Sponsored by:

Sebring updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Man......before the green flag even drops, at about 48 seconds, the orange car gets right up next to the car on the inside....looks like within a foot.....why would you do that? Is there an upside to this of which I am unaware, except to perhaps intimidate someone? This same orange car is the one that has contact in T1, but this time the other car (to the right) is right up next to the orange car's passenger door. He HAS to know how close he is, no?? There was plenty of room to the outside of the track to avoid the contact, or so it appears.....I don't get it......
Shaking my head too.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry, nice video and nice driving, or should I say nice braking!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
A bit late to party here, here is a Vid of 1st lap night race with wreck, ( i picked wrong line... again) /then both starts and a bit of (stroking ) for my self passing cars as i qualified horribly for the 1st red race And yes "SoClose" i had to delete Your repass as it does not look good in my perpertual quest of any sponsorship $$... Fun racing with you though.. they way it should be.

My .02 on race, its all been covered here, but why the heck does sebring only have ONE! flat bed struck for our race??? WE went around and around and around so many times, and nothing moved! Rant over, heres the vid.
Nice vid, although the map of Road America has me confused.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Shaking my head too.
Make that three.

To a point made in the previous page..."But its cup car racing. stuff happens."...

It's NOT Cup car racing, it's PCA Club Racing dammit. "Stuff" like this should not be happening.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

ahhh... thats not Sebring... Hmm, but my shift points were all good... i dont understand....

i guess for the astute few out there, do you need a job here in the great cold north?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Make that three.

To a point made in the previous page..."But its cup car racing. stuff happens."...

It's NOT Cup car racing, it's PCA Club Racing dammit. "Stuff" like this should not be happening.
+1
Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

This may be a little too gentlemanly for some of you guys, but here is some text from the Porsche Racing Club Rule Book:

II. Race Start Conduct

The start of the race is one of the most critically dangerous periods of the race. We have our grid full of cars in close proximity, lined up in a speed order that is never totally representative of the straight-line performance that can be decisive in the drag race away from the green flag.

We are not racing a grid full of equal cars, or cars with similar acceleration potential. As a result, our starts are even more dangerous and require higher levels of concentration and respect between the drivers. Our green flag start will be conducted in rows, 2 x 2, with a minimum of one car length between rows. The pole sitter should have completed the latter portion of the pace lap at a speed that allows the grid to form behind them.

The pole sitter will bring the field to the green flag at approximately 65mph.

Once the field is shown the green flag, racing commences for all cars through the field and safe overtaking can occur prior to the start line, by cars deeper in the field. We will be observing cars throughout the grid and looking for drivers who lag-back in an effort to get a run at the start.

Particularly those offenders who seek to run 3 wide in opportunist passes on the way to the first corner - we are not looking for our race victor from the start straight or first corner.

In an effort to maintain safety we will limit the cars to 2 wide on the start straight and through the first corner - once again; we are not looking for our race victor from the start straight or first corner.

That last paragraph is what keeps things relatively sane. Some might find it overly restrictive, but it works.

Scott
Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
This may be a little too gentlemanly for some of you guys, but here is some text from the Porsche Racing Club Rule Book:

II. Race Start Conduct

The start of the race is one of the most critically dangerous periods of the race. We have our grid full of cars in close proximity, lined up in a speed order that is never totally representative of the straight-line performance that can be decisive in the drag race away from the green flag.

We are not racing a grid full of equal cars, or cars with similar acceleration potential. As a result, our starts are even more dangerous and require higher levels of concentration and respect between the drivers. Our green flag start will be conducted in rows, 2 x 2, with a minimum of one car length between rows. The pole sitter should have completed the latter portion of the pace lap at a speed that allows the grid to form behind them.

The pole sitter will bring the field to the green flag at approximately 65mph.

Once the field is shown the green flag, racing commences for all cars through the field and safe overtaking can occur prior to the start line, by cars deeper in the field. We will be observing cars throughout the grid and looking for drivers who lag-back in an effort to get a run at the start.

Particularly those offenders who seek to run 3 wide in opportunist passes on the way to the first corner - we are not looking for our race victor from the start straight or first corner.

In an effort to maintain safety we will limit the cars to 2 wide on the start straight and through the first corner - once again; we are not looking for our race victor from the start straight or first corner.

That last paragraph is what keeps things relatively sane. Some might find it overly restrictive, but it works.

Scott
Sorry, but I can't help myself. Do you have to give point by's too?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

I was with you until the 3 wide/2 wide rules

A good, tight formation at the start is important and was not enforced at Sebring. The starter should be willing to wave off the group if the cars are not lined up well. Everyone would be motivated to line up properly if the time or lap count starts on the first pass of the S/F line.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Sorry, but I can't help myself. Do you have to give point by's too?
Don't be an ***.....

Scott
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by MarkM
Well, if the PRC start rules were in place, how much carnage at Sebring could have been avoided? Again, we are talking Club Racing here. The Spec 911 class that the PRC runs has phenomenal racing with very little carnage.

As someone coming from motorcycle road racing with standing starts, large grids, and 20 plus bikes all going fro the same piece of real estate, the PRC rules seemed a little restrictive to me too. But, after watching a bunch of PRC races and participating in several, I have come around and appreciate the sanity. Yes, it is hard to make up much ground on the start, but I don't here a lot of talk about having to re-tub $150,000 race cars either.

Scott
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM

A good, tight formation at the start is important and was not enforced at Sebring. The starter should be willing to wave off the group if the cars are not lined up well. Everyone would be motivated to line up properly if the time or lap count starts on the first pass of the S/F line.
Yes, PCA throws the green way too often. Cars were all messed up before the green was thrown. SCCA would have waved it off.

We had a really bad start at one PCA Lime Rock race, with the pole car going down the last turn flat out until he caught the pace car and had to nearly lock up the brakes. I was still trying to catch him when he slowed unexpectedly, and I could not slow down quite that much. But I saw the green come out and gunned it. In SCCA that would have meant I was ok, but in PCA I got penalized for jumping the start...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Scott,

We have phenomenal racing in PCA at most races with out this 2 wide rule.

Sebring is an outlier for the multitude of reasons we have all beaten to death here . It is not a fundamental racing issue.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about we give each other some racing room?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,348 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by al@cpt
How about we give each other some racing room?
That's all it takes...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Sebring updates