Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are the non "marquee" pca races not doing well?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I don't necessarily agree. Just because its not a "big" track doesn't mean it didn't take just as much effort, time or money to win or place.

Technically there are only 3 really "big" races...Sebring, Glen and now COTA. Even Road America isn't huge.

The reality is, do we really think people race these races because of the points? Those were really popular long before the points, so I'm not sure if changing the points system will change anything anyway.
I think it would if the points were weighted in favor of the smaller events. A sliding points scale might help to preserve and increase participation at non-marque tracks. This could skew the points the other way, but the results would favor smaller regional turnout which some of us think is a good thing for PCA Club Racing.

Competition effects turnout also. Take NASA SE and Road Atlanta - they have 5 of their 10 scheduled events there this year. Could be that a lot of people are doing something like this. They race at a top tier track and most live within a 6 hour tow.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 904 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
A 5th out of 25 cars at Watkins Glen should absolutely be worth more than a 5th out 5 cars at Putnam... which is why I'm sure the Bonus Points system was created.
Then base bonus points on the number of cars that take the green flag, not the track....

Scott
Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

How about participation/event points ONLY for the non-big races? I.e anything that's not one of those three? It wouldn't hurt those races-people will race them regardless- but it might help others?

Just a thought....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice idea Bob. The national points makes it easier for Porsche racers to pick a PCA event rather than another bodies event and a point tweak that you're suggesting would help the smaller events.
However, the responsibility of creating an event that is appealing to PCA racers still rests on the individual region. If PCA national could give extra promotional assistance to the smaller events then maybe it would be easier to "sell" their event or at least get their POD out.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Overall, I think most smaller races do a good job putting on a good and enjoyable event. Roebling, CMP, even Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio who's numbers aren't what you would think for those tracks do a really good job promoting themselves and the "fun factor" of their events. But for whatever reason (which is the point of this thread) people don't show.

I had 4 races planned this year - Roebling, Mid Ohio, Summit point and CMP... (Unfortunately engine issues will sideline me for the balance of this year and miss Summit and CMP). As I said, I like the smaller races...fun, laid back, and a really good weekend with good friends. And still very good racing!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 980 Likes on 588 Posts

I think everyone is missing the fact that participation is down in all areas and groups. All of the car clubs are having trouble filling DE events, SCCA is not filling races. Other groups are seeing the same thing. It's a case of more time on track through more groups, at more tracks, with less participants than in the past. There are simply not enough people to fill all the events.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read all the posts so this may have been mentioned:

In the past, getting on the track used to be harder in general. If you wanted to race there were limited options. Now, there are lots of DE's where people can go and have some fun and not invest in the whole race car experience just to get some "fun time." I know I fall into that category--I've looked into getting a PCA/SCCA license and the cost and time associated with doing that was prohibitive to me. So, I settled in to doing DE's. I think DE's have shifted some of the folks who may have considered racing in the past but weren't really thrilled about everything you had to do in order to "race."
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that it's a true roval but TWS is my fav of all.

Mike Q
Spec Box #23
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by gmsracing
I didn't read all the posts so this may have been mentioned:

In the past, getting on the track used to be harder in general. If you wanted to race there were limited options. Now, there are lots of DE's where people can go and have some fun and not invest in the whole race car experience just to get some "fun time." I know I fall into that category--I've looked into getting a PCA/SCCA license and the cost and time associated with doing that was prohibitive to me. So, I settled in to doing DE's. I think DE's have shifted some of the folks who may have considered racing in the past but weren't really thrilled about everything you had to do in order to "race."
"Race" and DE are Apples and Oranges, once you "race" DE's are no longer "fun time" for many of us. If you are a racer you figure out a way to race, I would rather do 3 races than 15 DEs, so financially its cheaper to race. See the logic?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice logic Gary.
But in reality, you should be doing the 3 races AND the 15 DE's. unless you are running lap times like Partick, Spencer, Andy or Jorge, you (like the rest of us) need seat time!

I take a different approach to DE's. think about it - it's called Drivers Education. Everyone's education is different. Mine is to learn the limits of the car offline or in places I would make a pass. When nobody is around me (and sometimes when they are ) that's what I do in a de.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

I do Bob (Instructing helps) , but if one has to go guess which one goes 1st...

And BTW, my middle name is Patrick....
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh I know, just busting on you...

I probably do more DE than race because Nadine loves to drive, but no interest in racing. DE is something we can do together - and she enjoys instructing a lot. Besides, she makes most of the money in the family, so if she wants to do DE, we do DE

Back on topic: 7 pages and obviously no clear cut answer to the original question.

Quick Reply: Why are the non "marquee" pca races not doing well?