Sponsored by:

Breathable suit recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Breathable suit recommendations?

I had a "less than graceful" moment climbing down from the podium at Road Atlanta on saturday. My favorite suit (an old OMP) has now a large vent from the zipper to my lower back.

I'm using my spare (GForce) which has a zipper which is going bad.

Looked at Stand 21 this weekend and their breathable suit is very nice but very pricey. Which breathable suit is out there which is not as expensive as the Stand?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Juan, I have been racing in an Alpinestars GP-TECH and it is superlight and breathable. I also have a Stand21 but it is much heavier in weight and yes - they are very pricey. Let me know if you have any questions - we do sell more Alpinestars then any other brand lately...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Juan, I bought a Sparco Superleggera as they came out last year and am very pleased with it. I was well on my way to a new Stand21, but backed down due to the price.

Very light, soft in the hand, non shiny and very comfortable (stretch panels). The material is very Stand21 like and I did not feel suffocated in the 100*+ heat we had this summer.

If Sparco fits you, it's certainly worth a look
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I like both the OMP and the Sparco Super lightweight. This technology has moved so far forward in the last few years. I remember my first few suits. BAD in July and August here...

Just bought a Stand21 DD helmet, but their suits are too rich for my blood.

Now, the suit breathability is pretty good. There is a fabric "weight" measurement that can help you compare.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 872 Posts

I will also add a recommendation for Sparco. I still have my X-Light, and they have gotten even bettter since then...
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I will also add a recommendation for Sparco. I still have my X-Light, and they have gotten even bettter since then...
+1 on the X-Light. I'm comparatively new to racing so it's the only suit I've ever had but it fits great seems to breath well. Sebring in summer is no field day but with plenty of fluids I have been ok in the X-Light.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I had a "less than graceful" moment climbing down from the podium at Road Atlanta on saturday. My favorite suit (an old OMP) has now a large vent from the zipper to my lower back.

I'm using my spare (GForce) which has a zipper which is going bad.

Looked at Stand 21 this weekend and their breathable suit is very nice but very pricey. Which breathable suit is out there which is not as expensive as the Stand?

Thanks!
Stand 21s are expensive but you get what you pay for. They made mine custom and it felt perfect. At the end of the day, it's the price of a set of slicks...
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are living right and don't have too uh, "unconventional" sizing, go to stand 21 Georgia and look at the end of line tab under products/suits. You may find something that works for pretty decent price, including the Porsche motorsport suits.

I went by the trailer at an amls and got sized up, turns out I was a dead on 3 which made my life easy. Picked up a st3000. Light nice fit and detail. The only problem is it's like a new pair of white sneakers, I feel like I actually glow...
Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought a Sparco Evo/4 last year. It had just come out. Its very light weight. Like nothing. The Evo/4 is lighter than the previous generation Evo/3 which was also awesome.. But the 4 is an improvement..

I never found an Alpinestar that fit me, but you can't go wrong with the Sparco
Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
If you are living right and don't have too uh, "unconventional" sizing, go to stand 21 Georgia and look at the end of line tab under products/suits. You may find something that works for pretty decent price, including the Porsche motorsport suits.

I went by the trailer at an amls and got sized up, turns out I was a dead on 3 which made my life easy. Picked up a st3000. Light nice fit and detail. The only problem is it's like a new pair of white sneakers, I feel like I actually glow...
I went to their shop at Road Atlanta on Saturday. They had a P Motorsports that fit me perfectly (I was kind of surprised as I'm heavy for my height - get it ) but I have always preferred "non-white" suits and even with a discount it was double a nice Sparco or Alpinestars.

The guy that took care of me was super helpful and showed me some of the closeouts but none were the breathable kind.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my Sparco X-Light.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a high end Momo suit (can't recall model) and now have a Stand 21 suit. The fabric the Stand 21 suits are made of is incredible. Go to your race suit and blow on the front of the fabric. Can you feel your breath with your hand positioned behind the fabric (where your chest would be)? You can with the newer Stand 21 suits. I feel the breeze coming through the window and the suit onto my left shoulder as I go down the track. The new suit is much, much cooler and more comfortable than the old one. Mine was a Christmas gift from my wife, so the price was well worth it.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom,

the other 2 drivers in our team this past weekend were wearing Stand 21's and both made the same comment about breathe-ability.

I wonder how the Sparco and the Alpinestars compare vs. the Stand on this?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I wonder how the Sparco and the Alpinestars compare vs. the Stand on this?
They don't, IMO. (breathability)
Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stand21 all the way - ST3000.

Expensive yes. Worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Breathable suit recommendations?