HPDE Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
They can do whatever they want. I have nothing against them. I'm just saying, there is a reason to run with other DE groups. PCA is probably great, but if you have friends with Porsches, or want to run a non-Porsche, at least in the Bay Area, you are out of luck.

If that region of PCA has enough members to fill it's events what else are they supposed to do? Not allow dues paying members in favor of some other guy who will pay for one event? Naturally they are going to service their members first.

We used to be P cars only until the economy went South but if the situation reverses itself I expect we'll go back to Porsches only.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Nearly all of LSR's DE's sell out, even in the upper run groups. We allow non-members in for an additional $50 charge, but we give our membership a 1 week head start on registration. Our beginner groups sell out in minutes.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Local PCA says you have to be a PCA member but you can drive any of your cars at the event - Porsche or not.

Marc
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Potomac lets any make into DE. As said before things went bad Potomac DE events filled up and filled up fast. As Porsche club it was Porsches only in consideration of the club members. All students pay the same $ regardless of the car they drive. Considering that a PCA DE tends to be cheaper than other club or company hosted events the dues paid each year are simply a discount code.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

FWIW, we have many PCA members who own Porsches that for various reasons they choose to not take out on the track. I'm often at our events in my Spec Miata getting seat time in preparation for my next SM race. We have Porsche owners that track Miatas, Corvettes, Mustangs, BRZ's, M3's,...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Solo at your third event? Never should have happened. More like 10 or 20+ events before you should solo.
I solo'd at my first event, on the last run of the second day (8th run of 8), at Watkins Glen with Niagara PCA.

I solo'd at my second event after 4 runs with Zone 2 PCA.

I think the decision whether to be allowed to solo depends on a large number of factors. Is my situation unusual? Sure. But did I display sufficient skills to my instructors to demonstrate that I could handle soloing? Apparently. Do I still want an instructor most of the time? Yep. But soloing is a great learning tool, too.

PS: This event included BMWs, Corvettes, RX7s, a Subaru STi, a Merdeces E63, a Camaro SS, and a few Mustangs. Registration was open to PCA members first for I think two weeks before it opened up to whoever.

My solo run at VIR this past weekend:
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Considering you can't join PCA without owning a Porsche, and you need to be a member to register for an event, yes, there is a rule. For instance, this is straight from the webpage of my local region (GGR)

"GGR offers three distinct types of Porsche-only racetrack events:

Driver Education
Timed Runs
Club Racing
We want to give each participant the chance to get in touch with the high performance side of their car. We emphasize safety and fun."

So, like I said, I'm not super excited about the exclusive nature of PCA. The friends I go to the track with are not Porsche owners.
You are making this far too complicated. Find a guy you know with a Porsche. Ask if they are in PCA, and if not, ask if you can use their VIN. No harm, no foul. At $50 or so a year it's cheap and includes a membership for your spouse. The $50 is recovered at the first DE. At least that's how it works in TX.

I have found the LSR PCA guys to be a great bunch to hang with and I would not be the driver I am today without their help. (And I'm out there in a 14 year old BMW E36).

Hat tip to Globe and VR and the other guys I've scared in the right seat and pestered with questions. It's always responded to by patience and good advice. Heck, even the crappiest instructor I've had taught me something and we didn't get along at all.

-Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

DASAMS,

Got to this a bit late, but I wanted to clarify that poitn by's are required through HPDE 3. Open passing is only allowed in HPDE4. If you see that, or have video of it, please let an instructor or NASA official know. That should not be happening in HPDE 1-2. Trains, and skill disparity is invetible, but there are rules! HPDE 3 is a nice sweet spot once you have a few more track days - less skill disparity, and more exprience in passing. I hope you give it a try again.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtshark
I solo'd at my first event, on the last run of the second day (8th run of 8), at Watkins Glen with Niagara PCA.

There's a difference between solo and uninstructed. Students gets soloed at most events on the second day for a run session or two unless you are a total train wreck. Not all clubs or regions will do that but most I've run/instructed with do.

I think the issue here is he signed up for an uninstructed group for the entire weekend with out enough experience. I wasn't there so I can't speak to the OP's mad skillz.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
There's a difference between solo and uninstructed. Students gets soloed at most events on the second day for a run session or two unless you are a total train wreck. Not all clubs or regions will do that but most I've run/instructed with do.

I think the issue here is he signed up for an uninstructed group for the entire weekend with out enough experience. I wasn't there so I can't speak to the OP's mad skillz.
There's a big difference. Where there is a solo student, there is usually an instructor keeping an eye on him. With rare exceptions, I always ride along on the first and last runs of the day.

With mad skilz, a student might be consciously competent at driving the line after a couple of days but I think that they should be unconsciously competent before they go solo for good. If you are still thinking about your driving then you can't be thinking about what you are going to do if things go bad. Two days just isn't enough.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the decision whether to be allowed to solo depends on a large number of factors. Is my situation unusual? Sure. But did I display sufficient skills to my instructors to demonstrate that I could handle soloing? Apparently. Do I still want an instructor most of the time? Yep. But soloing is a great learning tool, too.

PS: This event included BMWs, Corvettes, RX7s, a Subaru STi, a Merdeces E63, a Camaro SS, and a few Mustangs. Registration was open to PCA members first for I think two weeks before it opened up to whoever.

My solo run at VIR this past weekend:
PCA Zone 2 HPDE VIR March 2013 Day 2 Session 2 pt 1 Porsche 928S4 - YouTube
With all due respect, by looking at your video, I think it would have been more beneficial for you to still have an instructor in the car.....
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My goodness, man, how tall are you? Your knees are halfway up the steering wheel!

If you're not having any trouble reaching the pedals, I would suggest getting your seat farther back and possibly finding a spacer for your steering wheel to bring it closer to you, since it seems as though you're shuffle steering because your knees are in the way. I could be wrong, of course.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Got to this a bit late, but I wanted to clarify that poitn by's are required through HPDE 3. Open passing is only allowed in HPDE4. If you see that, or have video of it, please let an instructor or NASA official know.
The instructors were very clear: Point by's not required in the mixed HPDE 1's and 2's. And yes, I have video but
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,962 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Few thoughts:

1. Many of us with families, businesses, jobs, other responsibilities, etc., are lucky to get to the track 3-5 times a year. If you have to wait 4-5 years to solo there would be a HUGE beginner class. I started to solo in my second year after about 6-7 track days. Depending on where I am driving I don't need an instructor but still pull in the ones that I respect to give me pointers and tune-ups. You should never stop trying to learn. You can also learn by having an instructor follow you or by following an instructor. They don't have to be in your car.

2. My only gripe about some instructors is that they try to change your driving instead of working with your style. One instructor tells you to take an apex at a certain point and the next tells you that is wrong. Some things are fact and some are opinion and feel. There are also variations from how a car handles and the driver's style. A good instructor will recognize all of this and try to enhance and instruct, not change unless something is actually wrong.

3. One of the things I enjoy most about track days is the camaraderie. People think nothing about helping someone who is having a problem. There is a tremendous amount of trust. I've loaned equipment to people who I have never met before and gone out on the track knowing that it would be back at my trailer when I got back. If everyone acted like people at a track day the world would be a better place. Except those guys in Nissan Zs - they are tools both on the track and off.

In the spirit of McQueen (and Walenda) I truly feel most alive when I am in my car, at speed, and the time in between is just waiting.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Few thoughts:

1. Many of us with families, businesses, jobs, other responsibilities, etc., are lucky to get to the track 3-5 times a year. If you have to wait 4-5 years to solo there would be a HUGE beginner class. I started to solo in my second year after about 6-7 track days. Depending on where I am driving I don't need an instructor but still pull in the ones that I respect to give me pointers and tune-ups. You should never stop trying to learn. You can also learn by having an instructor follow you or by following an instructor. They don't have to be in your car.

2. My only gripe about some instructors is that they try to change your driving instead of working with your style. One instructor tells you to take an apex at a certain point and the next tells you that is wrong. Some things are fact and some are opinion and feel. There are also variations from how a car handles and the driver's style. A good instructor will recognize all of this and try to enhance and instruct, not change unless something is actually wrong.

3. One of the things I enjoy most about track days is the camaraderie. People think nothing about helping someone who is having a problem. There is a tremendous amount of trust. I've loaned equipment to people who I have never met before and gone out on the track knowing that it would be back at my trailer when I got back. If everyone acted like people at a track day the world would be a better place. Except those guys in Nissan Zs - they are tools both on the track and off.

In the spirit of McQueen (and Walenda) I truly feel most alive when I am in my car, at speed, and the time in between is just waiting.

So true!!!

Quick Reply: HPDE Experiences