Sterling Moss - Women Lack Mental Skill for F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Default Sterling Moss - Women Lack Mental Skill for F1

I guess when you are 83 years old you get to say whatever you want. I think we will see a women driver in F1 in the next five years. Reminds me of how my uncle used to throw around the "N word" like it was nothing. Different times.

http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/3213...-skill-for-F1-

'Women lack the mental skill for F1'

Sir Stirling Moss, arguably the greatest driver never win the World title, reckons women do not have the "mental aptitude" for F1.

At a time when women are beginning to take key roles in Formula One, such as Monisha Kaltenborn at Sauber's team boss and Claire Williams as deputy at Williams, Moss has weighed in on whether the sport will ever have a woman driver.

According to the 83-year-old, women can't hack it in Formula One, not because of physical strength but because of their mental make-up.

Moss told BBC Radio 5 live: "I think they have the strength, but I don't know if they've got the mental aptitude to race hard, wheel-to-wheel.

"We've got some very strong and robust ladies, but, when your life is at risk, I think the strain of that in a competitive situation will tell when you're trying to win.

"The mental stress I think would be pretty difficult for a lady to deal with in a practical fashion. I just don't think they have aptitude to win a Formula 1 race."

However, Williams development driver Susie Wolff says she is flabbergasted by the Brit's comments.

"I completely disagree with him. It makes me cringe hearing that," the 30-year-old told BBC Sport.

"I don't know where to start after hearing that interview. I've got a lot of respect for Sir Stirling and what he achieved, but I think we're in a different generation.

"For Moss, it's unbelievable that a female would drive a Formula 1 car, which is fair enough. In the days they were racing, every time they stepped into a car, they were putting their life on the line.

"But F1 is much more technologically advanced, it's much safer than it was."

But while Wolff would like to see a woman race, or even be that woman herself, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says there is "not really" a chance of that happening in the near future.

"There's no reason why a woman shouldn't be able to compete with a man," the F1 supremo added.

"Unfortunately, the way things are, I don't imagine a lady will ever get the chance to drive a Red Bull or a Ferrari.

"The only chance is with a lesser team - and they only take someone if they come with a good sponsor. Regretfully, the problem is that many ladies who could compete probably as well as the guys won't get chance."
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow. First time I think I've ever agreed with Bernie.

"Regretfully, the problem is that many ladies who could compete probably as well as the guys won't get chance."
Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 307 Posts

I will refrain from commenting.....................
Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I wish I could take credit for this, but I saw it on Jalopnik... still funny...

This one seems to be doing well enough...
Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Based upon Danica's performance I tend to agree with Sir Stirling. Do I think women can be competitive in F1? Yes
When? I do not know.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Can't say I agree or disagree with this, but my gut says he is wrong.

I've seen enough women drive well at the track, so they most certainly can drive the car. In fact, I believe women have an advantage in that they tend to work with the car from the start rather than trying to brute force it into submission like a lot of guys would (myself included). Women also tend to listen better.

That said, the biggest weakness appears to be being too timid or too nice when the competition heats up.

Men can learn to overcome the testosterone drive to over drive the car. Is it not logical to think that women can learn overcome the estrogen drive to "be nice"? I think it is only a matter of time before we see more women professional drivers that often do well, but it hasn't happened yet...

On a side note, I do remember a women in yellow classroom at a PCA DE event commenting that if the car in front is only a littler slower than you, why don't you just not pass them? I, and I'm sure the rest of the class, were aghast at the comment. Of course you pass him!

-Mike
Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Stirling has been huffing the Geritol a bit too aggressively lately.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Moss is the kind of guy that thought he'd never see a female Prime Minister, a female astronaut or even a female out of the kitchen....

What's the old saying, he raced when the tires were skinny and the drivers were fat. Todays drivers, whether male or female train like elite athletes, are data savvy and are on various simulators as much as they can be, much more committed and professional than the days when dinosaurs like Moss roamed the earth. It's a purely numbers game. There is simply not the sample size of female drivers to statistically make this a valid argument.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,061 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Moss is the kind of guy that thought he'd never see a female Prime Minister, a female astronaut or even a female out of the kitchen....

What's the old saying, he raced when the tires were skinny and the drivers were fat. Todays drivers, whether male or female train like elite athletes, are data savvy and are on various simulators as much as they can be, much more committed and professional than the days when dinosaurs like Moss roamed the earth. It's a purely numbers game. There is simply not the sample size of female drivers to statistically make this a valid argument.
+1,000,000!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This idiot is such a joke does he realize that there are fighter pilots that are women who protect and serve? that also have to withstand higher G loads than in an F1 car. BTW, a typical F1 race only lasts 1.5 hrs.

Ever wonder what takes more mental ability? A fighter pilot or a F1 driver?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure, they'll be a woman driver in Formula 1, probably just like Danika, bringing loads of sponsor money from companies wanting to sell to women. But from what I've observed so far from the ranks of woman drivers, I seriously doubt there will be a woman WDC in F1. As we've seen in NASCAR and Indy car, having a seat, and winning races and championships, are two different things.

Last edited by Land Jet; 04-18-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
This idiot is such a joke does he realize that there are fighter pilots that are women who protect and serve? that also have to withstand higher G loads than in an F1 car. BTW, a typical F1 race only lasts 1.5 hrs.

Ever wonder what takes more mental ability? A fighter pilot or a F1 driver?
Yup.

F1 drivers only have to deal with 2 dimensions, and only with speeds approaching 200 MPH.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:06 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Senility's a helluva drug.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Sure, they'll be a woman driver in Formula 1, probably just like Danika, bringing loads of sponsor money from companies wanting to sell to women. But from what I've observed so far from the ranks of woman drivers, I seriously doubt there will be a woman WDC in F1. As we've seen in NASCAR and Indy car, having a seat, and winning races and championships, is two different things.
There was an Italian female F1 driver in the mid 1970s who had 12 starts in a back marker car. Aside from that, there hasn't been anyone of note.

Being deserving of a seat and winning are two different things especially at the pro level and in F1 especially with several rides being paid for. The best example with regard to the female ranks is Mika Duno who paid for a seat and was not qualified to have it. Even you have to admit that Danica has the talent to be in a seat and is paid to be in it, but will probably never win a title.

I'll leave you with this: Jean Alesi. High profile F1 driver who drove in F1 for 12 years with the highest of teams including Ferrari.......
Career F1 titles: None
Career F1 wins: 1
Years in Formula 1: 12

Tell me, if he was a woman, would he have lasted at that level that long?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that there are lots of good women drivers I think that as we continue to recognize that weight is the enemy of speed, we will end up with tiny female drivers not only in F1 but even other motorsports

Quick Reply: Sterling Moss - Women Lack Mental Skill for F1