Sponsored by:

Toughest Turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
cwhota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Marc, you read my mind. And if I may, I would add a third one: exiting spoon and going in a really fast banked right hander into the front straight. These 3 modifications (that I would call the "pro circuit", or whatever but you get the idea) could make it one of the nicest track in all of NA.
Something like that.... a Mosport kind of track in the Ottawa region... hummmm

momentum track with a 1:30 a lap time instead of the 2:20 now i imagine we would have to trade patience for big ba.........

Dreaming is good for the soul, I'l drink to that
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cwhota
Something like that.... a Mosport kind of track in the Ottawa region... hummmm

momentum track with a 1:30 a lap time instead of the 2:20 now i imagine we would have to trade patience for big ba.........

Dreaming is good for the soul, I'l drink to that
That looks like a demented, smiling zombie bunny.

My vote is also for T2 at Mosport, but I don't have very wide experience.

It was also going to be: "The hairpin at Nelson Ledges, because even if you somehow exactly nail the off-camber, uphill, half-paved section before the crest, you won't be able to carry any speed over the potholes on the straight."
Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the crest at Thunderhill... on the inside in a E30 with the Mercer 911 passing me on the outside during the 25hour.

Otherwise the Nurburgring. The whole f'n thing. Nowhere near enough laps to call out which one is toughest for me yet.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn 14 @ CMP - it's sharp, over 90 degrees, leads to front straight and has the most punitive rumbles on track out. It's not a wall but you really don't want to run wide. I just always fell like my exit speed is too low.
And if you don't know the turn come find out at the wonderful Club race in October. Great event, great people, great weather and I wasn't paid to say that - I just want to see the event prosper.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoping to add T1 at COA in a few months.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
Turn 14 @ CMP - it's sharp, over 90 degrees, leads to front straight and has the most punitive rumbles on track out. It's not a wall but you really don't want to run wide. I just always fell like my exit speed is too low.
And if you don't know the turn come find out at the wonderful Club race in October. Great event, great people, great weather and I wasn't paid to say that - I just want to see the event prosper.
I think I shook a couple of tooth fillings loose on that rumble strip this past weekend. Once I got on the darn thing I couldn't get off! Turn 14 is also where the bad thing happened, , but I think #11 had more spin-outs, at least on Saturday when we newbies were learning the track.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
MikeJim
Pro

No one has problems with any of the turns at Watkins Glen?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Maybe T9 as I always feel I leave 20 seconds there!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
No one has problems with any of the turns at Watkins Glen?
NASCAR drivers can figure it out, so clearly it's not that difficult...

Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stownsen914
The series of turns starting with turn 1 at the defunct Bridgehampton track. It was downhill, blind, fast, and extra scary with all the sand surrounding the entire track (go off and you had a good chance to go shiny side down) ...

^^I had that thought exactly, but then figured no one would know what I'm talking about anymore!^^

Scott

I know what you guys are talking about!! I grew up on Long Island, racing Karts at the westhampton Kart track and then taking the step up to cars at Bridgehampton.Circa 1992/93
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
car_slave
Pro

Great question with a simple answer that took me a while to figure out.
“Any turn I know I’m getting badly beat on and can’t quite figure out why.”
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Generally I hate low grip, slow, wait, wait, wait motorcycle tracks. Just no fun.
PBIR, Calabogie are the worst I have driven, but other tracks a a corner like that that ruins the lap, like octopus Njmp, barber T2, and the likes...

Of the tracks where I have been at least more than once toughest turns:
Sebring T17 bunch of lines, bumps, no view, walls everywhere grip varies, very fast.
Sebring T 1 one line, but same as above.
Sebring T16 my problem I guess, low grip hard to get maximum RPM out of it, walls on exit, curb on exit unsettles car on full power. Corner I need to work on.
PBIR last turn before back straight. To references, walls on the edge of asphalt, need to nail to get max RPM out..
VIR T1, different lines and grip levels, high speed in..
VIR corner before oak tree, car gets light, I feel like I cruise to oak tree, or go off, no in between?
VIR esses, car setup is a big difference, walls and track tighten up on the way up.
RA the kink, varying grip, shade, blind, walls, high speed...
Only been to Tremblant once, but I can see T2 being difficult even after a bunch of visits..
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
....low grip, slow, wait, wait, wait motorcycle tracks.
What exactly is that?

I haven't seen any tracks specifically designed for motorcycles. That would be financial suicide. It's hard enough for tracks to make money when they cater to cars, bikes, and karts.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle at a reasonable pace on a track before? The best bike tracks are usually the best car tracks too....

Scott
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The track I nominated was originally said to be designed for bikes. Not really sure how that differs from car tracks but this was told to me by one of the heavy's up the totem pole. It also has quite a lot of off camber corners and I didn't really understand why bikes would need/want that?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The track I nominated was originally said to be designed for bikes. Not really sure how that differs from car tracks but this was told to me by one of the heavy's up the totem pole. It also has quite a lot of off camber corners and I didn't really understand why bikes would need/want that?
They don't. In fact, off camber corners are more treacherous for bikes than they are for cars.

A bike-only track would not need to be as wide as a multi-purpose track. Bikes usually out accelerate cars but do not brake or corner as well. But how do you build a track different because of that?

Scott

Quick Reply: Toughest Turn?