Sponsored by:

Sebring updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I understand that. BTW, i don't see where or when i disrespected that.
"Sorry guys but if you are concerned with wear and tear, dont come to the track."
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

And we're off...
Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Scott, that's cool. Not trying to upset anyone. Racing, driving, walking, drinking, living, dating, etc it all involves wear and tear.

I think its cool you want to keep things civil. I can respect that.

I see the rabbit hole and I'm not venturing any closer.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

It's not a rabbit hole. Just respect the fact that not everyone has the funds to do what you think they should do. You didn't do that with your comment. You basically said if you can't or don't want to spend the cash (to pay for wear and tear) to run all the sessions all the time, don't come out. That's not right and certainly not your call.

Scott
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need a drink....
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
It's not a rabbit hole. Just respect the fact that not everyone has the funds to do what you think they should do. You didn't do that with your comment. You basically said if you can't or don't want to spend the cash (to pay for wear and tear) to run all the sessions all the time, don't come out. That's not right and certainly not your call.

Scott
I respect the right to sit on the sidelines but surely the cost of an extra session or two is insignificant to the total spent to be there in the first place? I estimate a Sebring weekend costs me $3k total and a session costs a few hundred in tires, gas and wear. So cost as a reason to sit out sessions does not make sense to me.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting thread, with a lot of valid points.

I've taken the last couple of years off because business has been slow, and I shudder at the thought of a six-figure ball of metal and carbon fiber. From what I've read, the guys posting here are not the problem. I've been on track with several of you and while the racing is close, it's always been fair, fun, and clean. From my very limited perspective, the big issues seems to be too many guys out there that can write a big check to go racing. Too often, egos are inflated by bank accounts. These guys feel that since they've been successful, and they can afford a Cup/RSR/whatever, then they should naturally be in front, right? Some of the guys are the same ones who complained about their 996 Turbos getting passed by 944's in DE's. Sound familiar?

Unfortunately, PCA cannot afford to properly train these guys to come up the ladder, and they shouldn't have to.

On a side note, great to see Daniel Yonker out with a new whip. That video from Mid-Ohio was gut wrenching!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,128 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I understand that. BTW, i don't see where or when i disrespected that.
+1

Scott, everyone does the best they can.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,128 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin

I've taken the last couple of years off because business has been slow, and I shudder at the thought of a six-figure ball of metal and carbon fiber. From what I've read, the guys posting here are not the problem.

On a side note, great to see Daniel Yonker out with a new whip. That video from Mid-Ohio was gut wrenching!
Agreed. Nobody here is the issue. But it pains me so much to hear Chris say, "not sure I can afford (the exposure to risk) to run my car..." Talent rarely correlates with resources, as we all know.

Glad to see Yonker back in the saddle!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Remind me what car you race.
I'm the one that did NOT hit you at Mid-Ohio.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally see no value in practice starts regardless of cost unless you're testing or you've missed practice. I would think one would be better off hiring a coach if getting up to speed is what's needed. Unfortunately, coaching is often overlooked in favor of other “go fast” mods. Those who have had the chance to work with a good one surly appreciate it. Three practice sessions, a warmup, quali and two sprints is a ton of track time. If you have a specific issue to work out, seat time itself might not be enough.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by al@cpt
I personally see no value in practice starts regardless of cost unless you're testing or you've missed practice. I would think one would be better off hiring a coach if getting up to speed is what's needed. Unfortunately, coaching is often overlooked in favor of other “go fast” mods. Those who have had the chance to work with a good one surly appreciate it. Three practice sessions, a warmup, quali and two sprints is a ton of track time. If you have a specific issue to work out, seat time itself might not be enough.
+SP996!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Maybe they should just make guilty parties pick up the check. Like a wise wash room attendant once told me.. "you wet the bowl you pay the toll"
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
...From my very limited perspective, the big issues seems to be too many guys out there that can write a big check to go racing. Too often, egos are inflated by bank accounts. These guys feel that since they've been successful, and they can afford a Cup/RSR/whatever, then they should naturally be in front, right? Some of the guys are the same ones who complained about their 996 Turbos getting passed by 944's in DE's. Sound familiar?

Unfortunately, PCA cannot afford to properly train these guys to come up the ladder, and they shouldn't have to...
Mike,
You made a very good point here...
"Money can buy a speed, but can't buy a talent"
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's rarely the guy with limited funds that cause the problems.

Quick Reply: Sebring updates