Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are the non "marquee" pca races not doing well?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:16 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I agree that PCA has too many classes. They should go toward some type of wt vs hp standard. There are now 60 different classes in PCA, that is a bit too much granularity. The Texas PCA events were well attended and I believe the SCCA and NASA events have also been well attended. As the Texas economy hasn't suffered as bad as the rest of the country I would put poor attendance down to poor economy. It is a hobby that chews through spare funds, and when they are not there....
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

NASA formula is much simpler.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
deutschkar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Dang, what's going on out there in CA?

Back East, this is how it all goes down:
1) Register with a few clicks at ClubRegistration. Yeah yeah my emergency contact info is the same. Pay with a few clicks at Paypal.
2) Registration at the track: "Can I please see your driver's license? Find your name on the list and sign next to it. Here is your packet and T-shirt (usually black)."
3) Tech at the track: "First race this year? Any changes to your car? Tape this tech sticker to the inside of your windshield because it's going to pour down rain again this year."

I don't see how it could get any easier...
X2
Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Register with a few clicks at ClubRegistration. Yeah yeah my emergency contact info is the same. Pay with a few clicks at Paypal.
2) Registration at the track: "Can I please see your driver's license? Find your name on the list and sign next to it. Here is your packet and T-shirt (usually black)."
3) Tech at the track: "First race this year? Any changes to your car? Tape this tech sticker to the inside of your windshield because it's going to pour down rain again this year."

Out here for NASA:
A couple mouse clicks to register and pay via credit card stored on the server. Just type the security digits.
At the track the tech people come by the place where you are pitted and sign off and provide sticker. (2 minutes max and they come to you, couldn't be easier)
Go Race.

Last PCA race:
A couple mouse clicks to register.
Send a check to the registrar, no paypal or no credit cards allowed. Physical check only.
Get to the track and find the registrar for the Friday practice day. National techs don't show up at 3 pm as scheduled, but arrive about 5. Then they have an issue that the registration for Friday doesn't work for Sat/Sun. Wait while they sort it out. GGR was trying to make it easier, National got upset. Finally about 5:30 we could register. Tech line was really long but eventually got the log book signed. Wasted time: about 2 hours of back and forth seeing if they've shown up and then waiting. National folk were more rude than polite. The next morning I hear I need an additional tech sticker before I can go out. Folk at the DE tech station say tech is closed too bad for you (there is no Racer tech station). I eventually find out I must see one of the GGR race people and they simply hand me the sticker and apologize for the miscommunication.

I got started with PCA DEs and really appreciate the efforts most the volunteers make (I have also served as an instructor to pay something back to the club). I just think they are not as customer friendly when it comes to club racing. I do believe this is a big factor in the lower turn-out at Nor Cal races. There is competition and the other organizations do a better job and get more racers to attend.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Dang, what's going on out there in CA?

X3

Originally Posted by Tom W
Last PCA race:
A couple mouse clicks to register.
Send a check to the registrar, no paypal or no credit cards allowed. Physical check only.
Get to the track and find the registrar for the Friday practice day. National techs don't show up at 3 pm as scheduled, but arrive about 5. Then they have an issue that the registration for Friday doesn't work for Sat/Sun. Wait while they sort it out. GGR was trying to make it easier, National got upset. Finally about 5:30 we could register. Tech line was really long but eventually got the log book signed. Wasted time: about 2 hours of back and forth seeing if they've shown up and then waiting. National folk were more rude than polite. The next morning I hear I need an additional tech sticker before I can go out. Folk at the DE tech station say tech is closed too bad for you (there is no Racer tech station). I eventually find out I must see one of the GGR race people and they simply hand me the sticker and apologize for the miscommunication.
Sounds very unusual. Not my experience at all.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:48 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree there are too many classes and that just dilutes the racing.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Money.

Money.

Money.

People aren't willing to spend it as much as they used to.

Number of races hasn't changed too much in the last ten years. Number of classes isn't too different from 10 years ago. Number of other places to play (SCCA, NASA, etc.) hasn't changed too much from 10 years ago.

It's all about the money.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:05 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
NASA formula is much simpler.
OK

So why isn't NASA GTS doing better.
Fields are pretty small at most races.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
OK

So why isn't NASA GTS doing better.
Fields are pretty small at most races.
Exactly where are any GT classes large for any sanctioning body?

Scott
Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA at Miller in September is now a combined event with POC due to low numbers in the past.

I like PCA racing, they are usually well run events with good racers, enforced rules, and few if any bone heads on the track....
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I started racing with PCA two summers ago. I've always had a good experience with the organization, its representatives and the registration process. I would think that those posting their bad experiences must be anomalies.

Wanting to race against same classed competition and wanting to make a run in the PCA points series, I choose and exclude events based on the number of individuals signed up for my class. I'm lucky enough (by design) to race Stock E and, thus, have a relatively large number of events to choose from as well as having many great drivers to learn from. However, I see many events with only one or two racers signed up for a vast majority of the classes. This sucks.

Racing alone or nearly alone (in class) to me is no more than running a really expensive DE. I don't have an interest in spending my money this way. With this in mind, consolidating some of the PCA classes might open my eyes to some of the smaller venues. Am I alone here?

Last edited by caymancyr; 07-04-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last month's PCA Club Race at Laguna was sold out. The event was run differently than most PCA races since we were just a guest run group of SCCA. I think that affected how 'services' were delivered. Much less track time compared to a normal PCA event, but I still had a great time despite mechanical issues.
My experience with PCA is that once you have a log book and the national crew arrive, tech consists of getting your log stamped and picking up a sticker. No need for the car to be present. PRC is similar, but the tech crew are local so less chance of them being delayed.
There are 6 PCA races in California this year, one less than PRC, though not all at Sonoma and Thunderhill, so more travel involved for NorCal racers.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
. There are 6 PCA races in California this year, one less than PRC, though not all at Sonoma and Thunderhill, so more travel involved for NorCal racers.
For 2013, there are two PCA Club Races at Thunderhill, two at Buttonwillow, one at Laguna Seca, and one at Auto Club Speedway....

Scott
Old 07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
Last month's PCA Club Race at Laguna was sold out. The event was run differently than most PCA races since we were just a guest run group of SCCA. I think that affected how 'services' were delivered. Much less track time compared to a normal PCA event, but I still had a great time despite mechanical issues.
My experience with PCA is that once you have a log book and the national crew arrive, tech consists of getting your log stamped and picking up a sticker. No need for the car to be present. PRC is similar, but the tech crew are local so less chance of them being delayed.
There are 6 PCA races in California this year, one less than PRC, though not all at Sonoma and Thunderhill, so more travel involved for NorCal racers.
I was at this PCA CR. it was my first and i had a great time. it was simple to get tech to sign me off. greta weekend and great club imo.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was at an scca race two weeks ago. it was really well run, the stewards and the club were great. but, it was really annoying to get only 2 x 18minute sesssions on the day. thats insane.
go all that way, take time off work, for 36 minutes on track.

Quick Reply: Why are the non "marquee" pca races not doing well?