Sponsored by:

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013 | 02:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Just saw that as well. Tim Goss assumes immediate responsibility.

Lowe gets "locked out" in his new undefined role, so he can't take anymore of the 2014 McLaren to Mercedes than already possible.
Smart move on the part of Ron Dennis and Martin Whitmarsh to limit the potential damage.
Old 02-26-2013 | 10:10 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lauda is slime.... As if Brawn hasn't proven himself with Benetton, Ferrari and his own team that won a WCC/WDC..... he doesn't deserve this.....

Lauda: Brawn's position not under threat

26 February 2013

Three-time Formula 1 World Champion and Non-Executive Mercedes Chairman Niki Lauda says Ross Brawn's future at the outfit is not under threat, stating that the Briton has no plans to leave ahead of Paddy Lowe's expected arrival in 2014.

McLaren's Lowe, who has been replaced by Tim Goss as Technical Director, was absent from the team's 2013 car launch, with reports of a switch to the Silver Arrows soon gathering pace. Team Principal Brawn has been hesitant to make a long-term commitment amid the uncertainty, but Lauda is certain that he will remain at the helm.

Ross Brawn with Mercedes Executive Director Toto Wolff

"I must tell you that I know Ross really well, I work with him every day, he is highly motivated and there is no question about it," Lauda told Sky Sports of the current situation. "There is no discussion at all that he will leave. He is committed and he is in charge of the whole team so let's wait and see what he can do.

"I think things are coming together very well. Ross Brawn is the Team Principal - there is no question about that, he is fully in charge and responsible for the technical part of the car. Toto Wolff joined the team some weeks ago - he will look after all the commercial side of it. I think we are all together, Toto Wolff, Ross Brawn and myself and the whole team of people and I am sure we will move forward."

When pushed on Lowe, who has cleared a path to join Mercedes, Lauda refused to confirm or deny a move but did comment on the acclaimed engineer's known abilities.

"I cannot confirm anything yet," Lauda added. "I was surprised that McLaren issued the statement, but I cannot make any comment for the time being. Paddy Lowe is certainly a known quantity, I know him very well personally and he is a very good man."
Old 02-28-2013 | 02:38 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Sutil must have some money, I see he got the Force India drive. I knew as soon as he got a test that they'd hire him. Bianchi is the better long-term prospect IMHO.
Old 02-28-2013 | 03:54 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Webber at the top in Barcelona today. All the teams are testing the real race bits now, we should have a better picture tomorrow in the dry and with Vettel, Alonso, Button and Kimi driving.
Old 02-28-2013 | 10:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HiWind
Done!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-01-2013 | 12:51 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I have DIRECTV and thought NBC was carrying F1 this year but I don't see it in the listings for it or NBCSports. Where should I be looking?
Old 03-01-2013 | 04:50 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

I don't have DirecTV, I have TimeWarner but their listing, nor this one for NBC Sports Network:

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...0&stnNum=15952

shows the Melbourne weekend yet. The NBC one only goes through March 14 so check there again in a few days, I need to set the DVR for everything they're going to show.
Old 03-01-2013 | 04:54 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Lauda is slime.... As if Brawn hasn't proven himself with Benetton, Ferrari and his own team that won a WCC/WDC..... he doesn't deserve this.....

Lauda: Brawn's position not under threat

26 February 2013

Three-time Formula 1 World Champion and Non-Executive Mercedes Chairman Niki Lauda says Ross Brawn's future at the outfit is not under threat, stating that the Briton has no plans to leave ahead of Paddy Lowe's expected arrival in 2014.

McLaren's Lowe, who has been replaced by Tim Goss as Technical Director, was absent from the team's 2013 car launch, with reports of a switch to the Silver Arrows soon gathering pace. Team Principal Brawn has been hesitant to make a long-term commitment amid the uncertainty, but Lauda is certain that he will remain at the helm.

Ross Brawn with Mercedes Executive Director Toto Wolff

"I must tell you that I know Ross really well, I work with him every day, he is highly motivated and there is no question about it," Lauda told Sky Sports of the current situation. "There is no discussion at all that he will leave. He is committed and he is in charge of the whole team so let's wait and see what he can do.

"I think things are coming together very well. Ross Brawn is the Team Principal - there is no question about that, he is fully in charge and responsible for the technical part of the car. Toto Wolff joined the team some weeks ago - he will look after all the commercial side of it. I think we are all together, Toto Wolff, Ross Brawn and myself and the whole team of people and I am sure we will move forward."

When pushed on Lowe, who has cleared a path to join Mercedes, Lauda refused to confirm or deny a move but did comment on the acclaimed engineer's known abilities.

"I cannot confirm anything yet," Lauda added. "I was surprised that McLaren issued the statement, but I cannot make any comment for the time being. Paddy Lowe is certainly a known quantity, I know him very well personally and he is a very good man."
I agree about Lauda completely.

If Ross gets pushed out, or decides he no longer wishes to work for Herr Slime, I HOPE he stays in F1. I would love to see him start up another team, or (despite how much I despise Audi) if the VW group decided to enter F1 with one of their marques, they would be very wise to make him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Old 03-01-2013 | 05:03 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

just letting everyone know we have the 2013 rennlist championship floating on the forums. trying to get it as a sticky, sign up and run your own F1 teams!
Old 03-01-2013 | 11:50 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

NBC Sports is channel 220 on Directv. They also have a new motorsports website promoting F1 so maybe it won't be as bad I thought...

Bianchi is now at Marussia in place of Ruiz- his sponsors didn't come up with the $$
Old 03-02-2013 | 08:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

NBCSports has an iPad/iPhone app. It is also on Verizon Fios in HD.
Old 03-02-2013 | 08:03 PM
enduro911
Pro

As much as I like Brawn running a team and being a technical director are two different things. At Ferrari, Todt was the one in charge of running the team and managing all aspects of the operations. Brawn's job was to make the car faster. In 2009, his engineering mind was more engaged than everyone else's and the double diffuser made the car a championship winner. I hate saying this but as far as I'm concerned, he's still yet to show that he's a very good team boss. Lauda hasn't proved it either, though. I used to think that Niki was more logical than his competition and he was also a master politician. Lately, some of his comments have come off as Bernie-esque; in other words desperate for attention, illogical, etc. I hope he hasn't lost what made him great at Ferrari and even at Mclaren (besides his driving skill). Oh, and everyone should remember that when Byrne's cars (along with Brawn's help) have gone up against Newey's Bryne has triumphed more often. I'd wager than Adrian knows that he MAY have his work cut out for him next year if Rory hasn't lost his touch.
Old 03-03-2013 | 11:51 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
NBCSports has an iPad/iPhone app. It is also on Verizon Fios in HD.
Is this the NBCSports Live Extra App?

Also went to the NBCSport website and unless I am missing something it appears to have less coverage than other networks who do not have the TV rights.
Old 03-03-2013 | 02:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Is this the NBCSports Live Extra App?

Also went to the NBCSport website and unless I am missing something it appears to have less coverage than other networks who do not have the TV rights.
It is the NBCSports Talk app. I stumbled across it in the App Store so downloaded it.

I doubt NBCSports could be any worse than having to endure the summer races on Fox or CBS ... That was terrible.
Old 03-04-2013 | 12:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro911
As much as I like Brawn running a team and being a technical director are two different things. At Ferrari, Todt was the one in charge of running the team and managing all aspects of the operations. Brawn's job was to make the car faster. In 2009, his engineering mind was more engaged than everyone else's and the double diffuser made the car a championship winner. I hate saying this but as far as I'm concerned, he's still yet to show that he's a very good team boss. Lauda hasn't proved it either, though. I used to think that Niki was more logical than his competition and he was also a master politician. Lately, some of his comments have come off as Bernie-esque; in other words desperate for attention, illogical, etc. I hope he hasn't lost what made him great at Ferrari and even at Mclaren (besides his driving skill). Oh, and everyone should remember that when Byrne's cars (along with Brawn's help) have gone up against Newey's Bryne has triumphed more often. I'd wager than Adrian knows that he MAY have his work cut out for him next year if Rory hasn't lost his touch.
+1

During the Todt, Schumi, Brawn, Byrne years, how many times we saw Schumi on different SUCCESSFUL set-up or strategy from everyone else?

Plenty times they went with slicks when everyone else on inters or wise-versa, or did 3 stopper when everyone else was on 1 or 2 etc. etc. and that was Brawn calling those shots.

The man is brilliant, IMO the best technical director out there but also being a team manager? Takes away from his TD and doesn't add anything that someone else couldn't add. They should've hired a team manager, not technical director.

Quick Reply: The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread