Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM RS3 and MXL2 and MXG relaesed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014 | 09:56 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Gentleman,
Thank you for all your input. Joe Hullet has been working on my car for a while and I had already told him that I will upgrade through him when the new system arrives. I may have misquoted the ECU bridge. I will clarify with him. As a fellow, rennlist and track junkie, I just loved to hear from them he experts.
I prefer the MXG, but looks like it won't fit in my dash. It needs 5 inches clearance.

Originally Posted by amso3
surathdp

Did you say that you have an ECU bridge in a 993? Are you running a Motec ECU? Something doesn't sound right there.

I have a customer who contacted me today looking for a used MXL. It is difficult to determine value of a used MXL though. If many people upgrade, like Peter suggests, the value will be lower, the supply and demand thing. If you want to work with Matt (he started this thread) I can point him or you toward my guy to see if he wants your unit. I think there will be a market out there because more and more are moving toward data, and a used Pista will be a great solution for the small budget minded trackies.
Old 12-02-2014 | 09:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
Whoa! If someone does this, they screw the opportunity to resell the old MXL. The MXL harness would cost $330 to replace. The standard harness with the MXL 2 is the way to go.
Agreed.

I checked with AiM Sports USA and they have no price yet, because they're not yet here...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-02-2014 | 10:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by surathdp
Joe Hullet has been working on my car for a while and I had already told him that I will upgrade through him when the new system arrives.
Joe is a gem! Good deal.
Old 12-02-2014 | 11:02 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

So at around $1350-1450, a used Pista dash would compete with a new Evo-4 + G-dash.

The Pista would have the larger display, but the Evo 4/G-dash the better acquisition hardware? Any other thoughts what to choose between the two?
Old 12-02-2014 | 11:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

MXL Pista is a dash replacement, or meant to be. G-Dash may be a little too small for that, but with the programmable alarms, you may not need to see real-time values.

I have never been in love with the MXL, it's well built, but a legacy piece, IMO. Without an actuall sensor for LongG, it's not useful for my purposes. Even the Solo and the Solo DL have tri-axial accelerometers.

The EVO4 and the Solo's are same, fourth or fifth generation architecture. MXL is third gen and the new stuff is a new generation, period.

I use an EVO 4 and a G-Dash as my dash, tach and instrument cluster replacement. No problems.
Old 12-03-2014 | 12:00 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
So at around $1350-1450, a used Pista dash would compete with a new Evo-4 + G-dash.

The Pista would have the larger display, but the Evo 4/G-dash the better acquisition hardware? Any other thoughts what to choose between the two?
Like Peter said, the Evo4 has the triaxial accelerometer, where the MXL Pista does not. I don't consider that a deal breaker.

After that, it's really a vehicle and sensor specific question in my opinion. An Evo4 can have a higher total sampling frequency, but has less analog inputs (8 for the Pista and 5 for the Evo4) that are able to sample at above 100 Hz. This can be important if you want to do suspension sensors and something like tire temps or brake temps. The Evo4 has more native memory, but if you use a memory key, it doesn't matter. The Evo4 requires patch cables that cost more than the patch cables for the Pista.

Hardware and output file they work the same. Same GPS integration, Smartycam integration, and all of that. Same analysis software.

I personally like the 6 alarms on the MXL over the 4 on the G-Dash, but you won't go wrong with either setup.
Old 12-03-2014 | 12:59 AM
kgorman
Drifting

The evo4 is a really nice setup. Concur with it being a gen ahead of MXL, but not MXL2. It's a nice step between the solo and a full on dash. It's also a nice clean install, as it's simple screw in binders. You can start with just logger and add gdash later, or even pista if you want the full dash form factor. I suspect the pista is about dcomm'd though.
Old 12-03-2014 | 09:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, the Pista is end-of-life now, with the new dashes coming out.

The EVO4/MXL-Dash combination is something that I've sold a fair amount of. If they have some sensor values coming in on CAN or K-Line, the open channels on the EVO 4 are plenty for the rest.

Instead of selling MXL Pistas for the last few years, for the same price, I supply the EVO4/MXL-Dash with much more functionality. The EVO4 is $1199, the MXL-Dash is $899 and together, they're sold for $1999.
Old 12-05-2014 | 10:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Roger just released the second video on the MXL2/MXG configuration. This is a great way to learn how to configure these very powerful dashes.

Old 12-05-2014 | 11:58 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For anyone with the MXL2 or MXG and a SmartyCam HD / HD GP, AiM released a new firmware to improve compatibility with the SmartyCam. Find it here http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/firmware.htm
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:14 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't have my copy of RS3 handy, but does it support firmware updates to the device within the context of RS3 itself as opposed to running a distinct firm-up process for the device? I think it does, but I don't remember.

Thus, if you are an RS3 user, I assume the preferred firmware update method would be to use RS3, and other non-RS3 users would continue to do the standalone firm-up method?
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Don't have my copy of RS3 handy, but does it support firmware updates to the device within the context of RS3 itself as opposed to running a distinct firm-up process for the device? I think it does, but I don't remember.

Thus, if you are an RS3 user, I assume the preferred firmware update method would be to use RS3, and other non-RS3 users would continue to do the standalone firm-up method?
Yes, but for the MXG and MXL2 only, within RS3, on the Device Information page.

So, even if you have RS3 installed, for every piece of equipment prior to the two latest display loggers, you will use the AiM Firmware Updater available here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...140521_WEB.exe
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Duplicate
Old 12-05-2014 | 12:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's a day of updates. A new firmware for the MXL2 and MXG was just released. Remember to do this in RS3. I've included a screen shot of where to click. When you have a logger connected, you'll see an area where to update the firmware. Roger covers this in the second video.

Details on the update are at http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/firmware.htm
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2014 | 04:26 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter, I may be going off of bad memory here, but I really remember updating my SC HD GP's firmware last weekend using RS3. Can you (or anyone else for that matter) confirm that firmware updates are available for other (connected at the time) devices using RS3?

Quick Reply: AiM RS3 and MXL2 and MXG relaesed