Sponsored by:

HPDE Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
And then there are those who ask for input, but never listen.
Listen, if you can find a conflicting opinion on the internet always believe the one that makes you feel better...
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Listen, if you can find a conflicting opinion on the internet always believe the one that makes you feel better...
Reminds me that the desired result of a scientific experiment is the truth, not what you think may be the "right" answer.

-Mike
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtshark
PS: green run group = not open passing! There's plenty of coasting waiting for the opportunity to pass, and only in a "perceived straight." I will gladly admit to coasting on other occasions, though, including the end of the back straight. I'm on street tires, so coming into that left hander at 150 mph is not within my car's realm of capabilities, unless I just want to keep going straight. I can hit the top speed, but not the slower mark! Even with GTS brakes.
This is why we did not want to give you advice on the Internet ,your arguing that you didn't do something when you don't really understand what it is. Relax work with some different instructors until you find one that you relate to. I have a coach drive with when ever I can you just can't pick the subtleties with out direct input at the time.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I apologized for the hijack once already, but I'll do it again. Sorry, seriously.

And I think this discussion would be a lot different in person. I think you guys think I'm some kind of troll, and it's really kinda sad to me how some of you are so completely unlike most of the folks I've met at these events. Which is why I'll just go to events instead of subjecting myself to this! To those that have provided constructive feedback, please accept my sincerest thanks.

Before I sign off of the thread, the most important thing the head instructor said at VIR: "The instructor on the track overrules me in the classroom, every time."
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
NOBODY EVER HIT A PAR ROUND OF GOLF ON THEIR SECOND OR EVEN TENTH ROUND OF GOLF -- track driving is at least as difficult and demanding.
Not even close. Top .001% of active golfers still aren't scratch. Probably 50% of us here are only precluded from racing in Grand Am by our bank accounts. I've always found golf competition much more taxing than any racing I've ever done--golf having started when I was about 14, racing at 21. That said, a 5 handicap is likely the automotive equivalent of being 1/4 sec/lap off lap record pace?

Back to whatever was going on with the original OP, just stay away from NASA Nor Cal for DE. Whole different culture in the marque schools (GGR, BMW, etc.) and the private ones that are 100% DE. But outside of PCA, not too many of us left with torsion bar car experience in Northern California who instruct at all. I usually try to search them out though it's unlikely I'll be at the track this year.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Other thing I saw in general in the early posts was why the focus on "days/events/seasons" of DE at certain levels. My second day on track ever was an SCCA licensing school. Can't say I was especially talented, but was competent enough. What did help me, and is wholly overlooked today, was having spent more-or-less the previous three years (18-21) corner working, crewing, working timing and scoring, helping with tech......and a LOT of observation of cars on track AND bugging experienced, successful drivers and crew.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I apologized for the hijack once already, but I'll do it again. Sorry, seriously.

And I think this discussion would be a lot different in person. I think you guys think I'm some kind of troll, and it's really kinda sad to me how some of you are so completely unlike most of the folks I've met at these events. Which is why I'll just go to events instead of subjecting myself to this! To those that have provided constructive feedback, please accept my sincerest thanks.

Before I sign off of the thread, the most important thing the head instructor said at VIR: "The instructor on the track overrules me in the classroom, every time."
Everything I posted here I would say to your face, and I'm pretty sure that's true of everybody. Strawmen do not help here; nobody said they would override the instructor in the car and nobody but you mentioned trolls.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Many here have lead you to the water, it's up to you to drink it.

Don't post track videos to a track forum without understanding that they are, in general, a pretty tough crowd. Note that tough does not mean unfair or unreasonable.

-Mike
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

You apologized, then proceeded to post more video. Start your own thread, it's that simple!

I think you guys think I'm some kind of troll, and it's really kinda sad to me how some of you are so completely unlike most of the folks I've met at these events.
Understand this - we ARE the guys at these events, spread across the entire US! I sincerely apologize that we didn't say what you obviously wanted to hear... not.

Criticism is hard to hear, being told everything is A-OK isn't. It's your choice to listen and take it in, or poo-poo what doesn't sound good and shoot the messenger. I hope you continue and someday come back to this and see it for what it is, people trying to help you.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On another point- It was mentioned in this tread - different instruction from different Coaches. Yellow 996 hit it on the head in #94 and Fred in #92. Making sure you are practicing and communicating the correct things. "Purposeful Practice" applies to coaches as well. The more the Coaches ride together equals consistency in communication and teaching the same basics. Consistent Instruction -a tough goal.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Other thing I saw in general in the early posts was why the focus on "days/events/seasons" of DE at certain levels. My second day on track ever was an SCCA licensing school. Can't say I was especially talented, but was competent enough. What did help me, and is wholly overlooked today, was having spent more-or-less the previous three years (18-21) corner working, crewing, working timing and scoring, helping with tech......and a LOT of observation of cars on track AND bugging experienced, successful drivers and crew.
By those standards, Ken, I still should be doing DE events with an instructor at all times.....

Scott
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

No worries, I'm also learning from this exchange.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Dave, try your local PCA chapter. PCA runs great and safe events.
I'll be at Thunderhill next week with the PCA GGR group and am looking forward to a full day of instruction.

Originally Posted by race911
Back to whatever was going on with the original OP, just stay away from NASA Nor Cal for DE. Whole different culture in the marque schools (GGR, BMW, etc.) and the private ones that are 100% DE.
Lesson learned the hard way.

Originally Posted by TXE36
The video that is most valuable for learning is inside the car where it captures the outside view, the wheel, the shifter, and if possible, at least you legs.
The video I have of past days was taken from an iP4 suction mounted to my windshield. End result is a nice view of the road but no hand, wheel or shifter coverage. For the upcoming weekend, I'm planning to suction mount the camera to the rear window which will capture the wheel, shifter and also the road ahead. Fingers crossed that PCA GGR will allow a robust Ram suction mount. Dave
Old 03-31-2013, 03:28 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dasams
I'll be at Thunderhill next week with the PCA GGR group and am looking forward to a full day of instruction.
OP here. I was going to let this thread die but I had enough positive comments that I thought I'd give an update.

I attended my first PCA track day on Fri which was held under beautiful conditions at Thunderhill in NorCal. I was in the yellow (beginner) group and had two instructors over the course of the day. As most of you know, PCA runs a first class operation and the instruction was excellent. Also, there were only about a dozen cars in my run group so plenty of open space.

The beauty of the open track was that I could work on threshold braking which was not possible on my last outing due to slow traffic. I also had plenty of room to run at wide open throttle, again, something that I haven't been able to consistently do in the past due to traffic.

I videoed the last session using an iPhone on my windshield and a GoPro mounted on the rear window. The new version of HLT allows pic in pic which is helpful for reviewing the laps.

As a beginner, I was learning the brake and turn in points and tried to drive smoothly and consistently. One surprise was that my last three laps were all within a 0.23 sec window, ie, slow but consistent Here's my last lap where I missed not one but two shifts And no, this was not the norm as I only recall one other miss all day. So yes, I'm setting myself up for ridicule so please be gentle

Here's my 2:23 lap but sadly my GoPoint BT1 malfunctioned so that telemetry was screwed up. One of the key things I need to work on is looking further up the track. Constructive comments appreciated. Dave
Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Interesting thread. A few comments and observations.
Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Sometimes I feel like I am the world's slowest learner, and other guys are the second coming of Ayrton Senna.
And everyone learns at a different pace. Some people process the information beforehand and then can soon execute, others put the fundamentals to bed, then progress. Try not to gauge your progress compared to others, focus on yourself and your own development.

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Be careful of absolutes in concepts. For example, that it is inappropriate to go solo early on. I was well-prepared through careful study and I was intensely focused on learning the craft, not thrillseeking.

If you really want to leverage the resources, it IS helpful to go to places where the vast majority of folks are there for the same reason.
Truth.

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
When you drive with other area groups, you can sometimes "work the network" to get an instructor or coach that is a known commodity.

Study, study, study. Discuss. Engage. And don't forget to have fun!
The former, good advice. The latter, the great draw of this sport.

Originally Posted by sbelles
With mad skilz, a student might be consciously competent at driving the line after a couple of days but I think that they should be unconsciously competent before they go solo for good. If you are still thinking about your driving then you can't be thinking about what you are going to do if things go bad.
Scott, that Ross Bentley-touted progression really makes sense, doesn't it? A good guide for all.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
My only gripe about some instructors is that they try to change your driving instead of working with your style. One instructor tells you to take an apex at a certain point and the next tells you that is wrong. Some things are fact and some are opinion and feel. A good instructor will recognize all of this and try to enhance and instruct, not change unless something is actually wrong.

In the spirit of McQueen (and Walenda) I truly feel most alive when I am in my car, at speed, and the time in between is just waiting.
Great close, and agree with you about non-coherent teaching approaches being counterproductive. Most instructors who do this do so because they want to impart greater import to their input and some just don't know, but want to look like they do.

Originally Posted by fhp911
I want to add something to this thread: Good track driving is VERY HARD to do. It takes a lot of all kinds of things -- concentration, technique, overcoming inherent reflexes, processing a tremendous amount of data very quickly, letting go of the last corner and working on the next one, looking ahead AND MUCH MORE.

Take it easy and relax. Don't be too hard on yourself -- and learn to do Purposeful Practice.

Fred
PCA National Certified Instructor
Chin, Nasa, Ferrari, SCDA, HOD instructor
Outstanding observation and terrific advice to do "Purposeful Practice," not just riding around...

My instructor at VIR was saying things like "that was perfect." ...apparently he was wrong?
Courtshark, I look forward to seeing you enjoy VIR. It's a fabulous track, but after close to 8,000 laps on all configurations over the last fourteen years (yes, I drove rental vans on tours on the original track before restoration and repaving began in October of 1999), I can count on one hand how many times I've executed "perfect." And I've won more than 40 races there... It's always disappointing when an instructor has nothing more to tell you or worse yet, doesn't know what perfect is...

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
I tell student, I'm going to force you break a bad habit by doing something wrong. but before the end of the day I going to get you back on proper technique. it usually works.

threshold braking is always at the top on my list... while downshifting.

for instance: -lots of drivers are transmission braking, and changing that can be hard. so you have to try different things to break the habit.

courtshark, you're doing fine. you just need more seat time.
save this video, and look back after 6-8 events... you'll see what we see.
Good post. You can never go wrong with fundamentals. Much of my experience is the same as yours.

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
On another point- It was mentioned in this tread - different instruction from different coaches. Making sure you are practicing and communicating the correct things. "Purposeful Practice" applies to coaches as well. The more the coaches ride together equals consistency in communication and teaching the same basics. Consistent Instruction -a tough goal.
This is a big problem. While I believe that many instructors are just that (and there are damned good ones out there), few instructors are bona fide coaches. But that's another discussion for another day.

The variation comes from the subjective interpretation of a very complex scientific, technical and not entirely unemotional undertaking, conducting a car around the track. There are SO many variables that it can get hazy in a hurry. That's why you need to keep things simple. That's why data is your friend.

EVERY car can be driven quicker, better by someone else, be it Patrick, Joerg, Andrew, Leh or my friend and CI, John Sullivan. The WAY they use the car and how much of the performance envelope they use can be measured. Much of it is confidence, born of experience and knowledge.

The understanding and execution of fundamental skills required to fully exploit the car's capabilities is not only transferable, it's teachable. This is the way to build a firm foundation of skills that can be enhanced in a DE or racing environment. The physics don't know the difference.

There really is a science to this...

No worries, I'm also learning from this exchange.

For the upcoming weekend, I'm planning to suction mount the camera to the rear window which will capture the wheel, shifter and also the road ahead.

Dave
Good plan!

OP here. I was going to let this thread die but I had enough positive comments that I thought I'd give an update.

I attended my first PCA track day on Fri which was held under beautiful conditions at Thunderhill in NorCal. I was in the yellow (beginner) group and had two instructors over the course of the day. As most of you know, PCA runs a first class operation and the instruction was excellent. Also, there were only about a dozen cars in my run group so plenty of open space.

The beauty of the open track was that I could work on threshold braking which was not possible on my last outing due to slow traffic. I also had plenty of room to run at wide open throttle, again, something that I haven't been able to consistently do in the past due to traffic.

As a beginner, I was learning the brake and turn in points and tried to drive smoothly and consistently. One surprise was that my last three laps were all within a 0.23 sec window, ie, slow but consistent

One of the key things I need to work on is looking further up the track.
Dave
Haven't watched the video but congrats. You sound like you're doing well and doing "it" well with a great group of folks! Cheers.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Haven't watched the video but congrats. You sound like you're doing well and doing "it" well with a great group of folks! Cheers.
Anything you can add from watching the video would be appreciated.

My 09 Carrera S is bone stock and I'm running RE 050A's at 34 and 39 psi hot. I know I was too slow through turn 1 but I'm quite fond of my car and did not want to go off. Nonetheless, I was working the speed up throughout the day. The missed shifts were unfortunate but oh well. I should have short shifted 3 > 4 after turn 5 because I quickly hit the rev limit and then shift up for only a few seconds before the brake point and then back to 3rd. I was also too slow through 8 but, as in turn 1, I was working my speed up. I had the most trouble with 10 as the apex is hidden by the crest in the road so it's hard to get the brake point just right. And then there's 11-13 series and 14-15 where I also need to improve.

This was essentially my 3rd track day as the last time out was what triggered this thread and that was a wash (I left early after a number of parade laps).

Lot's to learn and I can't wait to get back up there. Dave
Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Honestly, its really too soon in your driving experience to worry too much about getting critique from video. Listen to your instructors and get seat time. LOTS of seat time.

I am curious about who you ran with and what the experience (other than fewer cars) was like.

Quick Reply: HPDE Experiences