Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA 2015 slider ruling - ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Jerry Woods Enterprises has a jig for fabricating mounts to work with cup sliders but they declined to make something for me from a distance (that I could then weld in) due to liability concerns. I have asked Steve W. if he can cook something up. I really hesitate to do this kind of thing on my own and/or my shop who would be working essentially without any guidance.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Jerry Woods Enterprises has a jig for fabricating mounts to work with cup sliders but they declined to make something for me from a distance (that I could then weld in) due to liability concerns.
Yep me too.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

None of you can simply add a seat back brace? Seems a LOT easier (yes, I have one)!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just posted about this in the 944 forum. If I wanted to upgrade my seat in my 89 944, and wanted to go full containment + slider, sans back brace (to make easier ingress and egress) what do I look at? am I back to any fia seat with the slider that matches the seat?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It's your club right?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
None of you can simply add a seat back brace? Seems a LOT easier (yes, I have one)!
Kind of makes the sliders almost moot doesn't it?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
It's your club right?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I just sent a friendly email to Walt asking for clarification on some of the issues raised here. Will report back on what I hear.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I just sent a friendly email to Walt asking for clarification on some of the issues raised here. Will report back on what I hear.
As have I, Mike.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
As have I, Mike.
Why does this make me worry?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Not if I want to be able to actually get in or out of the car.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Not if I want to be able to actually get in or out of the car.
Exactly. The other safety issue here of course is getting out of the car quickly if there's a serious issue like sh*t burning.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I somehow suspect that there has been no comparative engineering analysis on the various types of commercially available double locking sliders from companies like Sabelt, Recaro and Sparco.

One might assume that the newer Recaro pin-style sliders are "safer" than the previous versions, but I am not sure if Recaro would say that. The part numbers used in the GT3 Cup cars are the same as those for street cars, so no difference there, but I wonder if Recaro sell this new design as an alternative or replacement for non-water-cooled Porsche applications. I doubt it.

As I have stated in a few threads, I decided to change to the newest Recaro pin-style sliders because my older Recaro units had some play and several of my local contacts spoke highly of the newer design. And I wanted to reconfigure my seat mounting set up.

I bought a set of pin-style sliders from a local dismantler (Partsheaven) for about $125 and did my own fabricating which did not require welding.

I was able to look at a few local JWE cars to get ideas I could use for mine. The four JWE mounts are pretty simple in their design and the installation jig they have and use is likely just to locate the four holes and then maybe hold the mounts for welding. A very clever production-style approach but not rocket science. For those that work on their own cars, this is not a difficult project. For those whom do not, any decent shop can come up with an approach that will work.

To me the larger questions relate to having an understanding between the rules makers and competitors about the why's and how's. For example, why are Sabelt and newer pin-style Recaro sliders okay and others unacceptable? Why do these new rules apply retrospectively as opposed to just prospectively (new build/logbooks going forward)? How can one be sure their fabrication/reinforcement approach for seat and slider mounting will pass tech inspection?

I think there are business opportunities related to these new rules... it will be interesting to see if some of the companies (e.g., Brey Krause) take actions to exploit them. That being said, it is hard to envision a product or products for bolt-in application being the predominate path as opposed to items for installation via welding.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Can you point us toward the Recaro pin-style sliders? I'm not familiar with these.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
How can one be sure their fabrication/reinforcement approach for seat and slider mounting will pass tech inspection?
Very good question.

Originally Posted by mglobe
Can you point us toward the Recaro pin-style sliders? I'm not familiar with these.
Evidently, Recaro is who makes the "Porsche" OEM sliders.

Quick Reply: PCA 2015 slider ruling - ???