Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Showtime went too far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's crazy that sanctioning bodies need to make rules about not walking(running) onto a hot track after your car stops. Yellow flag or not...

Regardless of the intent of TS, that was a Darwin move without question from the deceased. I feel bad for his friends, family, and his soul. No doubt that if the deceased could foresee this event he would have never approached the vehicles.

It's a shame that TS was the same person that was "involved" in the initial crash that sparked the anger. Had he not been involved in the initial crash, or had he not been the target of the deceased's anger, I think the debate would be a simple conclusion: accident.

No doubt in my mind that this is a racing incident, a true accident... the context of reckless and endangering behavior, or even malice intent, is impossible to separate within an arena of such high risk.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Seatbelts? Motorcycle helmets? Mountainbike Helmets???

Are you surprised?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM
rwgrif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Here's stabilized/slowed video.

If you look closely, it almost appears that Ward was trying to grab hold of Tony's wing and fell. This is not an original thought of mine....I read it and this slow mo looks kinda like that.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like TS was trying very hard to turn away from Ward, not into him.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Smoke to learn his fate here in about an hour... (whether the Grand Jury returns indictment or not)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nent/16153577/
Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks like Tony won't be charged. It also looks like Ward was high on the track. That should end that. It still totally sucks for Tony though.

CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. -- NASCAR driver Tony Stewart will not be charged for his role in the on-track death of 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. in August, Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo announced.

Tantillo announced at a press conference that Ward had marijuana in his system at the time of the crash.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

yep.
Tony Stewart Not Charged In Death Of Kevin Ward Jr.
s the racing world awaits a 3 p.m. press conference in upstate New York where a District Attorney will announce the results of a grand jury investigation into Tony Stewart's fatal crash into driver Kevin Ward Jr., TMZ reports that the grand jury has declined to charge Stewart with any crimes. (UPDATE: Confirmed.)

Update: The grand jury's decision has been confirmed. Ontario County DA Michael Tantillo said the grand jury found "no basis to charge Stewart with a crime."

Tantillo said that more than two dozen witnesses testified before the 23-member grand jury panel, including police, medical officials, track personnel, accident reconstruction experts and others. The grand jury also viewed photos, videos and other evidence, he said.

That Kevin Ward "ran onto a hot track while other cars were racing played a big, big factor" in their decision, Tantillo said.

Tantillo also gave the surprising revelation that Ward was under the influence of marijuana, "enough to impair his judgement" that evening.

http://jalopnik.com/tmz-report-tony-...f-k-1638689280
Old 09-24-2014, 06:30 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Big surprise here was that Ward tested positive for MJ.

This is pretty shocking, and also pretty convenient for the powers that be.

I'm not a toxicologist, but my understanding is that THC can remain detectable in the system for many days, or even weeks, so simply testing positive may not be conclusive.

If the guy was smoking before the race, I'm not too sympathetic, but if was hitting it on Thursday night and racing on Saturday, that's a different matter IMHO.

What was the testing protocol, and how do they know it could "impair his judgement"?

In my experience, racing adrenaline can also "impair judgement."

Be interesting to get more detail on the Tox report, but I suspect the lawyers will work overtime to keep this out of public view.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From the D.A.'s press conference:

Q: Was there enough marijuana in Kevin Ward Jr.'s system to impair judgment?

The levels that were determined were enough to impair judgment. Yes.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...jury/16174249/
Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Big surprise here was that Ward tested positive for MJ.

This is pretty shocking, and also pretty convenient for the powers that be.

I'm not a toxicologist, but my understanding is that THC can remain detectable in the system for many days, or even weeks, so simply testing positive may not be conclusive.

If the guy was smoking before the race, I'm not too sympathetic, but if was hitting it on Thursday night and racing on Saturday, that's a different matter IMHO.

What was the testing protocol, and how do they know it could "impair his judgement"?

In my experience, racing adrenaline can also "impair judgement."

Be interesting to get more detail on the Tox report, but I suspect the lawyers will work overtime to keep this out of public view.
When you hear of drug tests, as in Marijuana use detection, we are often misinformed about testing for THC. THC is the active ingredient in marijuana and the chemical responsible for the high. However, routine histological urine tests detect a different chemical called THC-COOH....this is what is known as a "**** test."

THC-COOH is a metabolite of THC. It is produced when the liver breaks down THC and stays in the body for much longer than raw THC.

Levels of THC present in an autopsy are not detected/sought under the guise of a histological standpoint...if stand alone, non metabolized THC is detected...marijuana was used very, very recently.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Before heading out for HPDE they always say "no drugs or alcohol" and I would wonder what kind of idiot would drink or take drugs before driving on the track. Now we know.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:46 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Ward was irate. Cannibis usually mellows u down unlike coke which jacks u up. Anyway what a sad incident. Mike
Old 09-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My prediction was that Stewart would not be indicted but that a $$$ lawsuit would follow. The latter might still happen but the marijuana aspect is a terrible blow to a civil suit. If I was Stewart, I would fight any lawsuit like hell. Hopefully Ward's family can step back and get some perspective. Tragedy either way.

Quick Reply: Showtime went too far?