Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it's wall to wall asphalt. I've had a jack sink in the asphalt it was so hot. Pray mother nature will give us a break this year. BTW.......us instructors do appreciate the AC on the grid :-)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't HAVE to bring a canopy...but you and the car will appreciate it. If you can't fit one - be sure to bring a windshield sun shade to keep the insider "Cooler". Some guys use the canopies, other's don't...the path of the sun won't really let you keep the car in the shade all day anyways...but it is great to sit under since the chairs can move.

Be sure to bring goodies for your car. There are lots of places like the PCA website that will tell you recommended items for a DE.
If you have a manual transmission, bring a wheel chock and don't use your parking brake when you return. Leaving it in gear is OK but don't use the parking brake!

This is my car as it is every event, and if you look in the background the paddock pretty much looks like that.

A ferrari (not mine) - but the point for you is what is in the background.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Nice car, cannon1000.

I'm hoping for overcast, no rain, high of 80*F. I can dream, right?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 944hal
Yep, it's wall to wall asphalt. I've had a jack sink in the asphalt it was so hot. Pray mother nature will give us a break this year. BTW.......us instructors do appreciate the AC on the grid :-)
Track and paddock temp last weekend was 145oF and the air temp was 98, brings lots of water!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
It's up to her; she wears big girl panties.

As long as I get to use the truck.

Actually, I exagerated. She is one of these wierd people who doesn't mind doing yard work in 100*F heat. Sweats like crazy then, and keeps at it. But will not go to the golf course if it's raining, temp below 70*F or above 75*F.
Golf is your barometer? GOLF? Man, I bet she handles the event better than you!

I should warn you, I introduced a friend of mine to DE's, and he ended up gaving up his golf club membership to pay for more track events.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 67King
Golf is your barometer? GOLF? Man, I bet she handles the event better than you!

I should warn you, I introduced a friend of mine to DE's, and he ended up gaving up his golf club membership to pay for more track events.
A challenge, eh?

Last Saturday, I walked 18 holes in a tournament using a Sun Mountain Speed Cart, almost broke 90, and then went home and worked on the 911 for 4 hours, before collapsing. Take that!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
Dude, that bites! What's the noise level? Would an SM be disallowed during that time? I was looking to go there with Chin Motorsports at the end of Sept. Would be my first time there too.

ON the Noise level: I did a nasa race there and they did the DE groups during the 10-12 window. I buddy of mine had a Miata with loud exhaust same system as my spec and they black flagged him for noise in the quite time he went back out and short shifted and was OK>

so you may have one session of short shifting.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
ON the Noise level: I did a nasa race there and they did the DE groups during the 10-12 window. I buddy of mine had a Miata with loud exhaust same system as my spec and they black flagged him for noise in the quite time he went back out and short shifted and was OK>

so you may have one session of short shifting.
Thanks Frank. PM sent.

Chris
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

The sound level is pretty generous. Stock systems will have no problem. Any non-stock system and you may have to take it easy. The key is to find the person with the decibel meter and "coast" by them. They are usually on the straights (just past Start/Finish on front or near black flag station on the back.). Use it to practice your line, find markers, not set lap records.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

48 hours to go, and now I'm getting stoked. I have to work Friday, as usual, but may be getting off on time for once! No overtime! So we should get to Braselton NLT 2100. To late to make tech, but early enough to get a decent nights' sleep.

Got a 12'x'12' canopy from Dicks, using my golf tournament winnings. Chairs, cooler, helmet, car.........I think that's got it.

Wish I was bringing the Porsche instead of the BMW, but it's not quite ready yet. The Motronics unit is being UPSed to Steve Wong for a chip upgrade; it has a soldered-in chip and after looking at the circuit board and seeing that I needed a good desoldering unit to even get started, I just packed it up and shipped it. I hope UPS doesn't lose/destroy it.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Be sure to weigh or town down your canopy. Nothing worse than watch it blow and hit your car and any around you.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Be sure to weigh or town down your canopy. Nothing worse than watch it blow and hit your car and any around you.
I'll have the GF sit on the tie-down ropes. It won't go anywhere.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Really lucked out on the weather at Road Atlanta. A big storm came through early Saturday morning about 0330, but no wind or rain at all Saturday or Sunday. It wasn't even super hot!

I have to admit that I was more than a little appehensive about a couple of the blind approaches to turns 2-3 and 12. It was Sunday afternoon before I felt the slightest bit confortable going through those two.

The BMW did OK, but at 3900+ pounds, she's a bit heavy to be tossed around turns like that. Oh, well, now I know. The A/C on the grid was nice, though.

I had 2 different instructors as my 1st had to leave early. They had 2 totally different lines. Is this to be expected?

I was in run group 1, and I have no problem with that. It got kind of crowded at times, as there was one car that was really slow and 3 or 4 that were really fast, and one in particular that didn't wait for point-bys. Is this normal?

Hope to do a little better next time. I'll have some on-track pictures in a few weeks from Colour Tech South.

Last edited by SiberianDVM; 11-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you enjoyed it! I've driven RA, Carolina Motorsports Park, Charlotte Motor Speedway, and VIR. RA is by far my favorite. It seems to be either abyssmally hot or cold, but who notices when you're out there driving?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was instructing in the red MB behind you in the grid photo. The white Panamera in the photo was a Hybrid. Think my daughter who was doing the DE in my track car was standing next to your GF when the pic was taken. The instructor with dude passing without point bys got his knuckles rapped. Think they thought hot rod econo boxes were exempted from the rules.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta DE