Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run groups for Sebring PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:52 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Why two DE groups when they can easily fill 4 racer run groups? Club racers get only 1 opportunity, 1 event to race at Sebring; DE folks gets tons of events to choose from to run at Sebring.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:53 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has to be an average of each racer paying at least 1k per racer. Click everything with golf cart, co driver, coach etc and could be 2k. With 230 racers alone this club race doesn't seem like it needs 2 DE groups
Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

OK guys. I sent a link to this thread to an organizer. Here are his thoughts, posted with his permission:

Here's the situation: I am a Committee Member of 7 years and raced in GT3S class last year. I'm registered to race in the same class again this year. I hated being placed in the fastest run group last year and my wife doesn't want me to race if they put us in that group again this year. Unfortunately, we have no say on the run groups. It's all up to National. We also have little say on whether we have one DE group or two.

Keep in mind, the Advance Solo (DE) group is a feeder system to Club Racing. I ran in this group for two years (2005-06 ?) before advancing to the race groups. Many (not all) of our fellow racers came up that step as well. I personally know of a few that are running the DE this year with plans to race next year. I love it!

Believe me, it's not about the money or greed. As you can imagine, this is a brutally expensive event to produce. We just want to put on the best event we can. This is truly a year-round part-time job for each committee member. Our only pay is when a fellow club member gives a sincere "thanks" for our work. In addition to our Committee, this event requires an additional 200 volunteers! Yes, that means over 200 people are volunteering so that we can race. I can't thank them enough!

See you at the track,
Delusions of Grandeur Motorsports
Old 12-10-2013, 06:35 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
Why two DE groups when they can easily fill 4 racer run groups? Club racers get only 1 opportunity, 1 event to race at Sebring; DE folks gets tons of events to choose from to run at Sebring.
^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS ^^^^^^^^

Plus, if there is a racer waiting list, why are we so worried about grooming more people to put on a waiting list?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

It doesn't make sense to me to spend that many days away from work and 5 figures in costs with only three race groups and the problems that brings.

The cup car group gets very little track time due to incidents. Everyone knows you need to get a fast lap very early in each session (many sessions are only a few laps due to carnage) or you will get stuck in back and never get the chance to get up front again and get a clear lap. It's been painful the last few times I went. I love the track, race, and people but I would have a lot more fun for the same money on a Greek island mega-yacht cruise. Or I hear the POC race is a lot better with plenty of track time and less incidents.

IMHO
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From the COTA thread which I think sums the issue up well:

Originally Posted by paradisenb
...........For financial considerations the DE option should have a trigger. If the RACE doesn't sell out X weeks prior to the event start date the DE opens and further registration is first come first serve be it DEers or Racers.
The idea that a PCA National Club Race should have DE is BS. Want to have a NASA style event? Go drive with NASA. Want to drive at a PCA National Club Race? - Get a racing license. DEs were only recently added to pay for the event when attendance dropped or at small less popular tracks. Now newbies think this is SOP. Not! I never did a DE at a PCA National Club Race during the years I was learning to drive. The thought of racers being wait-listed or turned away because DEers are taking those spots on the track is unconscionable at a RACE event. Especially when you recognize there is only 1 race per year per track and there are dozens of DEs.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Want to drive at a PCA National Club Race? - Get a racing license.
Ha. I like that, Randy.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 PM
jenk12m
Banned

That's what I did just recently
Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
From the COTA thread which I think sums the issue up well:
Plus whatever.

Maybe next year we boycott the race as racers and they can make it a DE event. In fact if all racers all pulled out right now that would send a message.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

The Watkins Glen PCA race (which BTW is awesome) has 4 sprint race groups and, I think, zero DE. I'm curious why the Sebring race is organized so differently.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
The Watkins Glen PCA race (which BTW is awesome) has 4 sprint race groups and, I think, zero DE. I'm curious why the Sebring race is organized so differently.
Pete Tremper...enough said
I think the other guy in the pic has a minor position with PCA
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 PM
jenk12m
Banned

good ole manny...lol
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

That picture was from the Sebring Drivers Meeting
Great comments I only hope the organizers realize the racers need to be heard.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
OK guys. I sent a link to this thread to an organizer. Here are his thoughts, posted with his permission:

Here's the situation: I am a Committee Member of 7 years and raced in GT3S class last year. I'm registered to race in the same class again this year. I hated being placed in the fastest run group last year and my wife doesn't want me to race if they put us in that group again this year. Unfortunately, we have no say on the run groups. It's all up to National. We also have little say on whether we have one DE group or two.

Keep in mind, the Advance Solo (DE) group is a feeder system to Club Racing. I ran in this group for two years (2005-06 ?) before advancing to the race groups. Many (not all) of our fellow racers came up that step as well. I personally know of a few that are running the DE this year with plans to race next year. I love it!

Believe me, it's not about the money or greed. As you can imagine, this is a brutally expensive event to produce. We just want to put on the best event we can. This is truly a year-round part-time job for each committee member. Our only pay is when a fellow club member gives a sincere "thanks" for our work. In addition to our Committee, this event requires an additional 200 volunteers! Yes, that means over 200 people are volunteering so that we can race. I can't thank them enough!

See you at the track,
Delusions of Grandeur Motorsports
Nationals doesn't decide whether or not there will be a DE. Nor do they determine how many DE attendee's can register. There are countless DE's at Sebring every year that future racers can utilize to develop their skills. Cut the DE's or limit it to the top 60 future racers and put them in one group.

I consider Sebring my home track but stopped attending the PCA race two years ago because of the countless yellows and blacks that limit the actual racing. Thankfully there are plenty of other well run races at Sebring. Just raced one last weekend with HSR.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Y'all come race WinterFest with PBOC in mid-January!!!

Quick Reply: Run groups for Sebring PCA Club Race