Sponsored by:

PCA 2015 slider ruling - ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Why the great reluctance to install a seat back brace? Seems like the simplest solution... I have one!
See below
Originally Posted by John Milne
If you put in a slider you can not use a seat back brace and still slide the seat back.

I would like to change to a containment style seat, but to do so and still be able to exit the car safely, I would need to have a slider.

Hopefully a good solution that is not prohibitively complex and expensive can be found
Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Why the great reluctance to install a seat back brace? Seems like the simplest solution... I have one!
Originally Posted by John Milne
If you do not need or want sliders, the seat back brace is not a problem. If you put in a slider you can not use a seat back brace and still slide the seat back.

I would like to change to a containment style seat, but to do so and still be able to exit the car safely, I would need to have a slider.

Hopefully a good solution that is not prohibitively complex and expensive can be found
I'll add on more thought on that. A number of years ago, I backed into a wall going bout 70mph. I had a composite seat mounted on Sparco sliders, and no seat brace. The sliders held up, but the seat was deformed by the impact. You could see when you looked at it that it was out of "square".

The components of the driver restraint system (belts, HANS, seat,...) are designed to have some give in them. It's all about spreading the deceleration out over a slightly longer period of time so that the driver experiences lower G-forces. Had I had a seat brace behind my seat, there would have been no "give" in the seat. My seat wouldn't have deformed, but I wonder about how my back would have fared.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 912 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
The components of the driver restraint system (belts, HANS, seat,...) are designed to have some give in them. It's all about spreading the deceleration out over a slightly longer period of time so that the driver experiences lower G-forces. Had I had a seat brace behind my seat, there would have been no "give" in the seat. My seat wouldn't have deformed, but I wonder about how my back would have fared.
I don't believe the system is supposed to have any give in it based on my understanding of safety seminars given by Dr. Melvin, Dr. Trammel, and others at the Stand 21 Racing Goes Safer events. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:25 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I do not know this for a fact, but have been doing a raft of research into this new ruling and this is the ONLY incident I can find which could be used as a basis for the new ruling.
I do not know which incidents Walt used, but I have personally seen stock seat mounts fail twice. The first time was on a 914 that I owned. I crashed the car back in ~2002, and one of the rear seat mounts pulled out. I was lucky it was not a harder hit.

The second one was a crash a friend had in a 964. The seat mounts on one side partially failed, and he ended up breaking a couple of ribs. The theory was that he hit the door bar on the cage.

While I realize this may be an inconvenience, Walt is not doing this to be a pain. He's just trying to help keep us as safe as possible. I remember similar debates a few years ago when a HANS was required, or we started requiring cages (that was my suggested rule btw).
Old 02-07-2014, 05:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't believe the system is supposed to have any give in it based on my understanding of safety seminars given by Dr. Melvin, Dr. Trammel, and others at the Stand 21 Racing Goes Safer events. I could be wrong though.
Think about it. No give makes no sense. Surviving an impact is about not hitting stuff with your body, and about spreading the change in velocity out over time. That's why modern cars have crumple zones in them. The crumple zone absorbs some of the g-forces. If harnesses and seat belts didn't stretch at all, they would injure the driver. Same goes for a seat. The seats and belts need to keep you from moving far enough to come in contact with the rest of the car, but they also need to absorb some of the deceleration so that your body isn't exposed to horrific g-forces.

Just watch the Elliot Sadler impact at Pocono, and imagine what he would have experienced if his harnesses didn't stretch some.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If this truly is a big concern then the stock seat rails and mounting hardware should be addressed, not just sliders
Old 02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I do not know which incidents Walt used, but I have personally seen stock seat mounts fail twice. The first time was on a 914 that I owned. I crashed the car back in ~2002, and one of the rear seat mounts pulled out. I was lucky it was not a harder hit.

The second one was a crash a friend had in a 964. The seat mounts on one side partially failed, and he ended up breaking a couple of ribs. The theory was that he hit the door bar on the cage.

While I realize this may be an inconvenience, Walt is not doing this to be a pain. He's just trying to help keep us as safe as possible. I remember similar debates a few years ago when a HANS was required, or we started requiring cages (that was my suggested rule btw).
At what point then do we demand that seat mounts are reinforced? How and by whom and in accordance with which engineering?

This opens doors for all kinds of failure. The stock (tub) seat mounts certainly were engineered by Porsche and homogolated into their race cars of whichever era they raced. (i.e. if the factory tub mounts were good enough for the 964RSR, they should be good enough for me)

To expand issues further, we are now talking about modifying seat (side) mounts and sliders to make them fit. Who on earth will engineer that, who will design the modifications and then pass them on through to the manufacturer to insure that the original integrity of the mounts and sliders are retained?

To be specific, what's wrong with MY current setup: 964 in good shape, Recaro double locking sliders, and proper side mounts/seat. Why on earth would I want to mess with this before I spend the same money to have my wheels Zygloed, or pay a reputable shop to nut and bolt the entire car to double check my work, or even flush my dang brakes yet again.

At what point do we draw the line...I'll wager that a far greater number of theoretical safety related failures in other parts of our cars (wheels, suspensions, brakes, oil lines, etc) will occur on track this year than seat mount issues.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
At what point then do we demand that seat mounts are reinforced? How and by whom and in accordance with which engineering?

This opens doors for all kinds of failure. The stock (tub) seat mounts certainly were engineered by Porsche and homogolated into their race cars of whichever era they raced. (i.e. if the factory tub mounts were good enough for the 964RSR, they should be good enough for me)

To expand issues further, we are now talking about modifying seat (side) mounts and sliders to make them fit. Who on earth will engineer that, who will design the modifications and then pass them on through to the manufacturer to insure that the original integrity of the mounts and sliders are retained?

To be specific, what's wrong with MY current setup: 964 in good shape, Recaro double locking sliders, and proper side mounts/seat. Why on earth would I want to mess with this before I spend the same money to have my wheels Zygloed, or pay a reputable shop to nut and bolt the entire car to double check my work, or even flush my dang brakes yet again.

At what point do we draw the line...I'll wager that a far greater number of theoretical safety related failures in other parts of our cars (wheels, suspensions, brakes, oil lines, etc) will occur on track this year than seat mount issues.

I have had fix/repair numerous stock Porsche seat mounts
Broke my 964 seat mount at Watkins Glen two years ago.

I have repaired seat mounts in bunch of stock Porsches.
944's,911's,996's

I have repaired the tub on my old 79 911 too many times to count from fatigue.

Ripped out front sway bar mount
Front control arm mounting point
Rear spring plate mounts
Replaced rear sway bar mounts

Racing is hard on your Porsche and stuff fails over time.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safety? Really? I'm all in! Can we remove our passenger seats in our Stock Class cars? Now that would be a safety improvement.

I am having Boxster sliders installed now. It is a challenge in my old car. The sliders are taller and the pins require additional clearance. The seat sits higher and I don't "have a square to spare". I want welded in supports, not just through-bolt and backer plate mountings. Well, this raises them a little bit higher still.

One very nice thing about the Boxster sliders is their travel. With a halo seat and short legs, the extra travel make ingress and egress MUCH easier. That is a safety issues worth regulating.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Example of some fabricated seat mounts in 964's

http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

^^^ This what we are trying to fit in my SC. This system moves the seat way to high. Still messing with it though. Hoping to find a similar setup that allows head clearance.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 PM
jurnes
Rennlist Member

I talked to Recaro rep "Jeff". He stated that the seat slider shown here is only available as a complete seat/slider unit RECARO P1300. The retail price is around $10,000.00
Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just got back from a test fit after my shop installed the Porsche sliders in my '87 911 in anticipation of the 2015 rule. And I'm happy to report that I am very pleased with the results.

My tech (a creative and capable fabricator) was actually able to LOWER the position of my seat with the new sliders while using the stock floor mounts (lowered and reinforced) and my existing (modified) BK side mounts.

None of the installation modifications that JWE has developed (rail extensions, custom side mounts) were necessary for my car/seat (Sparco Pro ADV).

And the Porsche sliders appear to be far superior to the Recaro/Sparco/Sabelt sliders I was using. The action is very smooth and mechanical with two pins engaging per side. I'm impressed.

I'll try to post some pictures when I get the car back next week.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first pic Doug posted above is my car. At the time, one of my forward, factory mounts was cracked, so combined with my need for a little more headroom, this is the configuration Scott came up with. Works fantastic, and definitely a lot beefier than stock, but as you can see, it's a bit of a mess to fabricate/install. We were already into stripping the interior and fabricating the cage, so no biggie at the time...

Quick Reply: PCA 2015 slider ruling - ???