Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who will win?
Adrian Newey (I've added parts to Sebastian Vettel this weekend)
23.38%
Mark Webber
1.30%
Jenson Button
3.90%
Lewis Hamilton
14.29%
Fernando Alonso
5.19%
Felipe Massa
0%
Michael Schumacher
1.30%
Nico Rosberg
0%
Kimi "Leave me alone, I know what to do" Raikkonen
11.69%
Romain Grosjean
0%
Paul di Resta
0%
Nico Hulkenburg
0%
Kamui Kobayashi
0%
Sergio Perez
0%
Daniel Ricciardo
0%
Jean-Eric Vergne
0%
Pastor Maldanado
0%
Brunno Senna
0%
Vitali Petrov
0%
Takuma "I'll show Texas something big" Sato
38.96%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

2012 Grand Prix of USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

First off, congratulations to ALL THE TEXANS. You guys did it when some, including a lot on this board said it couldn't be done. Not only did you do it, but you hit a grand slam!!! Thanks for showing well for the USA!!!! Great track, great facilities, great passing opportunities on this Tilke track etc! Outstanding job, really impressed and I hope to go next year to experience this first hand.

Awesome job by all the drivers, really good side by side hard racing and no BS.

Massa continues to impress with a 11th starting spot and gets all the way to 4th.

Forecasts for this weekend in Brazil are "RAIN"..... Perhaps the only way to slow down the RBR. The F cars go really well in Brazil and it should be a great way to end what has been an unbelievable season
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic outcome, and a great debut for Austin, TX. Couldn't have asked for better, the circuit provided lots of excitement.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hammy did well. It was nice to see him win. The question I have, based on the Middle school stunt pulled by Ferrari to get Alonso on the clean side

Don't you feel dirty rooting for Ferrari?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
First off, congratulations to ALL THE TEXANS. You guys did it when some, including a lot on this board said it couldn't be done. Not only did you do it, but you hit a grand slam!!! Thanks for showing well for the USA!!!! Great track, great facilities, great passing opportunities on this Tilke track etc! Outstanding job, really impressed and I hope to go next year to experience this first hand.

Awesome job by all the drivers, really good side by side hard racing and no BS.

Massa continues to impress with a 11th starting spot and gets all the way to 4th.

Forecasts for this weekend in Brazil are "RAIN"..... Perhaps the only way to slow down the RBR. The F cars go really well in Brazil and it should be a great way to end what has been an unbelievable season
+1

Well said Pete
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ss-of-victory/

Wow, Never his fault always someone else. Hammy smoked him and they can't man up to out.

Congrats Hammy on a great drive and an overdue win.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Virtual Surgeon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hammy is an amazing driver. I think he will regret the move and I will be sad if he is not competing in a vehicle that show cases his talents.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Boston Blazer
HaHa
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Nothing is illegal about redbull's nose or wing. Its called being innovative. While fabricating a reason to bump your number one driver up the grid and to the clean side of the track just because it is technically within the rules is not in the spirit of racing. It is shameful and a very sorry way to gain an advantage but one wouldn't expect any less from Ferrari.
+1 - Just because it is within the rules it's still a shameful move. Alonso certainly had luck with Webber going out. He seems to get lucky breaks every race. He still was 38 seconds or so from 2nd place.

Nice race by LH.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

What an awesome race. COTA is an amazing facility! So many passing opportunities! Loved the cowboy hats at the end, well done!!

Ferrari did a dirty trick, plain and simple. It's in the same league as Austria 2002, Singapore 2008, and Germany 2010. Lame. It really takes away from the excitement of the sport.

And finally, congrats to Lewis, he drove an amazing race!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ss-of-victory/

Wow, Never his fault always someone else. Hammy smoked him and they can't man up to out.

Congrats Hammy on a great drive and an overdue win.
I totally agree. Hamilton did the deed, I have not always been his biggest fan but I was rooting FOR him more than I was rooting AGAINST Vettel. F1 is about which car/driver/tire/track combination best works, and this weekend it was Hamilton in the McLaren, good on him.

Interesting that as Villeneuve said last week
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104210)
that Vettel acts like a spoilt child and blamed it on Narain.
When Alonso doesn't win, he tells the truth, as in 'this was the best we could do this weekend', he doesn't whine like Vettel and Horner.

Karthikeyan spoke to Charlie Whiting before the race regarding when he was required to move over, and followed Charlie's instructions:
http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/825...-nothing-wrong

Horner and Vettel are sore losers, what Ferrari did was within the rules, and I agree with Domenicali that anyone who's crying spilt milk is lying and I respect Stefano's honesty :
http://planetf1.com/news/3213/825956...nalty-Decision

Horner would have done exactly the same thing given the variance between both sides of that track and he knows it. He's a disingenuous lyer.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kudos to Hammy on a great, patient drive. Vettel is proving himself again to be a whiney little snot nose'd kiddy....if he was so good, why was Hammy pulling away at the end.

And kudos to Ferrari for being clever. Losing the tag seal on the tranny was a bit underhanded, but was within the rules. F1 is to some degree a "team" sport, so kudos to the Team. But I think the outcome would have probably been the same had Alonso started from his original grid spot. He suffered a painfully long pit stop, and still managed to podium.

COTA is a great facility! If that track is ever opened up to Club events, I will have to thing very hard about putting it on my bucket list.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Why on earth would Vettel go to Ferrari ? If they can't build a car capable of beating Vettel in a Newey car head-to-head with a driver of ALonso's calibre, what would he stand to gain ? Money (i.e. salary) ? Lewis may be stupid enough to leave a sure thing for a bigger salary, but I don't think Vettel's that stupid.

The only way I see that happening is if Ferrari managed to lure Newey as well, but I believe this will be Adrian's last gig.
All evidence points to the deal already having been done. Vettel is already signed up with Ferrari for 2014 similar to the way Alonso pre-signed with McLaren years ago and I'll explain why.

Perez was a Ferrari driver. Logic would indicate that after his stunning start to the season in the Sauber that you bring him over to be the understudy to Alonso and groom him for the future. The fact he brings so much TelMex money with him is an added bonus. But they didn't do that and said he wasn't ready and didn't sign anyone else when Massa was strugglin SO BADLY at the beginning of the season. So Ferrari was not looking to lock up anyone long term.

If there is anything Luca DiMontezemolo loves is a date with the prettiest girl in the room. Five years ago, he let go of Schumacher for Kimi. Then he let go of Kimi for Alonso. In a couple years it will be Alonso for Vettel.

That was from the Ferrari point of view. Now what's in it for Vettel:

By the time 2014 rolls around, Vettel will have been a 3 or 4 time WDC, definitely an all time great in the history of F1. The only thing is he would have done it with one team. But the team everyone dreams of driving for is Ferrari. His childhood hero, Schumacher, has no doubt told him how wonderful it is to be a Ferrari driver and more so a Ferrari WDC. I was in Maranello in April and when you become a WDC for Ferrari, you are immortalized forever in that town, area, country. FOREVER.

Then there is the challenge of getting away from the shadow of Adrian Newey. Schumacher left Benetton after 2 WDC and went to Ferrari to win 5 more. No doubt winning a WDC without Newey as the designer would boost Vettels status and ego which all these drivers have.

Then there is that little rule change coming in 2014 with the V6 turbo engines. Currently all engines are frozen in development and the Renault package in the RBR chassis is clearly the best of the best and Vettel will have another year to win again. In 2014, it'll be a lottery to see who can develope the best and more importantly, the most reliable turbo engine and the odds of RBR being so dominant are less.

Finally, you have the history of Ferrari. Traditionally, they like to have a clear #1 and #2. With Alonso there, that would not be the case, but Alonso's contract expires in 2015. It would be outstanding to have both Alonso and Vettel in the same team for a year, but Montezemolo has already said he doesn't like to have two roosters in the hen house *his words, not mine* and the history of Luca dumping one driver for the younger one has already been established over and over again. If Montezemolo has a shot at getting Vettel, he will not let it go.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 955 Posts

I guess somebody had a good time in Texas:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sc...anch-in-texas/

Best pass of the race:
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

It was a great race on a very good track! While everyone comments on Ferrari's cute trick, I was disappointed by Schumi's behavior on track. His "defense"was dangerous and stupid.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Great race, now on to the final round. Vettel DNF's and Alonso wins the championship from 3rd .
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Great race and the track looked incredible on TV. I can't wait to drive it myself.
I'm a little concerned about the alternator on the Red Bull in Brazil. Hopefully the championship is decided on the track with Alonso and Vettle going head to head to the end.

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Prix of USA