Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for wheel etc for use iRacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Rick - check your PM, I am passing the wheel onto you. Contact Anton for instructions.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Rick - check your PM, I am passing the wheel onto you. Contact Anton for instructions.
Will do - thanks for the point by!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am building the Obutto now. this thing is sturdy as hell. The seat i can sit in for days. It actually feels like my Recaro SPD
Old 12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just ordered the Obutto ozone. On sale but $80 shipping (I guess a sign of its weight, a good thing).
Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks to 'surathdp' (and Gary) my G27 wheel and pedals are on the way, as is an Obutto oZone 'simulator' (seat plus stand).
I next need to figure out what to use for a monitor; I have a long and embarrassing history of thinking I would like to drive sims but then not really liking it. I suspect the iRacing and better (modern) equipment might make it more appealing.
But before I go nuts with a new computer for gaming and fancy monitors, I need to give it a try.
So I am thinking of using my very capable laptop (which has strong graphics for video) and an inexpensive 32" or so HD TV.
Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Thanks to 'surathdp' (and Gary) my G27 wheel and pedals are on the way, as is an Obutto oZone 'simulator' (seat plus stand).
I next need to figure out what to use for a monitor; I have a long and embarrassing history of thinking I would like to drive sims but then not really liking it. I suspect the iRacing and better (modern) equipment might make it more appealing.
But before I go nuts with a new computer for gaming and fancy monitors, I need to give it a try.
So I am thinking of using my very capable laptop (which has strong graphics for video) and an inexpensive 32" or so HD TV.
Thoughts?
Well it's certainly worth a shot to try... but it's definitely not an optimal configuration. Even "healthy" laptops can struggle a bit.

I'd also strongly caution against using a TV for your monitor. If you just have one kicking around, and want to give it a try, then fine - but I wouldn't spend any money on it. See my comment in this post about "input lag": https://rennlist.com/forums/11012315-post1835.html

TV's generally have it bad... and it will make it difficult to really drive the car hard, as all of your images on screen will be "late".

Monitors can be found nowadays that have negligible lag for reasonable money. I have basic 24" monitors by BenQ (BenQ is generally known for low lag monitors), I paid ~$169 for them last year on a Black Friday deal. Not a bad price. I'm not trying to tell you to spend money on this stuff (as really it's just a giant toy! ) but it will definitely make the difference in your experience with it.

Also - remember (as we're discussing in the other thread), regardless of your equipment: have patience, give it time. It's not Gran Turismo or Forza, don't expect to jump right in and set record laps right off the bat. You will probably spin and crash a LOT at first.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Thoughts?
but you bought an obutto thats serious in its self.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Well it's certainly worth a shot to try... but it's definitely not an optimal configuration. Even "healthy" laptops can struggle a bit.

I'd also strongly caution against using a TV for your monitor. If you just have one kicking around, and want to give it a try, then fine - but I wouldn't spend any money on it. See my comment in this post about "input lag": https://rennlist.com/forums/11012315-post1835.html

TV's generally have it bad... and it will make it difficult to really drive the car hard, as all of your images on screen will be "late".

Monitors can be found nowadays that have negligible lag for reasonable money. I have basic 24" monitors by BenQ (BenQ is generally known for low lag monitors), I paid ~$169 for them last year on a Black Friday deal. Not a bad price. I'm not trying to tell you to spend money on this stuff (as really it's just a giant toy! ) but it will definitely make the difference in your experience with it.

Also - remember (as we're discussing in the other thread), regardless of your equipment: have patience, give it time. It's not Gran Turismo or Forza, don't expect to jump right in and set record laps right off the bat. You will probably spin and crash a LOT at first.
Thank you; this is the kind of input I was hoping for.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by reno808
but you bought an obutto thats serious in its self.
Even when I am seriously trying to save money it seems that I like to buy good stuff.
Such as - my new track car.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Even when I am seriously trying to save money it seems that I like to buy good stuff.
Rick I told you, office chair and a rug so the pedals don't slide and you don't roll.. plenty good, especially to start! You will also need a powered multiple USB hub if you don't have one unless your laptop has multiple ports. I can't remember but I think the G25/27 uses two plus 110V power, so (even if it has two) if you have anything else requiring USB it's an issue.. Just a thought. Pick up a 24-27" 5ms or better monitor (is your laptop HDMI output?), keeping in mind if you go crazy (like many people on here apparently have) you will be purchasing two more. Be sure whatever you choose also has the slimmest bezel possible in case you will be putting them side by side..
Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Thumbs down

Hahaha! ALWAYS a good plan!

Seriously, a 1920 x 1080, 24", 27" 2ms Grey-to-grey response monitor will work fine. I use Asus 278Q's but may go to a 21x9 aspect ratio wide LG for use with a single.

The critical aspect is the GPU (graphics processor unit) that will "draw" the detail you see on the screen.

IRacing is capable of automatically scaling (adjusting up or down) the resolution and detail of the sim based on the power of the GPU. Most notebook GPU's are "mobility" or lower powered versions to save battery. If given a choice between processor speed and GPU power, I always pick GPU power, as that is the limiting factor in drawing detail.

Just a final note on notebooks. The "integrated graphics" except for intel 4000, 5000 or Iris, won't cut it. A dedicated GPU in a laptop with at least 512 MB of VRAM is most important.

For the type of work I do, where I am asking clients in our private sessions to aim at the antenna in the distance entering the Keyhole, the pole with loudspeakers on it entering Turn 5 at Road Atlanta or entering Bishops at Sebring, this ability to "scale up" the detail is really important! I've worked with guys that have rigs that don't draw the same detail I am seeing. That's bad... For them... <grin>

You don't need an R9 or Titan, you just need something that was top of the line two or three years ago.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Rick I told you, office chair and a rug so the pedals don't slide and you don't roll.. plenty good, especially to start! You will also need a powered multiple USB hub if you don't have one unless your laptop has multiple ports. I can't remember but I think the G25/27 uses two plus 110V power, so (even if it has two) if you have anything else requiring USB it's an issue.. Just a thought. Pick up a 24-27" 5ms or better monitor (is your laptop HDMI output?), keeping in mind if you go crazy (like many people on here apparently have) you will be purchasing two more. Be sure whatever you choose also has the slimmest bezel possible in case you will be putting them side by side..
Thanks, Dad - I just couldn't picture the 5' rug
I figured the gaming chair was a good investment in proper seating; I spend all day at my desk and need a change of scenery for this. I don't have a spare desk for a gaming setup, so the chair and mounts made some sense (if anything here makes sense).
Thanks also for the other tips; laptop is a Dell Studio with several USB ports as well as HDMI.
Trying to avoid triple monitors - my wife already thinks (knows) I am nuts.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Here's what mine looks like for now.

I need to find stands for my TV's to bring them closer. They are 32 inches Toshiba and the result is great.

I'm ready for an online session with Peter

c.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I picked up 3 LG 24in monitors from Office Depot when they are on sale pretty good price a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I can't believe you used "Gaming Chair" and "Good Investment" in the same sentence!!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for wheel etc for use iRacing