Looking for wheel etc for use iRacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:34 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Looking for wheel etc for use iRacing

Having read of Ross Bentley's enthusiasm for iRacing as a racing tool, I'd like to give it a try.
Would like to find a used setup (wheel and pedals) for starters. Any suggestions? I am thinking some sort of mid-level quality; $hundreds is OK, $thousands is more than I want to spend.
Thanks for any suggestions as to what I should be looking for and leads.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Fanatec, just picked up the beginning of Dec, Porsche GT3 RS wheel, CSR Elite Pedals, and CSR Shifter Set, they had a package deal with all three. I'm really impressed when them, but then I have never tried any others.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:20 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

TRS 500 is pretty good too. Most important this though is to have a 'cockpit' with a race seat. Obutto or Fanatec cockpit is what I would recommend for less 1000.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went through this last week. My son got a Logitec G27 and a Playseat Evolution for Christmas.
I have also read very good comments about Fanatec and Obutto.
Have fun! :-)
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Rick, get the G27 and if you want to move up later you can sell it. I made an adapter for mine, have a full size wheel on there now, works very well. I added the aftermarket Bodnar pedal cable adapter also.. Cheapest "good" wheel out there, next step up is to the $1000+ range for a really good setup. Just MHO of course.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Rick, I have a lightly used G27 and pedals (with shifter) that I can ship next week. $240 includes packing and freight. I do recommend Gary Gibson's Perfect Pedal hydraulic load cell brake pedal upgrade. You could DIY later, if you decide.

I agree with Gary. The Logitech is the best value. To move up from there, the T500S Thrustmaster (twice the money) and the Fanatec CSW (plus wheel) with Club Sport Version 2 pedals (four times the money) are the upgrade path. It doesn't materially impact your beginner-intermediate level interface starting out which way you go, so getting a Logitech for now is good advice.

The purpose of iRacing as Ross' friend describes in SSW is not to drive the sim well, but to use the sim to drive at a level where it becomes automatic, taking in all of the landmarks and inculcating "muscle memory" so that you can "put the track to bed."

I use private, hosted sessions in iRacing to do a virtual, corner-by-corner "track walk" then gentle lead-follow until there is NO QUESTION in the client's mind what to do and where EXACTLY to do it. It's the fastest growing part of my business and I have been doing it since 2008.

That said, what the sims have taught me is to "sense" and "see," without sensory input, the development, speed and rate of yaw visually, so I can make little inputs to fix it in the real car, not these big, sawing movements AFTER my *** tells me the tires have given up! Lol!

It's cool, and whatever hardware you choose, you'll find it entertaining and valuable preparation for your on-track activities, IRL (in real life.)
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I like the ECCI stuff for high(er) end - http://ecci6000.com/6000_combo_01.htm
Old 12-27-2013, 11:24 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Ditto to everybody else - can't beat Logitech for bang-for-the-buck. And the aftermarket for the Logi wheels is big... you can always "upgrade" the Logi wheel setup for little money and have a very, very good setup.

I've been on Logi wheels for years and really can't complain. Bang-for-the-buck, you can't beat them... and the next step up (at double the price) is really an incremental gain.

ProCoach - interesting to hear your feedback. I've wondered what the opinions were from some of the teachers like yourself on sims. Not that I'm an authority like you but I completely agree... if you can learn how to correct errors (slides, pull out of spins, etc) with the limited "input" your brain has in a sim... then when you get there in the real car, the extra input you get from the butt-o-meter is a bonus.

One thing I'll add, that I personally take from iRacing (and sims in general, where the other "racers" are actual humans and not computer-generated AI) is racecraft. I find it helps me to keep my skills up (when to pass, when not to pass, how to pressure, how to resist pressure, etc). I try to keep the mindset that "this is real" and to avoid contact with cars or objects as if I would get hurt (or go broke) if I did. (Plus I don't want to ruin someone else's day...) I work on being aggressive while being clean, how to push without getting over my head, keep my focus, etc. In other words - I find it to be a good mental trainer.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I like the ECCI stuff for high(er) end - http://ecci6000.com/6000_combo_01.htm
Agreed ECCI has been around a long time and they make top notch stuff - though a comment.... you want the ECCI 7000 if you're going to plunk down the money. The 6000 doesn't have any force feedback, the 7000 does.

http://www.ecci7000.com/
Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Agreed ECCI has been around a long time and they make top notch stuff - though a comment.... you want the ECCI 7000 if you're going to plunk down the money. The 6000 doesn't have any force feedback, the 7000 does.

http://www.ecci7000.com/
Then you go from high(er) at $1600 to HIGH at $3500 for the 7000 kit!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Then you go from high(er) at $1600 to HIGH at $3500 for the 7000 kit!
Hey it's only $$$ right? That extra $1,900 is barely one set of tires at a real life race weekend!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I'm a modified G25 guy and perfectly happy!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Rick, I have a lightly used G27 and pedals (with shifter) that I can ship next week. $240 includes packing and freight. I do recommend Gary Gibson's Perfect Pedal hydraulic load cell brake pedal upgrade. You could DIY later, if you decide.

I agree with Gary. The Logitech is the best value. To move up from there, the T500S Thrustmaster (twice the money) and the Fanatec CSW (plus wheel) with Club Sport Version 2 pedals (four times the money) are the upgrade path. It doesn't materially impact your beginner-intermediate level interface starting out which way you go, so getting a Logitech for now is good advice.

The purpose of iRacing as Ross' friend describes in SSW is not to drive the sim well, but to use the sim to drive at a level where it becomes automatic, taking in all of the landmarks and inculcating "muscle memory" so that you can "put the track to bed."

I use private, hosted sessions in iRacing to do a virtual, corner-by-corner "track walk" then gentle lead-follow until there is NO QUESTION in the client's mind what to do and where EXACTLY to do it. It's the fastest growing part of my business and I have been doing it since 2008.

That said, what the sims have taught me is to "sense" and "see," without sensory input, the development, speed and rate of yaw visually, so I can make little inputs to fix it in the real car, not these big, sawing movements AFTER my *** tells me the tires have given up! Lol!

It's cool, and whatever hardware you choose, you'll find it entertaining and valuable preparation for your on-track activities, IRL (in real life.)
Hi Peter
Exactly
Probably a yes to your offer but let me research a bit and get back to you.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Should I use a stand and if so which one? I will probably use the seat that that came out of the Cayman for the utmost in geek effect.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Peter
Exactly
Probably a yes to your offer but let me research a bit and get back to you.
Thanks
Peter,

If Rick decides not to buy your set, I'll take it.
(and no, I'm not working for Peter to help sell!)

Quick Reply: Looking for wheel etc for use iRacing