David Murray at VIR - pics of new paving

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by TedA
Attending Peter's track walk on Wednesday afternoon was worth a few seconds! FWIW I took a solid two seconds off my previous best lap time on Thursday. No tire squeal, and somewhere around 40 degree ambient temperature.
Hahaha! Good to see you, Ted!

That track walk (all 2 hours and 15 minutes of it) was really cool. I love doing those and learn something new EVERY time...
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,990 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Peter, nice presentation at the Chin event. I wish it could have continued for another hour.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Peter, nice presentation at the Chin event. I wish it could have continued for another hour.
Hahaha! That was fun! Kept asking if y'all wanted to go to lunch, but everyone said "NO!"

I could have easily done that. Talking with Mark Hicks and now some Zone 2 folks about coming in and doing that again, and for other tracks.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Ditto.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by m3bs
Ditto.
Thank you!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the event!

I just dropped a Guards LSD in the car, so I was really looking forward to quantifying the improvement that it makes. I guess now I'll never know...

As for the pavement "rubbering in", there was a gentleman at one of the Chin or DMTD events a couple of years ago at VIR that gave a presentation on tires and had written a book on them. He was saying, if I recall correctly, that rubbering in is a misnomer. That actually, the tires were cleaning off dust and debris (and the black marks on the track were just a sign that they had been there), and it is the lack of dirt and debris that makes the track faster.

In the same line of thinking, what is actually happening to the track over the first months after repaving to make it faster? Is it curing? is the surface getting rubbed smoother (if smoother, to the right degree, is better)?

Just curious.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Just back from the HPDE with Zone 2 at VIR and I can report that the new surface is fantastic... Once you get used to it. The visual cues are very different, especially with the Oak Tree gone. The track looks wider in places where it isn't, but it actually is wider in turn 3 (NASCAR bend) and coming out of the Oak Tree turn (which should be renamed). Both have pavement on the other side of the tiger teeth that was not there before. You have to travel across the tire teeth to use it, though. There is no way to hit it without doing so unless you're not moving at speed.

South Bend also seems wider to me, though that could just be because that turn has always messed with my head. It's flat, not off camber, as seen from the Villas. That helped me keep it in fourth through there on day 2.

I'm nowhere near y'all's level, but I picked up 13 seconds over last year's best lap. That was fun.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Courtshark
Just back from the HPDE with Zone 2 at VIR and I can report that the new surface is fantastic... Once you get used to it.

The visual cues are very different, especially with the Oak Tree gone. The track looks wider in places where it isn't, but it actually is wider in turn 3 (NASCAR bend) and coming out of the Oak Tree turn (which should be renamed).

Both have pavement on the other side of the tiger teeth that was not there before. You have to travel across the tire teeth to use it, though. There is no way to hit it without doing so unless you're not moving at speed.

South Bend also seems wider to me, though that could just be because that turn has always messed with my head. It's flat, not off camber, as seen from the Villas. That helped me keep it in fourth through there on day 2.

I'm nowhere near y'all's level, but I picked up 13 seconds over last year's best lap. That was fun.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Most of the visual cues that have been lost are the references provided by the verge lines that are not yet back on the track surface. These helped people, from far away approaches, judge their geometry of approach, their angle of attack and most of all, helped define the edges of the track.

You just have to look UP now!

While the track is 6' wider on the outside of the exit of T1 and the right side on the entry and exit of T3 (NASCAR), you need to make a decision on whether to use it in between! Remember, you have more width to cross to get to the apex, so while the sight lines are different, the geometry that yields the fastest sector times through corners and complexes of corners is largely unchanged.

I hope they mark the track edge and paint the extra pavement past the outside curbings at T3 and T12, otherwise it's just a cheat. Still there, still usable, but not really optimal and a good indicator you just screwed up... The fastest line does not use that extra pavement THAT EARLY in the track out radius!

South Bent (T10) has not been altered at all. It has ALWAYS been 4' wider right of ceneterline at the exit, since the repave in 1999. What an awesome corner, but one that challenges most drivers the most in raising their vMin through the corner!

Congrats on your improvement! Good luck and hope to see everyone up there April 8-9!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good luck and hope to see everyone up there April 8-9!
Oh yeah! My first drive in the Super Cayman. It will be great to have the SST crew there.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The grip level is REALLY good. The extra asphalt is more of a boon to confidence than geometry, but whatever works!

I've been trying for fourteen YEARS to break 2:00 in my 150 bhp, 30 year old historic sports racer and FINALLY did a 1:59.9 on my fifth lap after the resurfacing. It was a VERY sloppy lap! Normally in the 1:59's at the Glen, 1:22's at Thunderbolt, low :53's at Lime Rock, a high 2:19 at COTA, but VIR, my home track, is a tough one.

Yes, I will drink champagne tonight!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 220 Posts

Congrats Peter! Now how about a 1:58?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The grip level is REALLY good. The extra asphalt is more of a boon to confidence than geometry, but whatever works!

I've been trying for fourteen YEARS to break 2:00 in my 150 bhp, 30 year old historic sports racer and FINALLY did a 1:59.9 on my fifth lap after the resurfacing. It was a VERY sloppy lap! Normally in the 1:59's at the Glen, 1:22's at Thunderbolt, low :53's at Lime Rock, a high 2:19 at COTA, but VIR, my home track, is a tough one.

Yes, I will drink champagne tonight!
Normally 53's at Limerock? In what, the GTC3 record is 54.167...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 795 Likes on 511 Posts

S2000
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 793 Posts

F350 SuperDuty
Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Normally 53's at Limerock? In what, the GTC3 record is 54.167...
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
S2000
Tiga SC84 and 150?? Knapp built you a nice motor.

Quick Reply: David Murray at VIR - pics of new paving