Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014 | 01:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To get back on topic, here are a couple of photos to show the scale difference in the MXL2 and MXG. I also grabbed a shot of the motorsport connectors on the back of the billet housing, the new USB download port, and the high density motorsport harness connector. The connectors, harness, and features are identical through the MXL2 and MXG.

One of the big benefits is the new download port takes a regular USB Mini-B plug. You can buy these everywhere in case you forget the cable. Not like the MXL proprietary download cable.

I have 1 MXL2 and 1 MXG that are available if anyone is interested. PM or email me.
Attached Images       
Old 12-01-2014 | 02:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
One of the big benefits is the new download port takes a regular USB Mini-B plug. You can buy these everywhere in case you forget the cable. .
It is a little dicey because all the old grey AiM USB cables (that came with the Solos and the SC HD's) have a thicker surround than will easily fit into the new dash bulkhead fitting included in the MXG and the MXL2. It fits, but doesn't slide home fully, so if you have a connectivity issue with the new dashes, try another cable, first.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-01-2014 | 05:07 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

I just put in a MXL/smartycam system in my race car but the sucker that I am for this data stuff, I want to upgrade already!! What is the consensus MXL2 versus MXG for a Porsche 911 already pre-wired/setup with MXL pista ?

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It is a little dicey because all the old grey AiM USB cables (that came with the Solos and the SC HD's) have a thicker surround than will easily fit into the new dash bulkhead fitting included in the MXG and the MXL2. It fits, but doesn't slide home fully, so if you have a connectivity issue with the new dashes, try another cable, first.
Old 12-01-2014 | 05:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by surathdp
I just put in a MXL/smartycam system in my race car but the sucker that I am for this data stuff, I want to upgrade already!! What is the consensus MXL2 versus MXG for a Porsche 911 already pre-wired/setup with MXL pista ?
Well, the beauty of the MXL2 harness is that it's pretty much plug and play with the old MXL Pista harness. AFAIK, nothing will need to be changed. The MXL2 first four channels are included on the primary harness that comes with the unit. If you have more than four analog channels, you will need the 22-pin expansion harness, available for $355.

The MXL2 is a HUGE upgrade from the MXL.

Half of the units I've already sold are to users upgrading, which is more than I thought would choose to do that. Most are putting the old units in a second car or a teammates car.

The addition of integrated GPS, addition of the triaxial accelerometers, addition of pitch, yaw and roll gyros, MUCH faster processor, better OS and 32GB flash memory (take that, MoTeC!?!?), MUCH better screen and a variety of parameter viewing options make it more than just a pretty face.

What year 911?

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-02-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Can't find maths in the MXL2...
Old 12-01-2014 | 05:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Both the MXL2 and MXG use the same wiring, so that part doesn't matter. Configuration of the two is basically the same (different screens, but same sensor config, etc).

The biggest difference is the size. I can email you templates so you can print them out and see which one will fit in your dash the best.
Old 12-01-2014 | 06:18 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

It is a 1996 993.
Already got AIM MXL /smartycam HD installed with brake, speed and ECU bridge in place.

----------
the beauty of the MXL2 harness is that it's pretty much plug and play with the old MXL Pista harness. AFAIK, nothing will need to be changed. The MXL2 first four channels are included on the primary harness that comes with the unit. If you have more than four analog channels, you will need the 22-pin expansion harness, available for $355.

The MXL2 is a HUGE upgrade from the MXL. Half of the units I've already sold are to users upgrading, which is more than I thought would choose to do that. The addition of integrated GPS, addition of the triaxial accelerometers, addition of pitch, yaw and roll gyros, internal maths, MUCH faster processor, better OS and 32GB flash memory (take that, MoTeC!?!?), MUCH better screen and a variety of parameter viewing options make it more than just a pretty face.

What year 911?[/QUOTE]
Old 12-01-2014 | 06:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Then you have an almost plug and play replacement. That is an easy one.
Old 12-01-2014 | 08:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by surathdp
It is a 1996 993.
Already got AIM MXL /smartycam HD installed with brake, speed and ECU bridge in place.
Just wondering why you needed this? The MXL "translates" all the information for the SmartyCam HD already. Usually, an ECU Bridge is used for non-logger equipped cars that can connect to an OBD-II plug or K-Line and get limited info like RPM, coolant temp and pedal position. Should not be necessary. Just wondering...

Just send your current config (in the MXL configuration page on your laptop) or if not, send your MXL to the person selling you the new dash and have them configure your new one so that it IS plug and play.
Old 12-01-2014 | 08:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sent the first of several MXG's and MXL2's out today. Here is a shift light and alarm screen for an LS2 powered third gen RX7...
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2014 | 08:37 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

surathdp

Did you say that you have an ECU bridge in a 993? Are you running a Motec ECU? Something doesn't sound right there.

I have a customer who contacted me today looking for a used MXL. It is difficult to determine value of a used MXL though. If many people upgrade, like Peter suggests, the value will be lower, the supply and demand thing. If you want to work with Matt (he started this thread) I can point him or you toward my guy to see if he wants your unit. I think there will be a market out there because more and more are moving toward data, and a used Pista will be a great solution for the small budget minded trackies.
Old 12-01-2014 | 09:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I see the prices for used MXL Pistas, with the harness and including the optional GPS antenna pretty stable between $1350-$1450, a little more if it's in the box and "as new," a little less without the antenna or beat up. My trade in value is typically $1000-$1100, again with harness and an antenna.

They're stout units, and demand is high...
Old 12-01-2014 | 09:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

AiM just released the first of their "How to use RS3" videos. Check it out!

Old 12-01-2014 | 11:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Nice job, Roger!
Old 12-02-2014 | 08:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now the changeover from MXL to MXL2/MXG is really plug and play. AiM just released a conversion harness! http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...er-harness.htm
Old 12-02-2014 | 09:56 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Whoa! If someone does this, they screw the opportunity to resell the old MXL. The MXL harness would cost $330 to replace. The standard harness with the MXL 2 is the way to go.

Quick Reply: AiM RS3 and MXL2 and MXG relaesed