NASA penalizes all rear engines.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
Man that is a hit! Do you run DOTs?
Yes. Was considering slicks though. Slicks is 100 lbs penalty too from everyone else.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

What they should do, is punsh what is the unfair factor. A factor that has been ignored for YEARS now.
its not all about HP/weight ration, its about absolute weight!! They forget that most of the performance of a race car is under braking and cornering, and not just pure acceleration.

a good example of this was in POC . great rules for all 911s going against each other, but toss in other larger cars and its really unfair........ roll to mix manufacture racing and the example shows again. 911s vs Vets , depending on the track, the 500lbs less weight can really pay dividends at a Sears point , even if the cars have the same HP to weight.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Caymans should carry 300lbs. just because.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Sucks to read this. After a couple years of thinking about trying time trials I was finally going to give it a go in TT3 this year with my 996 Gt3. Actually another local gt3 guy and myself were both thinking about entering.

As a competitive person the biggest blocker for me has always been competing in something I have no shot at winning. After the switch from TTS to TT3 last year I was at least convinced I could stand a fighting chance. Still can't touch the top vette's but I felt I could at least mix it up with some of them for maybe the low step on the podium

Now...I doubt I'll even bother. The change isn't huge but I feel like I've gone from almost no chance to absolutely no chance.

I'll just stick to trying to win DE's
Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't let this stop you. You still would be amazed at how much a difference the driver makes...
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Audi. Don't give up. I too just about to jump into TT3. We need more 6-3's out there

Mk
Old 12-18-2013, 10:11 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Sucks to read this. After a couple years of thinking about trying time trials I was finally going to give it a go in TT3 this year with my 996 Gt3. Actually another local gt3 guy and myself were both thinking about entering.

As a competitive person the biggest blocker for me has always been competing in something I have no shot at winning. After the switch from TTS to TT3 last year I was at least convinced I could stand a fighting chance. Still can't touch the top vette's but I felt I could at least mix it up with some of them for maybe the low step on the podium

Now...I doubt I'll even bother. The change isn't huge but I feel like I've gone from almost no chance to absolutely no chance.

I'll just stick to trying to win DE's
I don't know what times you are currently running but it looks like it's going to take 1:32-1:33 at Mid Ohio to podium on many weekends. Will probably take 1:30-1:31 to win. ST3/TT3 will be in the 1:29's if not 1:28's at Road Atlanta soon (Fastest GTC qualy lap ever is a 1:24.0 by Leh Keen I think). The changes are not big, but some people don't realize how fast NASA is allowing some of these cars to get and that people really are setting up cars to the absolute limit of the rules and then driving the wheels off of the cars. So with these penalties it's going to make it next to impossible in really competitive classes.

I would still do it for fun if I were you, but you are in a class where Corvette's are easy to set up and win, and there are a lot of them (fast ones in your area).

Last edited by wanna911; 12-18-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

We have the NASA National TT3 Champ in our region. Nobody is going to beat him. A 6 GT3 may stand a chance if it's completely prepped, ie, gutted, makes the max allowable power, runs new Hoosier A6's and has a good driver at the wheel.

Otherwise you're just going to have to go out there and (shockingly!) have fun. Like me.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep I've been through all the national results And the regional TT and ST championships. Porsches are getting killed 4-1 at best. This old argument is worn out and has no validity. Attempting to put it into a chart, looked pretty interesting g so far...
Old 12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I don't know what times you are currently running but it looks like it's going to take 1:32-1:33 at Mid Ohio to podium on many weekends. Will probably take 1:30-1:31 to win. ST3/TT3 will be in the 1:29's if not 1:28's at Road Atlanta soon (Fastest GTC qualy lap ever is a 1:24.0 by Leh Keen I think). The changes are not big, but some people don't realize how fast NASA is allowing some of these cars to get and that people really are setting up cars to the absolute limit of the rules and then driving the wheels off of the cars. So with these penalties it's going to make it next to impossible in really competitive classes.

I would still do it for fun if I were you, but you are in a class where Corvette's are easy to set up and win, and there are a lot of them (fast ones in your area).
assuming we're talking pro course which is what NASA runs most of the time I've gone just about 1:35 flat on Nitto's. IF I mounted A6's I think I could get into the 33's assuming I come up to speed and get the most out of them. But I'm guessing a low :33 is as good as it's going to get for my car. 352 RWHP, and 3180lbs with me in it. Current track record (pro) is :31 flat and we were just starting to see purpose built vette's show up end of the season for TT3...I'm guessing track record will be about a second quicker this year. I guess that's my gripe... I've got a car that isn't built to the max for TT but at this point it's ~2.5 seconds off of the ultimate pace and they've just basically added 60lbs of weight to the car...and taken .1 mod factor away from the vette's running full aero. Guessing I'm closer to 3.5 seconds off the ultimate pace if I were to try.

May still do it...I was just pissy when I read that last night.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
assuming we're talking pro course which is what NASA runs most of the time I've gone just about 1:35 flat on Nitto's. IF I mounted A6's I think I could get into the 33's assuming I come up to speed and get the most out of them. But I'm guessing a low :33 is as good as it's going to get for my car. 352 RWHP, and 3180lbs with me in it. Current track record (pro) is :31 flat and we were just starting to see purpose built vette's show up end of the season for TT3...I'm guessing track record will be about a second quicker this year. I guess that's my gripe... I've got a car that isn't built to the max for TT but at this point it's ~2.5 seconds off of the ultimate pace and they've just basically added 60lbs of weight to the car...and taken .1 mod factor away from the vette's running full aero. Guessing I'm closer to 3.5 seconds off the ultimate pace if I were to try.

May still do it...I was just pissy when I read that last night.
You and me both man.

Yes, I meant the pro course (no chicane)

A6's are going to blow your mind if you have never driven a sticker set! I would guess 1:32's once you learn how to use all of the grip. They are that much better than NT01's. You will most certainly be in the mix with that. Though I agree with you that the others will get quicker, you will be able to put up a fight and the competition aspect will get some extra tenths as long as you don't allow yourself to get sloppy trying to hard. That does happen to new people in TT if you have never done it before.

I'm a front runner in TT1 and I'm still mad. There are some Corvette's in hiding that I do not want to face with a hundred lb anchor attached to the already big anchor hanging out behind the rear wheels. I'm debating leaving NASA altogether. If there is some good competition lining up with NARRA, I may just follow them around next year instead.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

GTS rules have changed as well, additional .2 lbs/HP added for sequential gearboxes as supplied in cups, but not PDK/SMG twin clutch gearboxes
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanna911
You and me both man.

Yes, I meant the pro course (no chicane)

A6's are going to blow your mind if you have never driven a sticker set! I would guess 1:32's once you learn how to use all of the grip. They are that much better than NT01's. You will most certainly be in the mix with that. Though I agree with you that the others will get quicker, you will be able to put up a fight and the competition aspect will get some extra tenths as long as you don't allow yourself to get sloppy trying to hard. That does happen to new people in TT if you have never done it before.

I'm a front runner in TT1 and I'm still mad. There are some Corvette's in hiding that I do not want to face with a hundred lb anchor attached to the already big anchor hanging out behind the rear wheels. I'm debating leaving NASA altogether. If there is some good competition lining up with NARRA, I may just follow them around next year instead.
How fast are new A6s on their first few laps compared to a Pirelli scrub? You have to stay in NASA, Kyle and I are coming to run with you

Originally Posted by Leigh2
GTS rules have changed as well, additional .2 lbs/HP added for sequential gearboxes as supplied in cups, but not PDK/SMG twin clutch gearboxes
You need to slow down anyway
Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I think my incessant whining paid off. NASA is now only penalizing really light modern 911's.

The new rule only applies an additional .1 mod factor to 99 and up 911's 2700-2900 lbs race weight and a .2 if you are lower than 2700 lbs.

Us heavyweights and the classics are on the normal rules. Audi, you should go and win some events.

Park, you talking about Kyle Schick? You guys coming to Road Atlanta?

I would say it depends on how many HC on the Pirelli slicks. Sticker A6 are nasty. After about 3 HC on slicks my money is on the A6.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801

You need to slow down anyway
I'm just chasing George like the rest of us

Quick Reply: NASA penalizes all rear engines.......