Sponsored by:

Showtime went too far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Never did see contact. Not sure why Ward was so pissed at TS to begin with. Thus I agree with the SHOWTIME sentiment.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
I am not a lawyer, but I find it very hard to believe that there is basis for a legitimate criminal suit.

A defense attorney could call 100 experienced racers as expert witnesses that would pretty much mirror the opinions stated by the experienced racers on this site... an unfortunate accident caused by poor judgement.

Although personally, I think TS is fully capable of losing his temper and swerving to intimidate the victim, suspicion is not proof of intent.

I suspect that in the absence of a confession by TS (which ain't ever going to happen), we'll never know. This will probably result in a sizable civil settlement with the family, and a dark cloud of suspicion hovering over TS forever.

Hopefully this will result in some needed culture change.
I agree with everything in your post, especially the parts in bold.

Despite the many hothead behaviors TS has demonstrated in the past, as others have stated, it’s not clear he would have had a reason to be angry or to try intimidating the kid after the wreck. It would be interesting to know if the two of them had been going at each other for multiple laps prior to the incident. If so, tempers may have been elevated prior to the incident, and that might explain why the kid was so angry after the initial wreck, which looks like a racing incident at best or his own fault at worst.

But as you stated so correctly, we will never know what TS was thinking at the point of the tragedy.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be shocked if Tony Stewart, with his potential liability exposure, would race anything anywhere without video.

I'm sure there is better video (hopefully Stewart's) that will clear this all up. And hopefully soon.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I am an attorney and 20 year road racer. I don't know NY law but here is my take.

Only TS knows what happened and I doubt it will ever be known. I will be surprised if there will be criminal charges--too hard to prove, even manslaughter. Civil case is possible but the family has to overcome the waiver (not easy) and the kid's serious contributory negligence. Tony would be subject to deposition in a civil case and even though he could plead the 5th, I suspect he will not want to be put under oath. A quiet settlement sounds likely.

Some questions: TS had a go pro, what does it show? I dont know if sprint cars usually run telemetry but did his car? Was he really in the throttle--sure sounds like it. What was the steering input?

If he was in the throttle, I cant reconcile why. Was he trying to spin the car to avoid him? Trying to intimidate him? A sad situation.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Why would Tony have lost his temper in this case? His car was undamaged and still racing after Ward went into the wall. Tony had nothing to be mad about.
Who knows? I've seen people do a lot of dumb-*** things in cars that made no sense.

Just acknowledging that TS has a record of anger issues, so fair or not, this encourages people to speculate.

Maybe he didn't like being showed up by some small-time punk, and wanted to show him who the big shot was.

Maybe he was just innocently moving over to get a better view of the track, and didn't see the guy until it was too late.

We can't look into the man's heart, so we'll probably never know.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe he didn't like being showed up by some small-time punk, and wanted to show him who the big shot was.
But Tony didn't get shown up. Ward tried to race Tony Stewart on the outside and lost. That's going to make Tony smile, not **** him off.

Some people are assuming Tony somehow bore this kid ill will, and it just isn't supported by the facts.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:56 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

About the audio with what sounds like ts inducing throttle and nailing ward could be mistaken for throttle lift ie engine braking and see ts's car rear end start to tail out which looks like a curtail sign of lifting. Anyway what a depressing and sad incident that shouldn't have happened if Ward stayed in car and go back to paddock and thr
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Throw fists/helmets then. Mike
Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Although personally, I think TS is fully capable of losing his temper and swerving to intimidate the victim, suspicion is not proof of intent.
Your entire post was excellent, and this quote sums up my state of mind. TS could have been angry at Ward for any host of reasons that we did not see. It is very plausible that TS was actually an unfortunate innocent party here, but his past reputation also makes it believable that he may have wanted to give Ward a scare. I am sure though that he did not mean to actually hit him.

No matter which way it really was, it is a very sad situation all around. A young man is dead, and another man may have to live with the terrible memory AND the doubts of some people (unfounded or not) for the rest of his life.

If TS does have some GoPro footage that would clearly exonerate him, that would be the best outcome at this stage...
Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read on twitter that there was no GoPro.

For a 20 year professional racer with three titles, racing in a hobby race what's the point?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My real question, which I don't believe has been discussed, is whether or not he had a spotter working on his radio. I'm not familiar with this type of racing, so don't know if that's a standard practice or not. But, I would also be very interested in radio transmissions just prior to and post accident.

At the end of the day, I have a VERY hard time believing that any racer, much less TS, would intentionally hit an unprotected driver. Even if he was trying to "intimidate", it has to be an accident that he made contact.

Regardless of the actions of the other driver, I place 99% of the responsibility on the guy who got out of his car and ran into active race traffic. That being said, it's a terrible tragedy all the way around and he paid a terrible price for that decision. My thoughts are with his family and those that loved him.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's stabilized/slowed video.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
But Tony didn't get shown up. Ward tried to race Tony Stewart on the outside and lost. That's going to make Tony smile, not **** him off.

Some people are assuming Tony somehow bore this kid ill will, and it just isn't supported by the facts.
I don't believe for one second that Tony Stewart would ever intentionally hurt another driver.

When you are racing, you just react, and in that split second, you find out who you are.

I don't know who he is, and I cannot judge him. We don't. Maybe he doesn't either.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Racers in my experience are fiercely protective of each other because of their shared risk. For those who haven't strapped in before they see little space between a hothead throwing a helmet at a moving car and a person running another racer down, but to me the two things are a universe apart.

Quick Reply: Showtime went too far?