Sponsored by:

14 Clash at the Glen Video tread :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
That DP had little chance of making the corner either. Wow, what a "practice" start.
I think the DP would have been fine (2 wide) until the OP needed to move over to avoid the incoming out-of-control dive bomb (making it 3 wide).

We need to start making better decisions in the Bus Stop or PCA is going to require a point-bye for us to pass there. There were a lot of incidents there last weekend...

Do ya'll remember the Bus Stop dive bomb video from last year? That was a good one!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I wonder if the problem is some PCA racers graduate from PCA DE to PCA racing

PCA DE doesn't run much open - no point by passing in a DE setting...making a PCA only racer / DE guy learn the hard way
Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Maybe "they" need to read this good review on passing:

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...ing-etiquette/

I wonder if Mr. Seipp is going to compensate the other cup drover for damages?
Old 06-08-2014, 04:10 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I wonder if the problem is some PCA racers graduate from PCA DE to PCA racing
I know, for a FACT, of two such types who hardly even "graduated" from structured DEs, much less the PCA DE "program". Edit to add: Come to think of it, I know of more than two.

And yes, they created a few problems and were in WAY over their heads.

Last edited by KaiB; 06-08-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

FYI: Mr Seipp is extremely experienced at PCA club racing going back decades. Apparently he had a catastrophic front brake pad failure (bad broke apart and art of it left the car) as he applied the brakes before he comes into view in Clarke's video. I saw the remainder of the brake pad. He simply could not stop.

Full disclosure: he is not a client of mine.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
The #91 Cup Car Frederick Seipp got the 13, left his bent race car with his trackside support crew and went home.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
FYI: Mr Seipp is extremely experienced at PCA club racing going back decades. Apparently he had a catastrophic front brake pad failure (bad broke apart and art of it left the car) as he applied the brakes before he comes into view in Clarke's video. I saw the remainder of the brake pad. He simply could not stop.

This does not add up. He would not get a 13 for brake failure. And his response "...this is racing. Isn't this what we are here for?" are not the words of an experienced PCA racer.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:07 PM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Hey Billy.....sorry you couldn't make it to the Enduro. Great racing this past weekend. Man you had me in that second sprint....miss a shift, or something? I about ran into the back of you on the front straight.
Yes, third, forth shift fork broke. At the freAkn checker.

Great race though

Bill
Old 06-08-2014, 09:18 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

took me two years of running cups to finally learn my lesson, but now i pretty much double tap the brakes iwth my left foot just before the brake zone so i know what i have. not sure it would have helped him,m but it at minimum pushes back pads and you have some comfort. i watched a lot of videos and not enough cup guys are tapping their brakes to verify they have brakes heading into these brake zones. the guy seemed to be stepping on the brakes a, the brake lights are on, and he's not stopping, no lock up. tough deal, thankfully noone was hammered too bad and he took the worst of the knock.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It is amazing how unreliable the purpose build Porsche race cars are....... (Sarcasm)

Why would anyone race one knowing they are so unreliable?...... (Sarcasm)

Regardless....... brakes or no brakes that pass was just an incident waiting to happen...... but let's blame the brakes.....
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

I think after the incident and since his car was damaged, that he should have pulled off on the short straight that NASCAR runs rather than limp a wounded race car down through the boot.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I think after the incident and since his car was damaged, that he should have pulled off on the short straight that NASCAR runs rather than limp a wounded race car down through the boot.
Agree, I was surprised when I saw him go past it with smoke pouring out the rear of the car... whole thing is very strange.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good hands
This does not add up. He would not get a 13 for brake failure. And his response "...this is racing. Isn't this what we are here for?" are not the words of an experienced PCA racer.
I have no idea what was behind the 13. Nonetheless, the brake was damaged. In addition, I was not there to hear these words, nor the question that precipitated it, however I am sure none of us have presidential speechwriters standing by when we are incredibly upset and distracted after an incident in our race cars. In addition, Mr Seipp had an incredibly successful PCA racing career in (I believe) the 1990's, and has also successfully completed the Rolex 24 at Daytona, also in the 1990's. To say he is inexperienced is ignorant.

None of this is to take any side in this incident, nor to offer any opinion about the move which led to the crash. That is for the stewards alone. But some context is useful among all the armchair QBing here...

Originally Posted by spg993tt
took me two years of running cups to finally learn my lesson, but now i pretty much double tap the brakes iwth my left foot just before the brake zone so i know what i have. not sure it would have helped him,m but it at minimum pushes back pads and you have some comfort. i watched a lot of videos and not enough cup guys are tapping their brakes to verify they have brakes heading into these brake zones. the guy seemed to be stepping on the brakes a, the brake lights are on, and he's not stopping, no lock up. tough deal, thankfully noone was hammered too bad and he took the worst of the knock.
Agreed. I do this with my left foot in any car I drive on track, particularly at tracks where you use a lot of the rumblestriips, like Watkins Glen and COTA. I have no idea whether Mr Seipp does/did this.

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
It is amazing how unreliable the purpose build Porsche race cars are....... (Sarcasm)

Why would anyone race one knowing they are so unreliable?...... (Sarcasm)

Regardless....... brakes or no brakes that pass was just an incident waiting to happen...... but let's blame the brakes.....
I am neither defending the move nor blaming anything. Just adding context for the armchair QB's here.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

BS. I talked to him right after the INCIDENT - after the "fun race" was over I found his car in the paddock and asked for him whereupon he came out to speak with me. There was no mention of brake failure or any other mechanical failure. The conversation was about his failure of judgement.
Any brake failure was a manufactured lie to avoid a 13.
And I have no idea if he actually got a 13, I never checked since the next morning he was gone.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Fast line into bus stop going 3 wide avoiding other cars :-)

Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Clarke, all I am saying is that I personally saw the affected brake parts. Whether he mentioned it to you or not in the heat of the moment is not really relevant, especially since you were not involved in the contact. Yes, were it me, I would have been profusely apologetic to all involved, regardless of the cause. It is unfortunate that you say he was not. Nevertheless, I can assure you, the issue with the brake was not "manufactured", regardless of the wisdom of that sort of pass in a fun race or whether a 13 was issued or not.

Quick Reply: 14 Clash at the Glen Video tread :-)