More Alonso Apologists

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I don't even buy into the concept of the Ferrari being so far behind the other cars in terms of perceived performance. I think that's a bit of a smokescreen too. Especially in the latter half of the season. Both Alonso and Massa competed extremely well in the races.
HUUUGEEE +1!

Ferrari wasn't that fast in quali (maybe 3rd or 4th with Lotus after RB & McL) but their race speed was right up there with others. All this inferior BS is just that, BS, that car was/is pretty damn good.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Really?
Name another driver in the modern era who has been at the center of some of the most spectacular controversies....

McLaren - Ferrari technical information (Stepneygate), sitting in the pits waiting for his physio to signal the release, alleged blackmail (mentioned by Ron Dennis), 100M fine.

Renault - Singapore (Flavio and Symmonds gone), claims to have no idea why he was fueled so light (strange for a former WDC to be so clueless about his car setup)

Yet he is as pure as the driven snow, a victim of always being at the wrong place at the wrong time. A man of deep reflection and contemplation.

Seriously, does "Tifosi" translate to "moron" ?
What does his past have to do with Briatore complaining that Schumacher didn't put up a fight against Vettel? The past is the past and Alonso has been the model driver for Ferrari and there have been no scandals in 3 years. This is not a scandal anyways and simply opinions of some in F1. Let's not blow it up out of proportion.

And to the point that the Ferrari is better than advertised, I'd like what you guys are smoking!! The Ferrari was reliable, but not fast. A freaking force India was ahead of the Ferrari for a good part of the Brazilian GP and only after Hulkenberg took out LH did Alonso get up to podium level.

Both Red Bulls, both McLarens, sometimes Lotus and early in the season Mercedes were all faster than Ferrari. To believe otherwise is another slight on the ability of the best driver in F1 right now!!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
What does his past have to do with Briatore complaining that Schumacher didn't put up a fight against Vettel? The past is the past and Alonso has been the model driver for Ferrari and there have been no scandals in 3 years. This is not a scandal anyways and simply opinions of some in F1. Let's not blow it up out of proportion.

And to the point that the Ferrari is better than advertised, I'd like what you guys are smoking!! The Ferrari was reliable, but not fast. A freaking force India was ahead of the Ferrari for a good part of the Brazilian GP and only after Hulkenberg took out LH did Alonso get up to podium level.

Both Red Bulls, both McLarens, sometimes Lotus and early in the season Mercedes were all faster than Ferrari. To believe otherwise is another slight on the ability of the best driver in F1 right now!!
3 years without a scandal....
Quick, have Luca contact the Pope immediately...it's time to announce Saint Fernando.

BTW, did Timo Glock put up a fight against Hamilton? Didnt that cost Massa the 2008 WDC? Did (pre DV) Ferrari get their thongs in a twist over that? I don't recall the outrage being discussed on The View....

The F2012 was a mistake from the start. It was only after the Mugello in season test (where the Ferrauber mule took to the track) that the F2012 began to gain pace as final parts came online.
What, do you believe that Massa's sudden second half pace came out of nowhere?

The best driver in F1 right now...please.
Fighting for his WDC, out qualified in the last 2 crucial races by his teammate, who is told to slow down and stay back!
Second best driver in F1. The best finish 1st, second best is first loser.

Don't worry...next year Alonso will get his 3rd WDC, trust me.

In the meantime, I can't wait to see next year's Sauber...I mean Ferrari.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Name me one bad or untasteful thing attributed to Alonso during his stay at ferrari? That's correct, you can't.

As for drivers, it's easy to win when you have the best car, try to do it when you don't and still take it to 20 races and down to the last few laps of the season for a championsiop. Vettel can't do that. Hamilton can't do that and sure as hell Massa can't do that. Only one man could and did. Live with it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

McLaren was the best car (fastest thru the season). Lewis should have won. ALO lost the title touching Kimi in Japan. Vetted took the opportunity and got the 3rd WC, smart and quick.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, Frenchies giving Maranello the what for.

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/renault-red-is-dead
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Name me one bad or untasteful thing attributed to Alonso during his stay at ferrari? That's correct, you can't.
Wait....you ask me a question and then answer it for me?

As for drivers, it's easy to win when you have the best car, try to do it when you don't and still take it to 20 races and down to the last few laps of the season for a championsiop. Vettel can't do that. Hamilton can't do that and sure as hell Massa can't do that.
Sure. Alonso has failed to win a WDC when he hasn't had the best car...this is a trick question, right?
Without a mass damper, Flavio, Symmonds and Michelin, how many WDC has DV won?

Only one man could and did.
Yes, the Ferrari performance at Abu Dhabi 3 years ago was one for the ages....
Heading into the race with a 13 point lead over your closest competitor, a 15 point lead over the next driver and losing it. Heimlich would have been proud...
If only Petrov could have been passed somehow....

Live with it.
Live with what?
The fact that DV has failed to win a WDC for Ferrari in the past 3 years?
OK....I can live with that.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How soon you forget Alonso flashing Petrov the bird.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Conversely I don't want any of what you're smoking. The Ferrari was waaay stronger throughout much of the year than they wanted us to believe. They did a lot of their qualifying in race trim and relied on Alonso's good starts (or Massa having gearbox seal issues ) to get them forwards at the starts. Which he did very well I agree. How fast did the Ferraris smoke past the Red Bulls in straightline speed, along with many others.

I've nothing against Alonso I do think he's a great driver and feel that he's a lot more humble than in the past. Everyone is allowed to grow up. I'd give that same grace to Vettel. He's still a kid. Alonso could easily have won the title had a few things gone his way. Same with Hamilton. In the end you can only beat those that are in front of you. Vettel won with a good, not great car. The Red Bulls had their issues too. Mark Webber had KERS issues virtually every race weekend. Plus DRS probs and also retired with the Alternator issue. No-one team had a significant advantage over the others and Alonso certainly wasn't in a significantly weaker car than the rest.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Conversely I don't want any of what you're smoking. The Ferrari was waaay stronger throughout much of the year than they wanted us to believe. They did a lot of their qualifying in race trim and relied on Alonso's good starts (or Massa having gearbox seal issues ) to get them forwards at the starts. Which he did very well I agree. How fast did the Ferraris smoke past the Red Bulls in straightline speed, along with many others.

I've nothing against Alonso I do think he's a great driver and feel that he's a lot more humble than in the past. Everyone is allowed to grow up. I'd give that same grace to Vettel. He's still a kid. Alonso could easily have won the title had a few things gone his way. Same with Hamilton. In the end you can only beat those that are in front of you. Vettel won with a good, not great car. The Red Bulls had their issues too. Mark Webber had KERS issues virtually every race weekend. Plus DRS probs and also retired with the Alternator issue. No-one team had a significant advantage over the others and Alonso certainly wasn't in a significantly weaker car than the rest.
Race and quali pace came down to DRS.

With "free" DRS, the car did the lap in basically a different configuration than with "race" DRS. The laptime difference could be as high as 3s/lap

Ferrari didn't have the free DRS pace, RB did, and in spades.

In the race, it was different. Ferrari was much, much closer, sometimes at the same pace, sometimes within 2 or 3 tenths, and sometimes even quicker. But there is no denying that in the latter half of the season the RB was the car to beat

However, if you're starting 5 places down, by the time you are in a position to attack you are 6-10s behind.

There is not much to it.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini

With "free" DRS, the car did the lap in basically a different configuration than with "race" DRS. The laptime difference could be as high as 3s/lap

This provision has been struck from the 2013 rules, DRS only in the designated zone in qualifying now. Should be a closer pack next season eliminating one of RB's advantages, much like EBD.

I disagree about the RB8 being the best car in the last half of the season, it was McLaren. Ferrari only did as well as they did because it was reliable, McLaren could have crushed 2012.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
This provision has been struck from the 2013 rules, DRS only in the designated zone in qualifying now. Should be a closer pack next season eliminating one of RB's advantages, much like EBD.

I disagree about the RB8 being the best car in the last half of the season, it was McLaren. Ferrari only did as well as they did because it was reliable, McLaren could have crushed 2012.
I can agree with that.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Originally Posted by bmardini

In the race, it was different. Ferrari was much, much closer, sometimes at the same pace, sometimes within 2 or 3 tenths, and sometimes even quicker. But there is no denying that in the latter half of the season the RB was the car to beat

However, if you're starting 5 places down, by the time you are in a position to attack you are 6-10s behind.

There is not much to it.
+1. Double DRS for both Mercedes and Red Bull made a huge different in qualifying. Start in 6-8 spot on a street course (of which there are many on the calander) and you're screwed for the race. Both McLaren and RBR were much much faster than Ferrari, it's just that Ferrari finished the races through reliability. Kimi did the same thing and finished all his races. Don't tell me the Lotus was anywhere near the RB and McLarens or even Ferrari for that matter, but he got the car home to score points and that's what Alonso did. He harvested the best he could do with a much slower car. And please don't bull**** me that it was not that bad because when he podiumed he was 40 seconds back or as you guys admit, mechanical DNFs by others.

So that is all you guys can come up with in 3 years with Ferrari? Flipping of the bird? That's horrible.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The Lotus wasn't anywhere near RB or McLarens? Did you watch the whole season? They were the black and gold ones.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

...Start in 6-8 spot on a street course (of which there are many on the calander) and you're screwed for the race.
Unless you're talking about Singapore and Renault. I believe Alonso was 15th on the grid and won that race?

And please don't bull**** me that it was not that bad because when he podiumed he was 40 seconds back or as you guys admit, mechanical DNFs by others.
A. language please
B. would you like me to go over the 2012 races and calculate the expected results for Alonso if there had been no DNF's by the cars in front of him?
C. incredibly reliable car (Ferrari hallmark), great starts, great driver, good luck = 2nd in WDC. Be happy with that. he is the best driver to finish 2nd in the WDC two out of 3 years that I can remember.

Quick Reply: More Alonso Apologists