Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA penalizes all rear engines.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

JRichard, I thought the Conti slicks that were provided to the Porsche cars were not allowed to eliminate the .7 penalty.

Has anyone run those? I can save the Pirellis for PDC
Old 12-19-2013, 01:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Dave:

GACTSCC Tires:
Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge tires are exempt from the -0.7 Modification Factor for Non-DOT approved tires when calculating the “Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio” (Does not include “Rolex series” tires). They will use the tire size Modification Factors for DOT approved tires.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Dave:

GACTSCC Tires:
Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge tires are exempt from the -0.7 Modification Factor for Non-DOT approved tires when calculating the “Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio” (Does not include “Rolex series” tires). They will use the tire size Modification Factors for DOT approved tires.
They're just harder Hoosiers rebadged as Continentals. I think he'd be better off with Hoosier R series....
Old 12-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Just found the sizes
245/40 - 18 fronts
275/35 - 18 rears

Man that won't work

JR, you ever run R6's on your car?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Just found the sizes
245/40 - 18 fronts
275/35 - 18 rears

Man that won't work

JR, you ever run R6's on your car?
When it was first built as a 996 Spec @ 2850 lbs. They were about 1-2 seconds slower than slicks when fresh, but dropped off sooner....
Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

So guys, check my math:
2935 car, throttle restrictor to 350 = 8.39 minus .2 (porsche penalty) minus .1 (weight) = 8.09 if I run Hoosiers and keep every body/aero stock

or

3000 lb car, throttle restrictor to 337 = 8.9 minus .2 (porsche penalty) minus .7 (slicks) = 8.0

which way would you go????

I should add a lot of tight short tracks, Chuckwalla would probably be the longest track, 30 min sprint races

Chris Striet if your reading this, I would love to get your opinion as well.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JR, as light as your car is you should try A6. The new A7 will come out soon too. Don't believe the hype that they are autocross tires. Guys have been dominating on the road course with them for almost a decade. The Vettes that have faster times are almost certainly on them. Give them a try. You have contingency you can win too. As long as you don't overdrive them, they are good to the cords for fast times. Immediately up to temp for quick starts at the race. And you save point.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I race my 2750 pound ST2 car on A6's and they hold up well if your car is well set up and you don't over-drive them. They are also a must to qualify well in the Great Lakes Region. I like the Goodrich R1S as well, it is more consistent over race distance. I will be doing a back to back test at the beginning of the season.

I ran 2012 on the BFG R1 at Mid O Pro course in the low :31's. To be competitive in ST2 or TT2 should be low :30's with the 8:1 ratio.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911
JR, as light as your car is you should try A6. The new A7 will come out soon too. Don't believe the hype that they are autocross tires. Guys have been dominating on the road course with them for almost a decade. The Vettes that have faster times are almost certainly on them. Give them a try. You have contingency you can win too. As long as you don't overdrive them, they are good to the cords for fast times. Immediately up to temp for quick starts at the race. And you save point.
I'd considered running them for NASA races only if I needed to but with my whp (approx. 295) and impound weight (2625) I'm right at 8.9 so why not run slicks? I can't lose any more weight but if I magically found another 15 whp I'd give them a shot. I did run their slicks once using 265's and 305's. I believe their corresponding A/R series is 255's and 315's.

FWIW, I'm very, very happy with the new compounds Yokohama recently released. They're much improved in both their Patron Cup tires and their Clubsport line. I turned a 1:25:7 in the last lap of Sunday's race at WSIR 2 weeks ago. That was their 4th HC on the 15th lap and I was smiling thru T8 at all the grip I had. I'd never broken 26 there in a race before though I've turned high 24's in qual on stickers....
Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I'd considered running them for NASA races only if I needed to but with my whp (approx. 295) and impound weight (2625) I'm right at 8.9 so why not run slicks? I can't lose any more weight but if I magically found another 15 whp I'd give them a shot. I did run their slicks once using 265's and 305's. I believe their corresponding A/R series is 255's and 315's.

FWIW, I'm very, very happy with the new compounds Yokohama recently released. They're much improved in both their Patron Cup tires and their Clubsport line. I turned a 1:25:7 in the last lap of Sunday's race at WSIR 2 weeks ago. That was their 4th HC on the 15th lap and I was smiling thru T8 at all the grip I had. I'd never broken 26 there in a race before though I've turned high 24's in qual on stickers....
Wow really? I used to love me some Yokos. How quick are they up to temp relative to Hoosier or Pirelli slicks? Is there a new compound name? You think they are faster than the Pirelli DH? I think I'm moving to slicks this year but the stiffer sidewalls always give me trouble and for TT, slicks aren't up to temp fast enough if I only have 1-2 hot laps.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Jrichard, I didn't even email Greg because i knew I couldn't control my temper.
I am still trying to figure out if I can get the 996 cup into ST2, that will make a couple of guys happy.

I think I saw that the Pfat vette at Nationals, in ST2 beat the time of the GTS5 2010 3.8 997 cup with paddle shift, which would not get into ST1 now.
Dave by my calculation I would just squeeze into ST1, but now punted out of GTS5 unless I run a lot more weight or DOT's. What am I missing?

I had a pile of weight bolted in for the Nationals and didn't like the way the car felt, it was a relief to take it all out for the following PCA race weekend
Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Wow really? I used to love me some Yokos. How quick are they up to temp relative to Hoosier or Pirelli slicks? Is there a new compound name? You think they are faster than the Pirelli DH? I think I'm moving to slicks this year but the stiffer sidewalls always give me trouble and for TT, slicks aren't up to temp fast enough if I only have 1-2 hot laps.
Their Cup Car(formally Patron) tires are harder and take 3-4 laps to reach temp. The trade-off is they last a long time. Their GT line are good to go hot after 1 warm up lap. I ran a "Cup" front with a "GT" rear at WS and just ordered another set. If your car is over 3k lbs. I'd stay with the Cup tires....

http://www.tracksideperformance.com/...13-product.pdf
Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Are you on stock abs? No abs issues with a 680?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my incessant whining paid off. NASA is now only penalizing really light modern 911's.

The new rule only applies an additional .1 mod factor to 99 and up 911's 2700-2900 lbs race weight and a .2 if you are lower than 2700 lbs.

Us heavyweights and the classics are on the normal rules. Audi, you should go and win some events.

Park, you talking about Kyle Schick? You guys coming to Road Atlanta?

I would say it depends on how many HC on the Pirelli slicks. Sticker A6 are nasty. After about 3 HC on slicks my money is on the A6.
Yes, I think he is going for the stacker. I'm going mostly w2w in ST1 next year but would like to give those a run. Ian said the grip was crazy!

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I'm just chasing George like the rest of us
Hey I'm just going to be chasing both of you

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Their worksheet calculates for the class multiplier then tells you what class you're in. That's silly. I prefer to calculate my minimum weight for my chosen class (ST2) so I add the penalties to the class minimum and then multiply that against my dyno results. Much easier and allows me to adjust weight or WHP if needed.

Yea I was just reading Greg's explanation over at NASA and realized I was double penalizing myself for the rear engine thingy. As I said I don't care it's trivial and won't really affect me. It just pisses me off the Corvettes win 3 of the 5 ST titles and they penalize Porsches. Thanks for the motivation Greg....
I hate to be that guy, not many strong cars showed up for TT1 and ST1. They moved George Smith into STR1 so if I could have run it might have been 4 out of 5
Old 12-19-2013, 12:18 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Are you on stock abs? No abs issues with a 680?
Yes I run OEM brakes & rotors w/RS29 pads. ABS is original. I've run the 680's without any problems maybe because I'm a 99' car. I now run the 650 series rears exclusively....

Quick Reply: NASA penalizes all rear engines.......