Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for wheel etc for use iRacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013 | 04:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Charles - you need a 3 monitor telescoping mount for the wall so you can get those monitors about 3' closer to you and up higher (as I remember you are fairly tall?). I assume you use the paddles cause that shifter is a bit awkward, no? Turn the rig 90 degrees left and mount the adjustable monitor hangers on the sloped wall.. desk goes bye-bye either way.
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I can't believe you used "Gaming Chair" and "Good Investment" in the same sentence!!!!

Me neither.
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I know I've posted this here, somewhere, before... but this will be the NEXT generation: http://www.oculusvr.com/

I have a dev kit on order, should be here in a couple weeks, it's currently fully supported in iRacing. The dev kit version doesn't have a super clear screen... once their development is done, the "consumer" version will supposedly be HD.

If this is HALF as good as some of the guys in the iRacing forums are saying it is (even with the low resolution screen)... I will no longer be using my triple monitor setup.

Here's a vid showing the actual use of the dev kit in iRacing:
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:16 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Charles - you need a 3 monitor telescoping mount for the wall so you can get those monitors about 3' closer to you and up higher (as I remember you are fairly tall?). I assume you use the paddles cause that shifter is a bit awkward, no? Turn the rig 90 degrees left and mount the adjustable monitor hangers on the sloped wall.. desk goes bye-bye either way.
Not that tall (5'10"). Yes, I only use the paddles, the stupid shifter is way to backwards, and I set-up the clutch to be the brake pedal. I feel like I'm driving a P2 car .

Yes I got to find a way to bring the monitors closer... still it ain't bad at all. It looks worse on the picture, but I'm about 5 feet from them.

For the moment it had to be this to hide all the wires from my wife's sight...

c.
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The Oculus VR is awesome! Got mine last summer!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2013 | 04:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I have a feeling that would induce the motion sickness I used to get with old video games. Do you see the "looking through a toilet paper tube" view when looking through them?
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Awesome. Been on the fence about ordering one for a while. Finally pulled the trigger last week - seems they're shipping much faster now. Can't wait!!!

I have a feeling that would induce the motion sickness I used to get with old video games. Do you see the "looking through a toilet paper tube" view when looking through them?
From what I understand, the FOV is pretty good, you don't really notice the dark sides, and once you turn your head, you get accustomed. I guess the real key to resolving motion sickness is to make sure you have your IPD (inter-pupilary-distance?) calculated correctly.
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Takes a fair bit of time to set up (range of motion correlation between the image and actual position of your head) but except for the low rez rendering, it is better than any screen setup I've used...
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Awesome.

I guess the real key to resolving motion sickness is to make sure you have your IPD (inter-pupilary-distance?) calculated correctly.
Correct! They include a variety of adapters and offer very good instructions on how to set it up.
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I've used (or tried to actually) a TrackIR in the past and never could get it to work well. The issue was, for me, that I never hold my head still so it was always moving around and I would constantly have to hit the "re-center" button I programmed to get it looking straight ahead. Maybe a race seat with a halo would help..
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I've used (or tried to actually) a TrackIR in the past and never could get it to work well. The issue was, for me, that I never hold my head still so it was always moving around and I would constantly have to hit the "re-center" button I programmed to get it looking straight ahead. Maybe a race seat with a halo would help..
I have a TrackIR and when I first got it (7+ years ago now) I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

But I could never really fully get used to it - because while I could turn my head, I had to keep my eyes pointed straight (so I could see the monitor!) As time went on I started disabling some of the axes in it, down to the point where it only did up/down (because right/left became too disorienting). And eventually ~3-4 years ago, I quit using it altogether. It's collecting dust now.

The Oculus is completely different. Imagine using the TrackIR but having the monitors move with your head. It's also truly 3D, with separate images rendered for each eye. I hear that the immersion factor is unreal - you feel like you're really there. I know one guy in the iRacing forums commented that after spending an hour with it in a session, he took off his headphones and tried to hang them up on the rollbar... took him a second or two to realize that the rollbar wasn't actually there....
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:50 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I have a TrackIR and when I first got it (7+ years ago now) I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

But I could never really fully get used to it - because while I could turn my head, I had to keep my eyes pointed straight (so I could see the monitor!) As time went on I started disabling some of the axes in it, down to the point where it only did up/down (because right/left became too disorienting). And eventually ~3-4 years ago, I quit using it altogether. It's collecting dust now.

The Oculus is completely different. Imagine using the TrackIR but having the monitors move with your head. It's also truly 3D, with separate images rendered for each eye. I hear that the immersion factor is unreal - you feel like you're really there. I know one guy in the iRacing forums commented that after spending an hour with it in a session, he took off his headphones and tried to hang them up on the rollbar... took him a second or two to realize that the rollbar wasn't actually there....
It does replace the monitors? You only need that thing on your head? Do they fit for people that need glasses (like me)?

So basically, what you say is that I can turn my head juste like I do in my car, right? That would be the best thing...
Old 12-30-2013 | 04:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
It does replace the monitors? You only need that thing on your head? Do they fit for people that need glasses (like me)?

So basically, what you say is that I can turn my head juste like I do in my car, right? That would be the best thing...
Yes. It's a virtual reality headset.

Watch the vid I posted a couple posts ago.
Old 12-30-2013 | 05:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I should invest in one of these instead of buying a monitor as a way to save $$?
Gary would never let me live it down.
Old 12-30-2013 | 05:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I should invest in one of these instead of buying a monitor as a way to save $$?
Gary would never let me live it down.
I would wait until they release the consumer version... rumored for a fall 2014 release.

Just go triple monitor in the meantime. You can always sell the monitors once the consumer Oculus is available.

Quick Reply: Looking for wheel etc for use iRacing