Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Another thing that doesn't seem to be getting much attention is that some people aren't as enthusiastic about the PCA. It's an exclusive club, and many of us like to drive non-Porsches or go to the track with friends who don't race Porsches. I much prefer the BMWCCA's inclusive approach. I wish I could make this year's event at Laguna Seca, but I hear it's a great few days with excellent instruction, no matter what car you drive.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'll find you 2.5 seconds if you just promise to stay away from me.
I couldn't possibly do that, Herr Globe.

I like gin!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Another thing that doesn't seem to be getting much attention is that some people aren't as enthusiastic about the PCA. It's an exclusive club, and many of us like to drive non-Porsches or go to the track with friends who don't race Porsches. I much prefer the BMWCCA's inclusive approach. I wish I could make this year's event at Laguna Seca, but I hear it's a great few days with excellent instruction, no matter what car you drive.
There are plenty of non-Porsche makes at PCA track days that I attend: that includes events in Texas and Alabama. Is there a rule in other regions that you must have a Porsche to participate?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by zweebach
There are plenty of non-Porsche makes at PCA track days that I attend: that includes events in Texas and Alabama. Is there a rule in other regions that you must have a Porsche to participate?
I think some regions may require that people drive Porsches at their DE's. We at LSR do not, and many other regions don't either. We have a LOT of Miatas, BMW's, Corvettes, ... at our events. I would hardly consider our group an exclusive one here in Texas. Hell, we let VR in.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zweebach
Considering you can't join PCA without owning a Porsche, and you need to be a member to register for an event, yes, there is a rule. For instance, this is straight from the webpage of my local region (GGR)

"GGR offers three distinct types of Porsche-only racetrack events:

Driver Education
Timed Runs
Club Racing
We want to give each participant the chance to get in touch with the high performance side of their car. We emphasize safety and fun."

So, like I said, I'm not super excited about the exclusive nature of PCA. The friends I go to the track with are not Porsche owners.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I think some regions may require that people drive Porsches at their DE's. We at LSR do not, and many other regions don't either. We have a LOT of Miatas, BMW's, Corvettes, ... at our events. I would hardly consider our group an exclusive one here in Texas. Hell, we let VR in.
Yes, and believe it or not, I am also a PCA member, Have been since 2006. Don't own a Porsche, however...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my first PCA DE in an Acura and my second in a BMW. Every PCA DE I've ever registered for has a slightly cheaper price for a PCA member, but it wasn't a requirement to enter a DE.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, and believe it or not, I am also a PCA member, Have been since 2006. Don't own a Porsche, however...
That's off topic, but how did you join without a vin. The PCA's snobbery doesn't even end there. For those of you who want to join, but don't own one, you can join the PCA Quest program. BUT, only do this if you're seriously considering buying a porsche, and soon. That's because the Quest program is twice the cost of a membership for half the time, and basically none of the the benefits. Sounds like a great deal, right?

"Although membership in PCA requires ownership/lease of a Porsche or that you be in a Porsche-related business, we do offer something for those of you actively trying to become Porsche owners."

So, maybe some regions are a bit friendlier, but I'd say the national org and the region this topic was started in, are not. So, if there are other suggestions for groups to run DE's with other than NASA and PCA, I think we'd all like to know. I agreed with the OP's concerns about NASA. I'll give them one more shot because I really liked the people there. I'm also going to running with NorCal racing, which seems to run a pretty nice group as well.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I didn't say I didn't have a VIN. All I said was that I don't own a Porsche.

And IMO it is not snobbery. After all, it IS called the "Porsche Club"...

As a private club, they can admit anyone they see fit. if it's only people who can produce a Porsche VIN, so what?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

That's off topic, but how did you join without a vin. The PCA's snobbery doesn't even end there. For those of you who want to join, but don't own one, you can join the PCA Quest program. BUT, only do this if you're seriously considering buying a porsche, and soon. That's because the Quest program is twice the cost of a membership for half the time, and basically none of the the benefits. Sounds like a great deal, right?

"Although membership in PCA requires ownership/lease of a Porsche or that you be in a Porsche-related business, we do offer something for those of you actively trying to become Porsche owners."

So, maybe some regions are a bit friendlier, but I'd say the national org and the region this topic was started in, are not. So, if there are other suggestions for groups to run DE's with other than NASA and PCA, I think we'd all like to know. I agreed with the OP's concerns about NASA. I'll give them one more shot because I really liked the people there. I'm also going to running with NorCal racing, which seems to run a pretty nice group as well.

p.s. I love that they won't even let you switch to full member if you find a car during that time. You need to buy in again.

"PCA Quest is $40 for a one-time, six-month subscription (non-renewable). The fee is non-refundable and cannot be applied toward a membership in whole or in part should you acquire a Porsche and join PCA prior to the expiration of the 6-month subscription."
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Considering you can't join PCA without owning a Porsche, and you need to be a member to register for an event, yes, there is a rule. For instance, this is straight from the webpage of my local region (GGR)

"GGR offers three distinct types of Porsche-only racetrack events:

Driver Education
Timed Runs
Club Racing
We want to give each participant the chance to get in touch with the high performance side of their car. We emphasize safety and fun."

So, like I said, I'm not super excited about the exclusive nature of PCA. The friends I go to the track with are not Porsche owners.
That may be the case, but my region as well allows others it seems allow different makes. Hell at the last event we had Lamborghinis, Vipers, a Pantera, Corvettes, BRZs, etc. to name a few. Being make exclusive is probably costing said region good pr and $$$.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I didn't say I didn't have a VIN. All I said was that I don't own a Porsche.

And IMO it is not snobbery. After all, it IS called the "Porsche Club"...

As a private club, they can admit anyone they see fit. if it's only people who can produce a Porsche VIN, so what?
They can do whatever they want. I have nothing against them. I'm just saying, there is a reason to run with other DE groups. PCA is probably great, but if you have friends with Porsches, or want to run a non-Porsche, at least in the Bay Area, you are out of luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sounds more like a Bay Area problem than a PCA issue.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

It's the skills ! To edit. Many regions allow non Porsche vehicles. It may come down to attitude and appoach to driving.

Quick Reply: HPDE Experiences