Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are the non "marquee" pca races not doing well?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

PCA in southern CA is much different from PCA on east coast. It is such a pain to deal with PCA on the left coast that entire fields have gone to other, much more user friendly clubs such as POC and NASA.

There was a combined PCA/POC race in April , but the POC members needed to join PCA and meet each and every PCA requirement rather than just recognize their POC license for this one race -- This included paying for PCA membership and their $100 race license fee. Then the cars needed to fit the PCA classes and owners change certain things on their cars to comply. Although several POC racers went through all the hoops, several did not for this one off race.

this is just one recent example of PCA on the west coast. There are certainly more, but there isn't enough time
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I race my SP996 with PCA, and my Spec Miata with NASA. I've also raced the SP996 with NASA (it slots into GTS3). Both are great organizations with plusses and minuses. A little more rigamarole with PCA in terms of registering, getting etched,... A little more track time with PCA, but not by a huge amount. NASA in Texas runs great events, and is a bit more laid back, which I like, but the PCA events in TX are also well run and fun.

One comment about the wt/hp GTS classes in NASA. While it is a simple way to class, it does allow for an arms race in many ways. Yeah, you can't build an uber-powerful engine, but you can do all sorts of tricks to get the optimum torque curve, and you can play with intakes to get better power at speed. And virtually everything else is open. Brakes, aero, CF body parts, gearing, steering racks,... The sky is your limit. Great for builders and those with bottomless pockets who are in search for a national championship. Not so good for us mortals.

I love running SM with NASA & SP996 with PCA. I'm hoping as SP996 grows, NASA will adopt the rules just like they have with SPB. It's nice to have more racing opportunities closer to home.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
One comment about the wt/hp GTS classes in NASA. While it is a simple way to class, it does allow for an arms race in many ways. Yeah, you can't build an uber-powerful engine, but you can do all sorts of tricks to get the optimum torque curve, and you can play with intakes to get better power at speed. And virtually everything else is open. Brakes, aero, CF body parts, gearing, steering racks,... The sky is your limit. Great for builders and those with bottomless pockets who are in search for a national championship. Not so good for us mortals.
What do you expect from GT classes? The open rules is exactly what I love about GT classes!!

If you don't want open rules, stay away from the GT classes.

Scott
Old 07-06-2013, 09:09 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

A number of us were discussing this subject at Mid-O today. Very low turnout for such a historic track. Mosport last weekend wasn't any better.

For east coast guys I think the scheduling of Watkins, VIR, Mosport, and Mid-O so closely together meant that people had to choose.

And yes per previous comment moving Road Atlanta out of March would be a good idea. I'm surprised we didn't have snow.

Last edited by jdistefa; 07-06-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
What do you expect from GT classes? The open rules is exactly what I love about GT classes!!

If you don't want open rules, stay away from the GT classes.

Scott
I do. So do a lot of other people. Some folks love it. More power to them.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

At least in the GT classes you don't have people seeing what cheats they can get away with. Some of the stock cars have more money in them then the GT cars ever dreamed to have.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 646 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
A number of us were discussing this subject at Mid-O today. Very low turnout for such a historic track. Mosport last weekend wasn't any better.

For east coast guys I think the scheduling of Watkins, VIR, Mosport, and Mid-O so closely together meant that people had to choose.

And yes per previous comment moving Road Atlanta out of March would be a good idea. I'm surprised we didn't have snow.
One of the problems with scheduling is the tracks....like it or not, PCA races/de's rank extremely low on the pecking order for a track schedule. We are basically a "fill in" ... we dont bring paying spectators and spend lots of money at concessions. If something "better" comes along, we get bumped. Plus, most tracks already have completely filled calendars with waiting lists. That's what happened to Mid Ohio and Road Atlanta. MO got bumped by Nascar and was told to take the 4th weekend or get nothing. RA race would love to move to late April, but the track has no open dates.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Auto Club Speedway the POC racers who were "forced" to join PCA and meet all PCA CR rules were racing with PCA, under PCA's insurance and PCA rules. Seems pretty simple to me that if they want to be running with a club they should join the club, pay the same as other club members and run under the same rules.
What am I missing here?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

And as a follow up to the POC vs PCA licensing discussion, several years ago I was stewarding a PCA CR in California. I was introduced to the POC president. I mentioned to him that I knew several PCA racers who were interested in racing with POC at Laguna Seca that year as PCA did not have a race there. I made it clear we would join POC, our cars would meet all POC rules, we had Full PCA CR licenses etc. he told me we'd have to go thru the POC time trials, etc first, to get our licenses, which obviously would prevent us from racing with them at Laguna, since it required several events in California, which wouldn't work for us from further East. Not sure whether that's changed, as I do know Susan Shire has a good relationship with the POC licensing administrator but....
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
At Auto Club Speedway the POC racers who were "forced" to join PCA and meet all PCA CR rules were racing with PCA, under PCA's insurance and PCA rules. Seems pretty simple to me that if they want to be running with a club they should join the club, pay the same as other club members and run under the same rules.
What am I missing here?
Certainly PCA's right to require all of that. But another way to look at it would be why not make it as simple and welcoming a process as possible for the POC members to participate at this one-off and possibly attract a few over to PCA. Just good marketing.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Just remeber this is CLUB racing, for FUN!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
And as a follow up to the POC vs PCA licensing discussion, several years ago I was stewarding a PCA CR in California. I was introduced to the POC president. I mentioned to him that I knew several PCA racers who were interested in racing with POC at Laguna Seca that year as PCA did not have a race there. I made it clear we would join POC, our cars would meet all POC rules, we had Full PCA CR licenses etc. he told me we'd have to go thru the POC time trials, etc first, to get our licenses, which obviously would prevent us from racing with them at Laguna, since it required several events in California, which wouldn't work for us from further East. Not sure whether that's changed, as I do know Susan Shire has a good relationship with the POC licensing administrator but....
POC must have listened to you. Two years ago several PCA SPB drivers joined POC for their Laguna Seca and Thunderhill events. POC provided a discount equal to their annual membership fee and accepted our PCA log books since our cars exceeded the POC requirements. They were very welcoming and accommodating. I think PCA, NASA and POC are reasonable in honoring each others' race licenses. PCA and NASA also enforce their somewhat stricter/different vehicle technical requirements, which creates an additional hurdle for some POC cars. This was especially challenging at the California Festival of Speed due to the large number of new-to-PCA cars. Now that those cars have their PCA log books future events should be simple, so I hope those drivers continue to participate with PCA.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
Certainly PCA's right to require all of that. But another way to look at it would be why not make it as simple and welcoming a process as possible for the POC members to participate at this one-off and possibly attract a few over to PCA. Just good marketing.
As an example of good marketing, our first race of the year with 944 Cup was with SCCA Northern NJ region at Pocono. I have a PCA license and the process was very easy. Registered and paid online. At the track, registration was quick and took 5 mins plus $10 for a weekend SCCA membership. They accepted the PCA license with no issue. Tech was quick and easy too. Everybody was very helpful and even though we weren't SCCA, were happy and glad to see us. They even gave us a split start even though we had a very small turnout. Nothing but thumbs up to the region and SCCA from this racer.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Truth is CA Festival of Speed has been losing money for many years and was in danger of completely going away. PCA had to invite POC in order to get the numbers up which it did and was pitched to the rank and file as a joint race, but POC being scored separately. This was thought of as POC being invited as a guest, but it was soon evident it was not a join event but rather run under PCA rules etc. which is understandable as insurance requirements needed to be met. The additional hoops referred too earlier in his thread is what turned a lot of people off.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Yep, Spec 911 is so popular you have to mention it twice! (I'll correct you in meaning Spec 944.)
Originally Posted by ckkrause
...Don't forget Spec Boxster!!!!! We had the 2nd largest group behind Spec 911...

-CK
spec boxster = bsr
yes, ken you must also bought a mooty translator from TCD. i did mean spec 944 in addition to spec 911.

Quick Reply: Why are the non "marquee" pca races not doing well?