Sponsored by:

Sebring updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Mixed feelings for me about this weekend. I did better than I could have hoped learning a new and extremely challenging track and keeping within a few tenths of Yonker for most of the weekend. I made one major error (sorry to whoever it was)... never having been to sebring before, dove into the pits and almost took out a car trying to pass on the inside... just plain didn't see him there. He made one helluva move to get by and avoid contact...

Drove a nice race on Saturday morning and finished only a few tenths behind yonker for 2nd place in GT4S and 4th overall in the green sprint. However, suffered a major mechanical failure 3/4 of the way around on the cooldown lap that ended my weekend early.

Hats off to Dan Yonker and the Dawe team. Dan faced some major demons after his mid ohio wreck. This was his first event back in the seat and he pulled off a stellar performance. He won both sprints (kicked my **** soundly) and crushed his old lap record by 1 full second during the enduro. He was leading overall in the enduro (having lapped most of the field) only to run out of fuel with 4 min left. This was somewhat unavoidable, as his fuel cell (repurposed from the old 911) was too small and the new engine was consuming more fuel than anticipated for a 90 min race. He was 2 gal shy of finishing first (although a GT4R car was closing in and it could have been a very exciting finish).

Dawe built a new car for DAn from the ground up in less than 2 months, and showed up at sebring without ever having run the car on track before. The car is a beast and performed flawlessly for four rough days. Guess I'll resign myself to "also ran" for the rest of the season (that is if I can afford to continue playing this game).
Ninja Bones, a.k.a.Crawford -

Thank you for the kind words, but you are a bit humble. You performed exceptionally well, and were only .2 seconds off my **** in both the 1st and 2nd Sprints......not shabby at all for a first-timer at Sebring. In fact, I'd say it is downright awesome. This was my 3rd time at Sebring, so actually you have progressed much quicker than I did. But then again, I didn't have i-racing. I'm glad you were not arround to challenge me in the enduro because I likely would have folded with your menacing 993 in my mirror. I do hope you are able to get your car in order for LRP.

Anyway, BIG HATS OFF TO DAWES MOTORSPORTS. Peter, Kevin and Trevor Dawe built me a car, from the ground up, in about 2 months time. Fortunately it was not Peter's first rodeo and it really showed. Peter kept saying we gotta "build a better mousetrap than the next guy", and by gosh if he didn't do it. I sheeeet you not when I say the car performed flawlessly, which is astounding considering there was no prior shake down period (oh yea, it rained the first session on Thursday, so I didn't go out until the second session on Thursday). The 3.4 L is a typical Dawe monster, the short ratio 6 speed is crazy smooth and perfect for almost any track, the one-off electrical system (compliments of Kevin) is a work of art, and the list goes on.....Also, the chassis set up was amazing. Peter kept asking "how is the car, what do we need to do?". All I could reply was that it is great, neutral, no complaints. Eventually I softened the front bar one notch and stiffened the dampers 2 notches, which was good enough for a new class lap record. Better yet, we still have some development to do and over 90 lbs. to get out of the car, so it should only get better.

Really sorry that the start of the cup car enduro ended up the way it did. Y'all will remember my mishap at mid-ohio last year, where I was a victim of other peoples errors......unfortunate but a part of racing. So to say I empathize with the victims is an understatement. There are a lot of good suggestions in the preceding thread; I can only hope people take them to hart.
Attached Images  

Last edited by danielyonker; 02-06-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Results on mylaps.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

E class racer. Never been to Sebring.

That red sprint 1 start was a mess. I think part of the problem resides with the Starter and the pole sitter. The RSR grided in 13th and from his in-car camera, it was a completely unorganized starting grid. When he comes around last corner, he's at mid-speed, not a slow pace speed. Just not organized and it allows cars in the rear to get a run and that forms a wide crowd going into T1.

Hindsight's 20/20, but maybe the Starter shouldn't have thrown the Green.

Compare the starting formation for Sebring vs the Daytona 24hr:

And I agree with comments about the Practice Starts/Fun Race. If possible, I always do the Fun Race. I like to practice starts from both the left and right sides. I want to see and understand the sight lines from each lane, see how the cars bunch into T1 and see where the traffic goes single file. Plus it gets me in the right frame of mind for the real starts on Raceday.

I compared the Red Qualifying against the Red Fun Race. Of drivers Q1 to Q10, only 3 did the Fun Race. In Q11 to Q20, 5 more. So for 12 of the first 20 starters, the Sprint 1 start was their first start in 3... 4.... 5.... months??

Sadly the other groups weren't great either:

Orange: 49 Started Fun Race, 72 Qualified
Green: 38 Started Fun Race, 71 Qualified
Red: 42 Started Fun Race, 75 Qualifed
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
And I agree with comments about the Practice Starts/Fun Race. If possible, I always do the Fun Race.
I agree with you about doing the practice starts as part of my preparation and planning for the race, even though it increases your overall risk of an incident during the weekend. I think that may be why many don't do them, but perhaps they should be mandatory unless you have a mechanical or some other issue. If only half the field grids for the practice starts, then any rookies required to be there are really not getting a true picture of what the race starts are going to look like and what the drivers who will actually be around them might do.

Remind me what car you race.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While it's hard to disagree with mandatory practice starts/fun races, this adds cost, or another heat cycle to tires.

On a competitive weekend, I can promise I would avoid the practice to save tires.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do think many people skip the practice race for 'safety' reasons, but that's the point here isn't it? We want all starts to be safe and not viewed as an accident waiting to happen, pardon the pun. I think more starts = more safety.

As far as tires, quali is the next morning, so go out and burn your old tires up before you put on the stickers. If you are worried about cycles then skip session 3
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
I do think many people skip the practice race for 'safety' reasons, but that's the point here isn't it? We want all starts to be safe and not viewed as an accident waiting to happen, pardon the pun. I think more starts = more safety.

As far as tires, quali is the next morning, so go out and burn your old tires up before you put on the stickers. If you are worried about cycles then skip session 3
I'll play devil's advocate.

Why should I be forced on to the track at any point? Why should I be asked to drive laps around on old tires? Or burn 10$/gal fuel if I don't want to?

If the point of this exercise is to mitigate the damage caused by (you fill in the blanks) during starts and (again, fill in the blanks), because of (get the idea?), then why should the Club Racing structure be altered in a way which affects everybody?

Curious...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

First off, I'm fine with the current approach and mentioned I don't like things that fundamentally alter the race, like single file starts or split grids.

The idea I threw out was to require practice starts in your first race of the year, not all races. This is a consistent with getting a new license, as it is the one time you are required to be on the track in today's setup.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
I do think many people skip the practice race for 'safety' reasons, but that's the point here isn't it?
Yes I often skip the fun race if I'm not on the front row. Or I will start from WAY BACK behind the last car if I need some more track time. If we needed to do the practice starts, I think people would be more careful, and it may extend to the actual race... certainly it would give EVERYONE more experience going into the first turns in heavy traffic.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Though I don't like the risk or wear and tear, I have clearly noticed that as a guy who does not race every week, the practice starts are a great way to exorcise the adrenaline(red mist), tension and anxiety. Clearly allows me to approach the "real thing" more calmly and in control. Now of course some of us are just oh so proficient that that wouldn't apply, but for us mere mortals......
Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry guys but if you are concerned with wear and tear, dont come to the track. I do the fun race because it is track time and an opportunity to drive the track more and improve.

Getting to know your competitors is very important especially if you are concerned about the "tear" part.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Sorry, Juan. But not everyone has deep pockets........

Scott
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Come on Scott.

Once you have left work and family, transported the car, paid fees, hotel, etc. you want to make the most out of it.

Its like buying a Porsche and not driving it the way it was meant. Me, i drive mine hard, ride my bike hard, play my stereo loud, etc. why buy it then, to pose?

I'm sure you built that beastly looking yellow car to drive it hard. Enjoy your hard work.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Come on Scott.

Once you have left work and family, transported the car, paid fees, hotel, etc. you want to make the most out of it.

Its like buying a Porsche and not driving it the way it was meant. Me, i drive mine hard, ride my bike hard, play my stereo loud, etc. why buy it then, to pose?

I'm sure you built that beastly looking yellow car to drive it hard. Enjoy your hard work.
I did build that car to drive it. But that doesn't mean I have the funds to drive any time and anywhere I want. Tires are expensive. 110 octane gas is expensive. I have to pick and choose when and where I run. I would skip practice race starts. I might skip some "fun" races too if funds were really tight or I had a limited supply of tires.

Some guys have the funds to drive whenever and wherever they want. That's great. I am happy for them. Others have budgets they have to adhere to that sometimes get reduced. You should respect that too....

Scott
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

I understand that. BTW, i don't see where or when i disrespected that.

Quick Reply: Sebring updates