIM but felt it lacked a lot. and yet motec , for me, was overkill.
AIM did a great job here.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt. I've ordered the ICM sensor (after securing Ohm ranges) and will report back on setup.

Toby
Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you have the ohm readings, it is very easy. The laborious part is getting the ohm readings.

Quick Reply: AiM RS3 and MXL2 and MXG relaesed