Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA CLUB RACE AT CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS CONFIRMED FOR MAY 10-12, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all due respect to the people who organize these events for us, I really think 4 race groups + 1 DE group makes a lot more sense for the big sold-out races (like Sebring and now COTA).
Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
The PCA DE program feeds club racing and helps finance it quite honestly. Without DE's most regions would not be able to host club races. DE drivers are every regions best "customers". If we can get them on the track, they deserve the track time. It would be max two DE run groups btw.
+2. I am looking forward to the DE and will enjoy it as much as some other people a club race. Not sure why some people think club race should have this much of a priority. I am a local lone star PCA member and would be very disappointed if the DE drivers would be out.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wish I could be there. Really want to drive that track. Then eat BBQ/Mexican in town til I burst!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Not sure why some people think club race should have this much of a priority.
Shouldn't club racers get priority at a club race?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
With all due respect to the people who organize these events for us, I really think 4 race groups + 1 DE group makes a lot more sense for the big sold-out races (like Sebring and now COTA).
All options will be looked at. I could see this as a possibility. Understand I'm just one voice on the team working the event. I appreciate all of the input.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Finger on the `Enter` button.

I wonder if it will sell out?
Originally Posted by paradisenb
Fork the DE. This race is going to sell out. No reason to run Cups thru H in the same group. Four groups should not be a problem. Dont understand the DE at sell out CLUB RACES.
a little self centered?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

The PCA DE program feeds club racing and helps finance it quite honestly. Without DE's most regions would not be able to host club races. DE drivers are every regions best "customers". If we can get them on the track, they deserve the track time. It would be max two DE run groups btw.
+1
Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1
Not + 1..... -1
VR do a few club races---not as a co- driver and maybe I'll listen.

I started in DE, so I get it, DE can be a source of new entrants into club racing/amateur racing/ pro racing.

What does that have to do with having de run groups at a race that will sell out in 6 hours/ give or take???

And whomever asked why should club racers get priority at club race....that attitude exactly what I'm talking about.

I guess SCCA Nationals should add a few DE groups.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Not + 1..... -1
VR do a few club races---not as a co- driver and maybe I'll listen.

I started in DE, so I get it, DE can be a source of new entrants into club racing/amateur racing/ pro racing.

What does that have to do with having de run groups at a race that will sell out in 6 hours/ give or take???

And whomever asked why should club racers get priority at club race....that attitude exactly what I'm talking about.

I guess SCCA Nationals should add a few DE groups.
Um...I have done plenty of amateur races. I did one just last weekend, and it was 6 hours long, in a Porsche. What does that have to do with anything?

This event is being put on by my home PCA region (Hill Country Region) and this may be the only opportunity many of our advanced drivers ever get to drive COTA, given the track's behavior of late. While I agree the club racers SHOULD get priority (and I am pretty sure if there is carnage-caused delay in a race session, the DE groups will be the ones to lose time), there is no reason to not have at least one advanced DE group.

So the event sells out? So what? That is a good thing, right?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
While I agree the club racers SHOULD get priority (and I am pretty sure if there is carnage-caused delay in a race session, the DE groups will be the ones to lose time), there is no reason to not have at least one advanced DE group.
+1
Not sure where all of this premature hostility is coming from given that registration hasn't opened yet, run groups have not been announced, no one has been "denied", etc. etc. We should still be in celebration mode that we are getting on this track at all.

As a racer I always love seeing the big DE groups at the races as it means continued interest (future competition) and I know these races are often money-losers for the local region without them.

And VR is right, when there are antics on the track at the end of the day it's the DE guys who get screwed with shortened or even cancelled sessions.

I say the more the merrier. And a big thanks to Mr. Globe and all of the rest of you that played a part in securing us this awesome opportunity.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If I were to name the folks that got this done, I no doubt would leave someone off. But to be clear, while I have some involvement in the event organization going forward, I don't deserve any credit at all for making this happen.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If I were to name the folks that got this done, I no doubt would leave someone off. But to be clear, while I have some involvement in the event organization going forward, I don't deserve any credit at all for making this happen.
Well, then please pass on our thanks to those that do...
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horus2000
I say the more the merrier.
I agree. Sort of.

First, yes I'm in celebration mode and I really appreciate the efforts to make this race happen! I'm planning to make the 15 hour tow.

But for example, if the PCA COTA Club Race has, let's say a 400 car capacity, why wouldn't PCA fill those 400 spots with racers? (if there is enough interest, which obviously there will be). Wouldn't that be considered a "slam dunk" for the Club Racing program? The more racers at a club race the merrier?

I'm not trying to be hostile or complain. I'm just a PCA member trying to discuss with other PCA members how future PCA races are going to be structured.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

I find it interesting that DE people are upset that Club Racers want a Club Race to be...uh... a Club Race. As someone above said, having a DE at a Race has normally been to help add enough participants to cover costs.

Why, exactly, should RACERS be penalized at a RACE in order to accommodate DE participants? Yes, having less groups with more cars and things like H class running with Cups is penalizing the racers. Its not fun for anyone.

A DE group should only be added to a Race weekend if there are not enough Racers to help the region cover costs. I mean, racers are not allowed to RACE during a DE weekend, right? And aren't there WAY more of DE's in a year than Races?

Having said all that...I do believe COTA is different. It's most likely there will not be a DE there for a long time...if ever. So in the interest of offering a venue to a wider range of drivers, COTA should be an exception to what I said above until they get their head out of their butts and allow DE weekends as stand alone events...

Just my $0.02, which in today's money is less than a penny....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I find it interesting that DE people are upset that Club Racers want a Club Race to be...uh... a Club Race. As someone above said, having a DE at a Race has normally been to help add enough participants to cover costs.

Why, exactly, should RACERS be penalized at a RACE in order to accommodate DE participants? Yes, having less groups with more cars and things like H class running with Cups is penalizing the racers. Its not fun for anyone.

A DE group should only be added to a Race weekend if there are not enough Racers to help the region cover costs. I mean, racers are not allowed to RACE during a DE weekend, right? And aren't there WAY more of DE's in a year than Races?

Having said all that...I do believe COTA is different. It's most likely there will not be a DE there for a long time...if ever. So in the interest of offering a venue to a wider range of drivers, COTA should be an exception to what I said above until they get their head out of their butts and allow DE weekends as stand alone events...

Just my $0.02, which in today's money is less than a penny....
Speaking for LSR, if we didn't have 6 very successful DE's a year there wouldn't be a club race in March at TWS or CoTA in May.

Quick Reply: PCA CLUB RACE AT CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS CONFIRMED FOR MAY 10-12, 2013