Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run groups for Sebring PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013 | 12:16 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

I, for one, will only be a spectator this year...partly because of the run group / track time situation, and partly because I sold my F*&king race car

on the hunt for an SPB as we speak, but likely won't jump back in until LR or WGI.
Old 12-13-2013 | 12:22 PM
danielyonker
Pro

You are giving me grief for my cheesy picture, but you are buying a SPB? Is it Canary yellow or baby blue?
Old 12-13-2013 | 01:19 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi everyone,
I've been asked to comment on this thread, so here's a few facts...

1. National does not control whether a region hosts a DE during a club race or not. During the economic slump, National did encourage regions to include a DE portion to help offset the costs of doing a club race. This enables many regions to continue to host a club race. In the end, the region is financially responsible for the event, not National.

2. Club Racing has an Advisory Committee, BUT, I doubt that they are consulted on whether the Sebring Club Race should have one or two DE groups. When I was on that committee years ago, we were used as a sounding board on rules and policies. Also, bear in mind that everyone with the exception of Susan Shire, is a volunteer on the Club Racing Staff. Furthermore, the majority are racers, just like you (I plan on returning once I'm done with the presidential gig). Decisions are not made in a vacuum.

3. Without regions (read that as volunteers) hosting club races, we would not have a club racing schedule. With that said, National is in constant contact with the regions before and during the event. The Club Racing folks just don't simply show up a day before the event. Details are ironed out months before the event.

4. You don't see what Club Racing is doing behind the scenes. There's a reason for that. We're not only volunteers, but we view ourselves as professionals as well. I will not call anyone out on Rennlist or any public forum. Any complaint or concern is addressed with individuals directly.

5. Last year, Sebring was not the carnage fest some people are stating as fact. We had 15 incidents at Sebring with 271 drivers. It was actually low to moderate by Sebring standards. There were a couple of very visible incidents that give an adverse impression. The enduro groups were packed. However, they were within the track density recommendations. Everyone was trying to work with the racers who were on the very long wait list for the enduro. Club Racing is not a for profit entity. Safety is our #1 concern, not a profit.

6. I would suggest sending a constructive email to the event chairs stating your thoughts. I can assure you they will be read.

7. Lastly, I appreciate everyone's support of PCA Club Racing. I think it's the best racing out there. I'm quite proud of telling the other Porsche clubs around the world that we have our own racing program that includes Stewards, Scrutinners, Timing and Scoring and a schedule of over 25 races a year. Yes, NASA, SCCA, HSR probably have more races, but we are the only ones that are exclusive to the Porsche marque. I also appreciate the passion you bring to the table to improve the racing experience in PCA. It has not gone unnoticed.
Old 12-13-2013 | 01:30 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Manny,
Thank you for taking time to post on this thread.
Appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2013 | 02:48 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Thanks manny
Old 12-13-2013 | 03:33 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Manny.

I was thinking about solutions and came up with an easy one.

I have been to races where grid position was set by fastest lap in the event, not just the previous session. Some PCA races have done this along with SCCA, Vintage, etc.

That small change could reduce carnage significantly, as people won't pull risky moves early in every session before tires are warm, which is especially risky in a stiff car on race tires (GTC and GTA). Also it would reduce the number of fast cars that get stuck in back due to missing grid or a mechanical in the previous session, that need to pass many much slower cars while getting up to speed.

Who controls the way cars are gridded, and who do I need to write a letter to, to ask for this change in gridding procedure?

Last edited by analogmike; 12-13-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2013 | 04:12 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, I would send that to Bryan Henderson.
Old 12-13-2013 | 04:25 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by analogmike
Thanks, Manny.

I was thinking about solutions and came up with an easy one.

I have been to races where grid position was set by fastest lap in the event, not just the previous session. Some PCA races have done this along with SCCA, Vintage, etc.

That small change could reduce carnage significantly, as people won't pull risky moves early in every session before tires are warm, which is especially risky in a stiff car on race tires (GTC and GTA). Also it would reduce the number of fast cars that get stuck in back due to missing grid or a mechanical in the previous session, that need to pass many much slower cars while getting up to speed.

Who controls the way cars are gridded, and who do I need to write a letter to, to ask for this change in gridding procedure?
I think this is an excellent solution and one that will have a positive effect for everyone. Good work Mike!
Old 12-13-2013 | 06:55 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike

That small change could reduce carnage significantly...
Good idea.

As it is now, every session is a qualifying session for the next session. This isn't a big deal at most races, but at the Bigs, with 75 cars on the track, there is a lot of pressure to get up front and put down a quick lap early in each session. This would definitely "decompress" things.

Except for making Timing and Scoring's job more complicated, I don't see a downside. Any T&S experts on here?
Old 12-13-2013 | 07:18 PM
Glen
Race Car

Another observation is that many times "pro coaches" will drive during the session that sets grid spots.

Many times this put their driver in a position that they would not have "earned" on their own.

The result is that driver is surrounded by competitors they are unfamiliar with in addition to a car that "acts" differently than it had before takes a "different" line, or has different "awareness"....

Would love to see that addresses in our potential safety revisions.
Old 12-13-2013 | 07:27 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Glen
Another observation is that many times "pro coaches" will drive during the session that sets grid spots.

Nah!

I wonder what kind of weenie man (boy) would want to play a role in something like this.
Old 12-13-2013 | 09:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Seriously???

I thought if a car was shared, the 2nd driver was supposed to drive in one class up? And that grid spots were based on the DRIVER not the CAR???
Old 12-13-2013 | 09:44 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Many times this put their driver in a position that they would not have "earned" on their own.

The result is that driver is surrounded by competitors they are unfamiliar with in addition to a car that "acts" differently than it had before takes a "different" line, or has different "awareness"....

Would love to see that addresses in our potential safety revisions.

The only time that should ever happen is for enduro qualifying.

If not, it is blatant cheating

PCA rule book:

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

2. Two driver cars are allowed in PCA Club Racing events. The second driver in a two-driver car shall always be in
a higher group and placed in a class. The only time that a car should be designated as “Exhibition” (EX) is when
the only option is to move the second driver to a lower run group. The car number should be the same in both
groups. The car must display both class markings.
Old 12-13-2013 | 09:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics

PCA rule book:

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

2. Two driver cars are allowed in PCA Club Racing events. The second driver in a two-driver car shall always be in
a higher group and placed in a class. The only time that a car should be designated as “Exhibition” (EX) is when
the only option is to move the second driver to a lower run group. The car number should be the same in both
+1...or enduro warm up, where PCA will allow co-drivers to get a few laps.

Wow.
Old 12-13-2013 | 10:23 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by flatsics

PCA rule book:

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

Yes those are the "rules" just saying what "happens" sometimes...

Those that end up ahead of where they should be are "in over their head" many times. As a result things can get messy quickly.

Even in a pro race the rules are. Whoever qualifies, has to start. For the same safety reasons.

Quick Reply: Run groups for Sebring PCA Club Race