Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 66 Posts

On a lighter side, we had a great weekend. There was definitely some questionable driving but it seemed like everyone had it figured out by Saturday afternoon. I had a good race in the first sprint with Klaus in his awesome GT3R. Ran both enduro's on Sunday. The first with my friend Jimmy Martin in his H class caymen and the second with Mac McGehee in the Muehlner Motorsports grand-am cup I drove in the sprints. Had a killer run going in the caymen (2nd overall) until it cracked a header. We think the O2 started sucking fresh air and the ecu saw a massive lean condition and went full rich. The car used WAY more fuel than it should and it ran out. Had to make a last lap splash which dropped us to 4th in H and 7th overall. Mac started in the GT enduro and ran great in the top 7-10. I jumped in and tried to run the leader back down. Went from a 40 second gap down to 3 on the last lap but just ran out of time. Finished 2nd overall (1st in class). It was a lot of fun. Very sorry again for those that had incidents.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,785 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
you could see this coming over the last 3 years. PCA club racing ought to seriously re-think Sebring and how to minimize this.
+1

Great track and great event but I pusposely declined attending because of its reputation for crashes. Hope they find a solution to minimize the carnage.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cory, I was wondering what happened in the enduro, you set some killer lap times but ended up lower than expected.

I tried to hold Jimmy off for the first 10 or 12 laps, but burnt up my tires doing so. I have a lot of video with a pesky white car in the mirrors.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Fun times. Had a mixed weekend. Barely finished building a new H class car the night before it was to be transported. Spent the weekend sortin it out. Only got in a few practice laps, and missed qualifying as we tweaked things. Had major brake issues all weekend (the dreaded "ice mode" where the pedal goes hard and loses braking capability). Learned to drive with the issue by the end of the weekend, but was giving up at least 1-2 seconds a lap because of it. Still need to sort it out. Started DFL for first race, and moved up about 1/2 the H field. 2nd Race lost a position to Mark, but got one back from TJ. Enduro went well. With about 15 minutes left, I took P2 in Class when Greg spun out in front of me in T17. Then with a lap left passed the leader for P1 (P2 overall).

Originally Posted by coryf
Had a killer run going in the caymen (2nd overall) until it cracked a header. We think the O2 started sucking fresh air and the ecu saw a massive lean condition and went full rich. The car used WAY more fuel than it should and it ran out. Had to make a last lap splash which dropped us to 4th in H and 7th overall.
I was wondering what happened. You had a 30+ second lead on me. Next thing I know with a lap and a half left I caught you moving slowly thru Bishop.

Originally Posted by MarkM
I tried to hold Jimmy off for the first 10 or 12 laps, but burnt up my tires doing so.
I was right behind the both of you as you battled it out. Figured I just hold back and watch (your tires go), as it was still early

Last edited by rmag; 02-05-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Ryan, you must have been in Ice mode when you dove in on me in 16, you came flying by. Tried the over/under but your car has some real grunt I couldn't match. I would have never let Jimmy through that easily.

What was that thing hanging out of the engine compartment on the grid?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 796 Posts

Holy cow! yet another Lap 1 Turn 1 shemozzle. Pathetic.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
Ryan, you must have been in Ice mode when you dove in on me in 16, you came flying by. Tried the over/under but your car has some real grunt I couldn't match. I would have never let Jimmy through that easily.

What was that thing hanging out of the engine compartment on the grid?
Yep, ice mode, but that was one of the safer places for me to pass, because if I couldn't stop, plenty of room to go off. But I'm glad you didn't squeeze me there! You played traffic very well on Jimmy and I. I'd just watch you set us up with a slow car, where you got by, and left us stuck behind them in the corner. Must have done that to us 4 times in a span of 10 minutes!

It was an o2 sensor hanging down. Shop extended them out a bit off the exhaust since I'm not running cats, but didn't brace the extension tube. Snapped the bungs off the exhaust, so it was just dragging. I zoomed thru the paddock (didnt want to, but also didnt want to start DFL again). Made it back just in time. Actually they were kind to me. When I got back on grid, the 2 min was being waived (supposed to have closed at 5min). Fun running with you guys. Hopefully get the brakes sorted out by next race.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

One of the most exciting things for me is to see marvelous, wonderful and rare cars like the ex-FL RSR and whatever Alex brings. Really disappointed to see my friend and colleague Chris Musante crashed out...

VERY sad to see that damage and, frankly, the lack of respect and care that some competitors were demonstrating throughout what is already known to be a crowded weekend on a not particularly forgiving course. I do think historics are a worthy alternative for folks concerned about others shutting their brains off.

Also, important to remember that many of these cars ran under the ministrations of serious, knowledgeable crews. If in fact it was a brake bias issue that contributed to the white/blue car's instability that caused all this, than perhaps this was an avoidable oversight.

I do think, however, that it's always the "loose nut behind the wheel" that bears ultimate responsibility for what happens to them and the cars around them. The sanctioning body needs to instill a sense of accountability so that drivers do think before they do...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

That was Ryans 02 sensor, he came flying back over and screamed...ran over and we got it off quick enough for him to get back to grid thankfully...he drove the wheels off that thing.

Wish my weekend went better...spent the entire time chasing and issue....not sure what it is yet, first the DME took a crap on me and had random misfires like i was starving for fuel, power was down but i can deal with that...friends ecu it ran fine....got a new one....car got a new misfire in high revs....changed fuel pumps (thank yuo brent), and anything else we could think of to try and fix it....nothing worked
so i went out several times hoping the fix did it and ended up not even completing the warm up lap.

Got some of the first sprint in but i started to get worried as the misfire was getting worse and worse...so i came in...somehow got my best laptime eventhough i thought the car felt like it was running slow and misfiring about 4500 and above...

Hard to sit and watch the races but was glad to see some good driving out there.....got to meet some new drivers (well most are well known) in the impound area with the expected opening race scruiting after qualifying (only did 5 laps but qualified 4th in class i think)

Sorry to hear about all the carnage....

the test and tune on thursday was more like a cayman race....give a point by to one and next thing you know 3 are divebombing you where only two cars fit....was forced to an almost stop sever times....seems the red mist was thick.....Cayman prices went up i think...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcongleton
Juan a 2:25 is a great lap, love your quick downshift into T-16, then power down

Paul I spoke to Bryan after the Red group meeting. He said he did not want the GT-3 guys in with the cups however due to car counts they had to keep us in Red. I was a little luckier this year with the crazy antics because I could only run an 18 with a borrowed Supercup box. That kept me with mainly 996's and 2 997's. I was far enough behind you I did not have to run with the guys you did and I am glad I didn't. Not sure I would run next year if I was in the Cup group, I would not doubt if Wright Motorsports does not attend at all next year which is kind of sad. WM used to have 8 cars which over the past 3 years has gone down to 4 with one of the 4 saying he won't be back next year.

It was good to see you and Kim, sorry about her issue with her car.

Mark
Good speaking with you Mark, and nice to meet Juan. Wanted to meet a few more RL's but as ususal ran out of time.
With another engine lost, we've discussed building for the GT4 class with hope to remain out of that Cup car group, and perhaps help to populate a GT class with several other cars- I appears that GT3 is becoming a ghost town. The real concern there is that with the Cayman class growing so quickly, GT 4 will be pushed up to the Cup car group anyway.
Hopefully we as a club can get a handle on this carnage and brain dead driving.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Alex, I feel the same way, I was not sad that my car was not ready for Sebring. Even without carnage to your own car, the lack of track time due to crashes makes it worth skipping. Everyone is like a rookie at the first race of the year and it gets ugly out there...

So sorry to see another of your gorgeous cars damaged, ALMS is looking better all the time.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The previous subtle implications being (correctly, I believe) money buys speed, I have to give a shout to Klaus' brother, Kyosti...in the ex FL RSR.

In his first kerfufle in a tremendous car, I'm proud of him. He laid back, drove within his limits and did everything correctly. I'm sure it's tremendously tempting to push a car that capable; it requires common sense to do the right thing.

Good for you Kyosti!!!

Last edited by KaiB; 02-05-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
mcongleton
Racer

Alex

I could not believe my eyes when I saw your RSR was off in turn 1, I really made me mad. I think we all agree that if PCA does not take agressive action against the drivers who are causing the problems there will be little reason to risk our cars running their events.

AnalogMike - Not sure this is a "first race of the year" issue. I was chopped and almost driven off track by a 997 Cup driven by an experienced driver who ran the week prior in the Conti race at Daytona. Going into Tower I pointed him by, even went as far as lifting a bit to help him at turn in and he almost hits me chopping my nose.

Peter I agree, for me Historics is where I will run my car, to much to risk driving with PCA.

Mark
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winders
It looks like the white car blew it braking too hard too soon. No other car did anything to cause the white to lose it.
From what I see in the video, it looks like the driver didn't release the clutch immediately on the downshift and locked the rear wheels when he finally did as the engine revs were already too low. Braking too hard should have locked the front wheels.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Braking too hard should have locked the front wheels.
Should have... The data could tell you.

Of course, all the late Cup cars with MoTeC dash can set light alarms for wheel speeds that drop below the median for all four. One of the best ways to train and refine set-up on a bumpy place like Sebring on a car w/o motorsports ABS.

Quick Reply: Sebring updates