Sponsored by:

HPDE Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
With all due respect, by looking at your video, I think it would have been more beneficial for you to still have an instructor in the car.....
If you could clarify why, I'd appreciate it. Looking to learn. Please also keep in mind that on this run, I was babying the car a little as it was running hot (for reasons I'm working on now). Thus the shifts into 5th to keep the revs down.

Pontifex, I'm "up on the wheel" by choice. The 928 is a lot more spacious under the dash than pretty much any other Porsche. The pod slides vertically. And I'm shuffle steering because that's how my first instructor taught me to steer. If I'm doing it wrong, again please advise. Looking to learn.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
With all due respect, by looking at your video, I think it would have been more beneficial for you to still have an instructor in the car.....
Agreed.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtshark
If you could clarify why, I'd appreciate it. Looking to learn. Please also keep in mind that on this run, I was babying the car a little as it was running hot (for reasons I'm working on now). Thus the shifts into 5th to keep the revs down.

Pontifex, I'm "up on the wheel" by choice. The 928 is a lot more spacious under the dash than pretty much any other Porsche. The pod slides vertically. And I'm shuffle steering because that's how my first instructor taught me to steer. If I'm doing it wrong, again please advise. Looking to learn.
Shuffle steering is one of the problems the other is smoothness. You're transitions from brake to throttle need work and you need to learn how to heal toe. However, with respect you're probably just about where you should be for the number of days you have in. Do some autocross also to work on car control skills. It'll give you more confidence and you'll add some speed.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only bring it up because it looked as though you didn't have room to turn the wheel through 180 degrees with your hands at 9 and 3. I shuffle occasionally (I sit close to the wheel, too) but it's a habit I'm trying to break.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Were you safe to go solo, sure but you learn very little. We can all give you things we saw in the video but you really need the input when you do it. You may go threw many instructors before you find one that fits the way you learn. Practice make permanent not perfect.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I only bring it up because it looked as though you didn't have room to turn the wheel through 180 degrees with your hands at 9 and 3. I shuffle occasionally (I sit close to the wheel, too) but it's a habit I'm trying to break.
The head instructor at this event suggested a seat position that allowed you to drape your hand over the steering wheel at the wrist. That's where mine was.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

These vague responses about seeing things in the video without specifying what you're seeing are as useful as a pocket on a shirt. I'm eager to learn and improve, so any specifics you can provide would be greatly appreciated. This was only my second event. And sorry to the OP for the thread hijack.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the suggestions to have an instructor are to avoid being too critical publicly in the thread. If you want someone to PM you with some more poignant comments then just ask. A good instructor will help your hand position, corner preparation, braking, etc. Based on your video I would not solo you as a driver yet, but after a session or two you could definitely safely practice some techniques on your own.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

I am explicitly asking for criticism and education. All I'm getting so far is that I'm doing it wrong, with no suggestions of an alternative method. Off to milk my bull...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Another set of laps, different view:
Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am explicitly asking for criticism and education. All I'm getting so far is that I'm doing it wrong, with no suggestions of an alternative method. Off to milk my bull...
You asked here you go.
1 you are shuffle steering endlessly which is one of the cause of multiple line adjustment mid corner. I can not believe someone would teach you that.

2 coasting before braking.

3 coasting mid corner , gas or brakes never nothing

4 3 feet from almost every apex.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

3 feet is wrong, but thanks for the other feedback. Seriously.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Also, am I being discouraged here? Should I bail on DE's? I was considering making my 928 a dedicated track car, especially because of the warm reception received at VIR, and because of how much fun I had. Here, not so much. If I suck, well, ok then. Better to cut it off now. Just let me know.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, am I being discouraged here? Should I bail on DE's? I was considering making my 928 a dedicated track car, especially because of the warm reception received at VIR, and because of how much fun I had. Here, not so much. If I suck, well, ok then. Better to cut it off now. Just let me know.
You've had what, 2 track days?

Post a video and expect some constructive criticism- just like a DE, I'd suggest checking the ego at the door.

There are some very good drivers and excellent coaches here so absorb and apply their advice - don't get offended or discouraged. You were told you are roughly where one would expect for your level of experience - great!

The reality is that there are always people better, faster, and more experienced - learn from them .

Don't give up DE'ing after only a couple of days , especially due to the comments here. Nobody is trying to cut you down - regardless of any perceived tone, people are only trying to help you.

Marc
Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I posted a video once of my first spin. The feedback was pretty brutal, but accurate. I didn't know what I didn't know. I have a lot to learn, but all of the good drivers that I know are constantly trying to learn and experiment. I have only been doing DE's seriously for about a year and a half. I have had some great sessions where I figure out a turn or two and gain a second, sessions where I drive horribly and still gain a second or two, sessions where I feel like I am driving the best I have ever driven and am 2-3 seconds off my best laps, and sessions where I know I am off and cut my losses. It can get very discouraging at times, yet I keep coming back for a few simple reasons: (1) it is still a lot of fun, (2) I love the camaraderie of like-minded enthusiasts, (3) my track car has no other practical use, (4) next track day will even better if I just do X-Y-Z a little bit better.

Hang in there Courtshark. Keep an open mind. Don't let pride get in the way of learning. Not all instruction is going to resonate, but just soak up what you can.

I do think you need to unlearn the shuffle steering. Watch the video that TXE36 posted in this same sub-forum with Veloce Raptor driving his car. Watch VR's hands. I have also seen Joost Perquin videos. Both of those guys could hold a baby bird between their palms and the steering wheel without doing it any harm.

Quick Reply: HPDE Experiences