Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SmartyCam HD review

Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My car has AIM system with an externally mounted GPS module on the trunk -
My question is -will this existing gps module work with the new SC HD ??
Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Yes, the SCHD will get the GPS info from the GPS plugged into your MXL.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

thanks - trying to decide on the regular SC or the HD
Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

The regular SC (all-in-one) has been discontinued. The regular definition SC GP (separate bullet camera and recorder) are still in some dealer's stocks, but the HD is the new-new thing. An HD version of the GP may be out in a few months.

To add any SC to your MXL with the GPS antenna, you will need a CAN Hub (5-pin male plug on the end of a cable and four 5-pin female receptacles on a black plastic strip) to plug more than one accessory (in this case, the GPS and the SC) into the MXL's expansion port.

Make sure you update the firmware in the MXL and the antenna before you plug in an SC HD (and it would be a good idea in general).

Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter - is this an AIM specific Hub or is it available at electronics store ?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

AiM specific. $60 Allows you to add more AiM accessories, too.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

So has anyone used the HD as a stand alone? The docs on the website are unclear. It seems like the HD should have a gps thing in there so it can figure out your laptimes and do the track map , speed etc. on the embedded data on the playback. When you read the website is makes it sound like to do this you need the soloDL to be plugged in at a minimum? Comments?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

When will they have side by side lap comparisons sync'd to data like Vbox? HD is a waste of time until AIM can do this. I say waste of time because AIM is a data system, and there are far far better video options that are cheaper.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
So has anyone used the HD as a stand alone?

It seems like the HD should have a gps thing in there so it can figure out your laptimes and do the track map , speed etc. on the embedded data on the playback.

When you read the website is makes it sound like to do this you need the soloDL to be plugged in at a minimum?
Yes, have used it standalone without GPS or speed but with g's, just triggered by acceleration, when I realized it needed to have it's own antenna or master logger and I didn't have one with me.

Then, I used it with just the antenna and got lap times, lap count, track map, speed and g's. This was, for me, the best standalone mode without a vehicle connection.

The battery only lasts 75-90 minutes, but when acting as a slave, it gets power from the logger that is the master, or now you can get cigarette lighter cords or permanent wire power cords.

The killer app is paired with the Solo DL, which provides logging as well as sending info and power to the SC HD.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
When will they have side by side lap comparisons sync'd to data like Vbox?

HD is a waste of time until AIM can do this. I say waste of time because AIM is a data system, and there are far far better video options that are cheaper.
I assume when RS 3 comes out.

On your latter observation, I disagree completely. The intelligent video (data overlaid real-time on the video) of the HD is what 75-80 per cent of the people use that I work with. The same with VVBOX Lite, but the video is SO much better quality (and have you priced the VVBOX Lite HD? NO data overlay on that, only synced) in the AiM SC HD, it's not even funny.

Few people I know will take the time to sync the HD files from the less expensive video recording options you cite with the data, it's just too much work for most.

People want to pull the chip and watch the speeds, g's, times, throttle position and brake pressure. At least most of them do.

When people want to dig deeper, then they open the data files. No question the side by side VVBL analysis is good, but there are benefits, pros and cons to each system.

I agree AiM is behind on the data/video synced window, but now they are ahead in "real-time rendered" data overlaid video.

Clearly, you haven't yet tried to set up MoTeC to do this. Epic fail... In usability, anyway.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
So has anyone used the HD as a stand alone? The docs on the website are unclear. It seems like the HD should have a gps thing in there so it can figure out your laptimes and do the track map , speed etc. on the embedded data on the playback. When you read the website is makes it sound like to do this you need the soloDL to be plugged in at a minimum? Comments?

Oops, Peter answerd this already!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My team had a race last weekend and we used a Smartycam HD for the first time:

Pretty impressive stuff + it acts as a GPS antenna for the installed MXL dash so we have the laptimes on the dash too, without using a beacon.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Pretty impressive stuff + it acts as a GPS antenna for the installed MXL dash so we have the laptimes on the dash too, without using a beacon.
It is, and I have a few MXL upgraders that have done the same thing.

This does require, here in the US, the purchase of the separate GPS antenna along withe the SC HD.

Then, just plug the CAN cable into the MXL from the SC HD and you're set!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:24 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed. Extra (cheaper) antenna + datahub.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Joe

Tell your friends that have the SC HD with the short cable (2 M) that I'll swap it for the 4 M cable if they bought the unit from me. The first batch was 2M cable only. Just have them e-mail me, I have the 4 M units in stock now
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Hi Joe

Tell your friends that have the SC HD with the short cable (2 M) that I'll swap it for the 4 M cable if they bought the unit from me. The first batch was 2M cable only. Just have them e-mail me, I have the 4 M units in stock now
Jerry - can I plug the GPS antenna into the data hub or does it have to go into the back of the camera (like my non-HD SCam did)? If data hub 2M is fine, if camera then need the 4M...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD review