Sponsored by:

Showtime went too far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Well I've seen the video now. OMG, it is the ultimate in red mist. Getting out of your car on a hot track just to shake your fist at someone shows an extraordinary amount of rage and lack of composure. Horribly avoidable.
That behavior should draw extremely harsh penalties - huge fines, suspensions, etc. I suspect we'll see rule changes in most series as a result of this incident.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
That behavior should draw extremely harsh penalties - huge fines, suspensions, etc. I suspect we'll see rule changes in most series as a result of this incident.
It drew a very harsh penalty, unfortunately.

I doubt this driver was rationally considering consequences when he did this.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enough of this you should stay in your car BS. Every time two cars enter a circle track someone inevitably gets out of their car on track, wags a finger or throws a helmet - a favorite of Tony's. From the account I read it sounds like Stewart gunned the throttle next to him which caused his car to swerve.
I think a jury will get the last word on whose fault it was.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...len-kevin-ward

Last edited by car_slave; 08-11-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by car_slave
Enough of this you should stay in your car BS. Every time two cars enter a circle track someone inevitably gets out of their car on track, wags a finger or throws a helmet - a favorite of Tony's. From the account I read it sounds like Stewart gunned the throttle next to him which caused his car to swerve.
I think a jury will get the last word on whose fault is was.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...len-kevin-ward
Maybe getting out of the car is rampant in these circles (no pun intended), but it is without doubt dumb dumb dumb.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:26 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ions/13862327/

Last edited by mongrelcat; 08-10-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by car_slave
Enough of this you should stay in your car BS.
Ok, enough "BS". I think we can all agree that nothing good will come from walking onto the edge of the racing line, on a dirt track, at night , while wearing a black fire suit.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I know zero-point-zero about sprint cars but those endplates-slash-blinders couldn't have helped visibility in this situation. A racer's vision is trigger tuned to look for cars, corners, curbs, and walls...a person hopping in a black suit might have just not been seen until it was too late.

TS throttle jab could have been an effort to turn the nose away instead of hitting Ward square with his car....but who knows. Terrible accident, and the press and public might possibly turn it into something even uglier.
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The deceased, Kevin Ward, paid the ultimate price for losing control of his judgement. Had he remained inside his steel cage, this thread would not be here now.

Tony Stewart lashed out with his car this time instead of his helmet. It's plainly obvious from high-quality video (that anyone can view if they chose to) that he targeted Ward, whose body, his head actually, was literally spun under Tony Stewart's RR wheel. Stewart punched the throttle, aimed the car, knocked the other man down and Steward stayed in the throttle as the back end stepped out with Ward under the car, the back wheel went over Wards body twirling it like a ragdoll.

The autopsy will show Kevin Ward died instantly of a snapped neck.

Stewart was never disciplined for any prior violent transgressions, and there were many, therefore this event should not come as a surprise to anyone. A manslaughter charge for Stewart seems a foregone conclusion once all the video has been reviewed.

Basic savagery by all, appealing to the plebes, and profiting from it. Not too far removed from Roman times at all.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
A racer's vision is trigger tuned to look for cars, corners, curbs, and walls...a person hopping in a black suit might have just not been seen until it was too late.
^^ This.

I had a corner worker walk out to the apex of a high speed corner I was entering to pick up a piece of debris. Hot track, no flags, no nothing. It was *very* unsettling and he was very difficult to see and I saw him very late. On a hot track, your brain is just not ready for a person walking anywhere near the racing surface.

This level of stupidity is Darwin Award territory. I doubt Tony ever saw him.

-Mike
Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Tony Stewart lashed out with his car this time instead of his helmet. It's plainly obvious that he targeted Ward,

A manslaughter charge for Stewart seems a foregone conclusion once all the video has been reviewed.
Nice editorial, sparky...
Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Stewart punched the throttle, aimed the car, knocked the other man down and Steward stayed in the throttle as the back end stepped out with Ward under the car, the back wheel went over Wards body twirling it like a ragdoll.
Do you really believe TS said to himself "I'm going to run this guy over with my car" and then went about it?

Red mist leads to a lot of regrettable behavior, but I can't believe a vet like TS with nothing to gain and everything to lose running in a series much *beneath* his station would have gone to the level your stating, not just suggesting.

Sad, preventable, tragedy Ward is gone, TS undoubtedly won't the same man either, he's going to suffer for this right or wrong.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,841 Posts

The deceased, Kevin Ward, paid the ultimate price for losing control of his judgement. Had he remained inside his steel cage, this thread would not be here now.

Tony Stewart lashed out with his car this time instead of his helmet. It's plainly obvious from high-quality video (that anyone can view if they chose to) that he targeted Ward, whose body, his head actually, was literally spun under Tony Stewart's RR wheel. Stewart punched the throttle, aimed the car, knocked the other man down and Steward stayed in the throttle as the back end stepped out with Ward under the car, the back wheel went over Wards body twirling it like a ragdoll.

The autopsy will show Kevin Ward died instantly of a snapped neck.

Stewart was never disciplined for any prior violent transgressions, and there were many, therefore this event should not come as a surprise to anyone. A manslaughter charge for Stewart seems a foregone conclusion once all the video has been reviewed.

Basic savagery by all, appealing to the plebes, and profiting from it. Not too far removed from Roman times at all.
I'm not a fan of NASCAR or dirt track racing but that being said, you are trying to make 1+1=3.

If you run on track invariably you will get a case of red mist. But I don't care how pissed off TS was - to say he was trying to kill him is just ridiculous and crazy talk!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In the spirit of your snap judgements, I am going to declare you a moron based on your one post that I have seen out of 3,500, and what I have learned from it on interwebs. I've really heard all I need to know.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

high-quality video (that anyone can view if they chose to)
Where do you find this high quality video?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Tony Stewart lashed out with his car this time instead of his helmet. It's plainly obvious from high-quality video (that anyone can view if they chose to) that he targeted Ward...
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the power of the internet. Powered by clueless idiots who are absolutely righteous based on vague video from cross-track (a looong way away), and the worst possible angle.
The autopsy will show...
And the lottery numbers tomorrow are ?

Savyboy - stick to forums dedicated to cat videos and conspiracy theories.

Der Professor says: No way any posted videos show enough to make any theory, much less conclusion, about Saturday night's incident at Canandaigua. Sad circumstances with tragic conclusion for Ward's family, and a life-long memory for Stewart.

If it hasn't been stated fully-enough - Savyboy...you're an idiot.

PHT

Last edited by Professor Helmüt Tester; 08-10-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Showtime went too far?