Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The PCA licensing system, along with it's rookie weekend/introduction period, is designed to smooth the transition from advanced driver to "club racer". I'll never forget being asked to treat the guy in the car next to me as one with whom I trailered up with, one with whom I was going to have beers and dinner, or one with whom I just spent all night repairing a suspension.

Time and time again, here in this forum, posters imply that something is going wrong in the "red" group; a few have suggested that perhaps attitude suffers, that the red mist may grow a bit thick, that the cars are too fast, that licenses might be handed out a bit too easily or any number of factors play a role in a growing number of incidents.

I wonder how this could be resolved.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kai,

What is a vindaloo?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nevermind.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tim Webb
Kai,

What is a vindaloo?
Something like a 2:18.5 in my car at Sebring, only served with rice!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,868 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Something like a 2:18.5 in my car at Sebring, only served with rice!!!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 PM
nmercier853
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really feel bad for Alex being 2 cars in 2 yrs and I understand his thoughts on Sebring. I really like the idea of having to get out an meet the guy next to me. It might change the thoughts of "going for it" when those types of moves are not needed.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
HEY you fart, you're the one who has to get me to 2:20!!! I know the car can.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KaiB
HEY you fart, you're the one who has to get me to 2:20!!! I know the car can.
I am absolutely sure I can do that.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nmercier853
I really feel bad for Alex being 2 cars in 2 yrs and I understand his thoughts on Sebring. I really like the idea of having to get out an meet the guy next to me. It might change the thoughts of "going for it" when those types of moves are not needed.
Agreed. Someone should touch base with Bryan or Vickie and see what can be done. Easy to integrate if it's important. I think we all agree that it is and it works.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

How about a split start? That way the organizers don't have to add a run group and the T1 carnage won't effect other classes hopefully.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
coinboy
Racer

[quote=M_Weining;10201940]
Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport

I'd propose what's been said up here. Require drivers to the grid another 5 minutes earlier and everyone has to exit the car for 2 minutes. /QUOTE]
+100 I think this a great idea! I am going to start doing this at all PCA races. I have many times called over a grid worker to go and tell another driver for me something, but it would be 100 times better to walk over meet, talk to the guys racing around me myself.
How many times have we all walked around the paddock looking to talk with another driver and not found them.
Love the grid idea.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The restarts appeared to be relatively trouble free. A single file start with big fields may greatly reduce the carnage.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DDun911
The restarts appeared to be relatively trouble free. A single file start with big fields may greatly reduce the carnage.
Nice idea but at Sebring when the first car takes the green the last car will be at turn 16.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Someone once said, cold tires and hot brains are not a good combination. If you are not on the first row, let them sort themselves out and get them coming out of T5. They will kill momentum trying to go 4 wide through T1.

My teacher at Skippy School. A certain fellow called Mr. Elford ....
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Every event has its own personality. Some are laid back and feel like a bunch of locals getting together for an annual BBQ. Others, and Sebring in particular, are intense from flag to flag. This sets the tone for the weekend and is an indicator of the amount of carnage we see.

Others have noted that Sebring has additional factors that amplify the anxiety: it's a fast track, first race of the year, new cars, new racers, on and on. Given this I think Sebring will always have more incidents than other races.

As far as the solutions like single file, split starts, and others, these are band-aides and don't address the real issue. They may minimize the impact for when things do happen, but they water down the experience when they don't.

In reality it comes down to getting the drivers' attention and having them take it seriously. A lecture at a lunch meeting isn't effective. Spending focused time with the other drivers on and off track can help drive these issues home. Here are a couple of ideas that can get the drivers more engaged without sacrificing the racing.

First, we could require everyone to take the practice starts at their first race of the year. This could knock the rust off, and give a preview of how folks will respond in the real race. This is something you don't experience enough. We practice the proper line endlessly, but rarely practice starts.

Second, meeting the drivers without helmets as already mentioned. Close the grid 10 minutes before the start of the race, have a 5 minute meeting behind the pace car, and let everyone go to their cars at the 5 minute warning.

Just a couple of crazy ideas...

Quick Reply: Sebring updates