40.26%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

2012 Grand Prix of Brazil

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the greatest seasons in F1. On to next yr...
Ferrari, can we please build a competitive car for a change? You have the best driver, overdriving for 3 yrs in a row. About time he get a competitive car for a change for 2013.
Congrats to Vettel and Kudos to Alonso for keeping it interesting.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy **** what a rollercoaster race...

Congrats Seb! That certainly was not easy.

In the end, it didn't matter but have to mention, WTF Senna...?!
Absolutely right decision for Williams to dump him and get Bottas in.
Not only because Bottas is better but because Senna is a tool, it's a real shame that there are more and more these pay guys in F1 because they really should have no place in F1.

But enough if that, what a great season this was and a real nail biter if an end, Ferrari and Alonso never gave up and came close, congrats to them but even mire for RB and Vettel.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
What will the Brazilians do if/when Massa is ordered to pull over and let Alonso by? I know, slow or stacked pit stop...a bit more subtle.

What is the difference of doing it before the lights go out vs. after the lights go out?

As I mentioned, Ferrari's WDC hopes rest on a DNF rather than their team orders/strategy.
Happened in 2008 as as well when Kimi won. Nothing new here. Massa moved over for Kimi. I know you want to make it a story since its Alonso this time. Better luck next time..
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Sure, but it would have been a class move for FA to move over and let Massa take P2 before they crossed start/finish with the safety car.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What a breathtaking race, amazing season.

Alonso couldn't have asked for more luck this race---rain, Vettel crash, stupid Vettel pit stop, Hamilton/Hulk crash, safety car on request and then drove a solid race but it just wasn't enough. It honestly wasn't a spectacular however, Massa was quicker and Hulkenberg drove away in the wet.

Fantastic drive by Vettel under outrageous pressure with a damaged car to come back thru the field. It's not a fluke, it's not just car.

Disappointing end to Hamilton's career at McLaren.

Last edited by consolidated; 11-25-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I hope I am wrong, I will gladly eat my words if I am, but I predict Massa will be taking his front wing to the side of Vettel's right rear tire going into turn #1 on the 1st lap giving the German a puncture.
Excuse me while I ... munch munch munch ... ewww that tastes awful ... munch munch munch ... eat my words here. I know what I said was controversial and every time I saw Massa behind Vettel in the race I was thinking "just let him pass". But it turns out I got my Brazilian's mixed up as to which one was going to take Vettel out on the first lap. So as I said ... munch munch munch ... yup still tastes awful ... munch munch munch ... I am chowing down on my words today.

In a season of crazy races, they left the most insane one for the last race of the season. Talk about roller coasters. There is so much you could say about what happened. Vettel experienced some bad luck, then some good luck, followed by more bad luck. But in the end he had one last dash of good luck to help win his 3rd WDC and yes a lot of credit should go out to Alonso for never quitting. He could have still been champ had Button's car malfunctioned, but the racing Gods just weren't willing to go that far.

I was cheering for Hulkenberg to win his first race when he was doing so well in the middle of the race. But he clearly took one too many chances. When he went off line onto a wet part of the track trying to pass Hamilton into T1 in traffic I said, "This is not going to work" and it didn't. I don't normally feel bad for Lewis, but today I did feel bad for the Brit. A very unfortunate way for him to end his career at McLaren. Drive of the day has to go to Button. He may not be the fastest qualifier, but he sure knows how to manage his tires especially on a damp track. Of course comedic moment of the day goes to Kimi. Hmmm ... Kimi we know you think you know what you are doing, but you have left the track. Tell you what we will give you an extra scoop of ice cream if you come back and rejoin everyone else in the race.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW!!!! What a race and what a season Congrats to Seb for the 2012 World Driver's Championship. He deserved it. Fernando drove his heart out, but just came up short. There will always be next year Next season will be fun, because Hamilton may not have a perfect car, but he will still win races. Watching Perez trying to fill the shoes of Hamilton will be a constant source of discussion on this board. Bring on 2013
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by My993C2
know what I said was controversial and every time I saw Massa behind Vettel in the race I was thinking "just let him pass". But it turns out I got my Brazilian's mixed up as to which one was going to take Vettel out on the first lap.

I was cheering for Hulkenberg to win his first race when he was doing so well in the middle of the race. But he clearly took one too many chances. When he went off line onto a wet part of the track trying to pass Hamilton into T1 in traffic I said, "This is not going to work" and it didn't.yone else in the race.
It wasn't just the Brazilians. There were a couple times when I thought Vettel's azzbag of a team mate was going to take him out or cause an incident that put him out of the race.

I was also pulling for Hulk but thought the slight bobble was more of a racing incident that didn't deserve a penalty. They are racing after all.

The season just wouldn't have been the same without Kimi. His off track exploration today was a trip. Am looking forward to the t-shirt.

Congrats to the 3x champ and am really looking forward to 2013.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
What a breathtaking race, amazing season.

Alonso couldn't have asked for more luck this race---rain, Vettel crash, stupid Vettel pit stop, Hamilton/Hulk crash, safety car on request and then drove a solid race but it just wasn't enough. .
Also the drive through penalty for Hulkenberg. There were a ton of incidents in the race and that one, though it took out Hamilton, looked like a racing incident. They were concertina-ing up behind the Caterham and Hulk lost the back end of the car on corner exit. That drive through brought Massa and Alonso through... so basically gifting a podium to Alonso.

I would have loved to hear Kimi when he turned that corner and saw a fence blocking his rejoining of the track!

Seb was very lucky that he didn't take more damage in that incident. Senna's interview was hilarious: (paraphrasing) "I was doing very well holding my line and Sebastian just came and hit me!"
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What a race, and what a fantastic season!!

Last edited by ZAPmobile; 11-25-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts
Default F1

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
What a race, and what fantastic season!!
It sure was the best season and race in years.
Arnie
What town are you in NC?
Ron
Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

What a great way to end this BEST of all years season!!!! Drama from start to finish

First off, congrats to Vettel. He deserves the WDC as he had to fight hard today under crazy conditions.

Second, congrats to Alonso, as he came so close to finishing on top after never having the best car on the grid the entire season. Also for keeping his nose clean at Ferrari for 3 years. I didn't think it could happen given his history with Renault, then McLaren and back to Renault again, but he has been a model driver for the team.

Congrats to Kimi for coming in 3rd in the WDC. Also never had the best car on grid the entire year, but managed to be up there. Also congrats to KIMI for not rear ending Vettel on lap 1 when he locked up and was headed straight for Vettels gearbox. He decided to go off track rather than decide the WDC right there and then.

Congrats to Massa for being the ideal teammate and doing everything in his power to help his teammate win the WDC without crashing out his competition.

Congrats to Ferrari for sticking with Massa when it appeared he was done. Clearly it paid off with Massa's outstanding performance down the stretch of the year and locking up the 2nd position in the WCC.

Now onto the WTF award:

Senna. WTF was that? and then blaming Vettel for turning into you. YOU? Unbelievable.

Grojean. Honestly another WTF moment in qualifying that cost him from advancing out of Q1. Only to be followed up with an unassisted spin by himself into the wall and another DNF. Grojean's got nothing on Sato and should NOT be in F1, period.

Webber. Dude. Exactly why are you trying to overtake your teammate into T1, 3 wide on the restart? I've said it before, I'll say it again, Webber is either the most stupid driver on grid or the most stubborn, but regardless, he JUST DOESN'T GET THE BIG PICTURE, DOES HE. You've had your chance for years. You have no chance at the WDC, give your teammate space. You're an idiot that is lucky they still put up with your dumbass moves on track. Go home already. When is Vettel going to pop this guy right in the nose? He won despite his teammate.

Finally, goodbye to SPEED and hope for a better broadcast from NBCSN in 2013.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pete
Also congrats to KIMI for not rear ending Vettel on lap 1 when he locked up and was headed straight for Vettels gearbox. He decided to go off track rather than decide the WDC right there and then.
+1 ... Kimi throughout the entire season showed he knew when to attack and when to hold back. A lot of the younger "hungry" drivers could learn a lot by going back and watching how the Iceman approached the races this season.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Also congrats to KIMI for not rear ending Vettel on lap 1 when he locked up and was headed straight for Vettels gearbox. He decided to go off track rather than decide the WDC right there and then.
I was hoping someone else noticed that. Even the announcers didn't pick up on it. Kimi's a true class act unlike that assbag Senna. You don't take out someone fighting for a world championship. Kimi even has a great sense of humor about his off course excursion. He said he used that part of the track in 2001 and the gate was open. This time it was closed. He said he'll make sure it's open next year! Ha ha.

Congratulations to Vettel (my boy!) for pulling out the championship. I couldn't sit down the whole race. He battled back from what should have taken him out. That was a pretty big hit. Just an amazing drive. Just like Abu Dhabi.

I also have to congratulate Alonso. I have never been a big fan until this year. He clearly is one of the top talents in the world, not only driving-wise, but determination-wise. He has the passion that the Ferrari fans live for. Alonso made the absolute most out of driving a third rate car.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
It sure was the best season and race in years.
Arnie
What town are you in NC?
Ron
We're in Hillsborough, near Chapel Hill.

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Prix of Brazil