Sponsored by:

David Murray at VIR - pics of new paving

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I hope they mark the track edge and paint the extra pavement past the outside curbings at T3 and T12, otherwise it's just a cheat. Still there, still usable, but not really optimal and a good indicator you just screwed up... The fastest line does not use that extra pavement THAT EARLY in the track out radius!
Originally Posted by ProCoach
The extra asphalt is more of a boon to confidence than geometry, but whatever works!
Peter,
Can you please explain what you mean by your comments about the new extra pavement? In this video, Mike Skeen is using every millimeter of pavement:

Also can you explain what you mean by "verge lines?" Thanks, as usual, for your (free!) advice.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Fastest lap, my fifth lap on the new surface. Half the weight, half the horsepower as Skeen's tank. Fiffteen seconds a lap quicker. Cup territory...

You can use the excess at the exit of T3 and T12 if you want, but that's not the fast way. I don't care what anyone says... The geometry does not support that. It's a safety net, that's all.

PS. I was Skeen's first CI in 2004 and saw his talent back then. His line is beautiful, especially through South Bend, but the steering input, throttle ameliorations and general untidiness at T3 and T12 is undesirable. He is TRYING to use the exit to see what it does to the car platform. In a softly spring tank like that, not much.

OTOH, the more I look at it, the sloppier my lap is, especially in T11-T12!

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-21-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: David Murray at VIR - pics of new paving