Sponsored by:

Spare Parts..... Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Spare Parts..... Car

Reading Grassroots Motorsports Mag recently and there was an extended article regarding spare parts cars. I've been racing long enough to have gone through motors and being shy that one part that makes your car run like **** vs having a spare. Now we cannot tow a spare car w/ you but I just bought this beauty today as a spare.

97 M3. This guy lost a battle with a truck (went under it). He was OK. (I think I'd have reservations buying something someone perished in).
But basically full drive train, steering, half shafts, control arm, etc. etc. etc.

Any one else have something similar?
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Storage, or I'd have six 993s
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Holy hsit Dave- what does the interior look like- they cleaned off the blood first I hope.

I bot a 3/4 complete (no crank) spare motor for parts but have a virtual spare car after all the parts I've replaced (CF for steel panels, Cup brakes for stock etc)- does that count?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we bought a spec Boxster I have purchased three addational wrecked cars for just this reason. Set up an auto Dismantler license and now have parts galore. One car came in with so little damage I took parts from another and gave it to Amy as a daily driver for a while.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one that had not been wrecked, but had a tree fall on it. Not sure if you know what a Merkur XR4Ti was. I had a few of those before 944hal let me drive his car at a DE, at which point in time I thought "I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"

Anyway, that one parts car read like a Rapido parts list. For cars that had little in the way of aftermarket support in the US, this car had it all. Full Cosworth suspension, Koni sports, all PU bushings, 10,000 mile engine with a very heavily worked head, bigger aftermarket turbo. I don't even recall what else.

Guy from whom we got it had a tree fall on it, and moved it from place to place, when the city finally told him he had 3 days to get rid of it, or it would be removed. So I bought it for next to nothing.

I also had bought out a guy.....actually Dean Martin of Rehagen Racing (Grand Am) fame, from his ITB Mustang stuff, and had 8 short blocks, several transmissions, etc. I ended up giing away lot of it because I didn't have room to keep it all.

BTW, Dave, you didn't have your 550i at the DE a couple of weeks ago, did you? I've got a '10 535i (M Sport), and had to do a double take when a carbon black 550i went by. When I looked up close, I knew it wasn't a '10, because the interior was unique in '10 (black headliner), but they are rare enough that I had that quick "WTF, whose in my car!?" thought.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Sure, I went though 2 spare cars, and sold one with the race car.

btw, just found this fun site.... headlight fluid anyone? or cross drilled brake lines?

http://kalecoauto.com/
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

67King.
My 550 is Carbon black but I haven't had it near a track lately.

I'm planning on parting the car and putting large pieces on skids (trans, engine, etc.)
Break down suspension piece that would break in a shunt etc in the trailer to bring to the track. Hoping for the best, planning for the worse. to me it was worth the $1,700. + time to tear down etc.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 007DT
67King.
My 550 is Carbon black but I haven't had it near a track lately.

I'm planning on parting the car and putting large pieces on skids (trans, engine, etc.)
Break down suspension piece that would break in a shunt etc in the trailer to bring to the track. Hoping for the best, planning for the worse. to me it was worth the $1,700. + time to tear down etc.
THis one wasn't on the track, just in the paddock. May have parked behind the Goldcrest trailer. No matter.

Spare engines are always nice, but be careful, they tend to multiply like rabbits. I'm "down" to about 4 spare SP3 type engines (968, S2, turbo, S) in various states. Only one transmission, though. Definitely worth having. You may be able to sell all of the suspension parts to an E30 guy. Apparently, E30 bodied E36 M3's are quite the ticket. I'm not sure what parts you want to keep that would be needed, so that may not help. But just a thought.

Quick Reply: Spare Parts..... Car