Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta DE

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be honest, it is pretty miserable. If you don't have a pop-up, buy one. It is very hot, little to no shade, and generally miserable. Bring chairs. Bring a cooler with LOTS of water/Gatorade. You might have time to go get food.

Sunday morning is when I think you'll learn the most. Since most Groups 1 and 2 cars are street cars, they run them during quiet time, back to back to back to back (i.e. Sunday morning goes Groups 5, 4, 3, 1, 2, 1, 2....). Your instructor will stay with you between the runs, and give you feedback you'll be more likley to carry into the next session. In other words, don't be in a rush to get the loud car on the track, at least to Road Atlanta, before you solo. My opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
RA is a great track, but the paddock is tough in August. You will be in the outside paddock, standing on hot pavement all weekend. There is no shade as they have closed of the parking next to the tower.
The shaded area next to the tower was open this past weekend with Chin. But, you have to arrive early to get a spot there.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop-up is on my list of things to buy this weekend. So I should bring some bricks to weight it down if I can't find a shady grassy area?

Early, check., and bring plenty of cold drinks, double check. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you find a set of 911 tires for $450 that you are willing to put on the track?

Still trying to figure out why you need a trailer.

AWD on the track sucks. Unless its raining.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Where did you find a set of 911 tires for $450 that you are willing to put on the track?

Still trying to figure out why you need a trailer.

AWD on the track sucks. Unless its raining.
Bridgestones Potenzas. Best I could do for 7x15 and 8x15. I see 17" rims in my future.

GF doesn't like to sweat. Ever.

Looking outside.....it's raining.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

If your GF doesn't like to sweat, you should think about leaving her at home. RA in August is usually really uncomfortable.

The worst thing you can do is turn her off of your new hobby.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your GF doesn't like to sweat, you should think about leaving her at home. RA in August is usually really uncomfortable.

....this. We've all seen far too many uncomfortable, unhappy wives and GFs.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

It's up to her; she wears big girl panties.

As long as I get to use the truck.

Actually, I exagerated. She is one of these wierd people who doesn't mind doing yard work in 100*F heat. Sweats like crazy then, and keeps at it. But will not go to the golf course if it's raining, temp below 70*F or above 75*F.

I hate yard work, and only do it when forced, usually by her, yet I will work away on the car in heat so bad even the dog goes inside for a cool nap, or walk 18 holes of golf when the heat index is 110*F.

Roebling Road was pretty warm, but we had a nice grassy, shady spot next to the pits. She sat in a lawn chair and read a book. Once, when I came back fom class, she was sacked out in the car, sawing logs big time.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

If you don't need to be in the action, surrounded by cars and car enthusiasts at all moments, then consider setting up your paddock spot in the infield. You can then drive down to the paddock for your session, leaving your GF sitting in a nice spot. When you drive over the Turn 11 bridge, look to your left, there is a small pavillion, surrounded by trees that I've seen people set up shop in for the weekend.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Tim. We much prefer nice and quiet where we can put up a tent on the grass, so we will look for that area.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
944hal
Pro

Unfortunately, Road Atlanta does not want anybody parking under the trees by the Tower. Anyone can sit in the Chalet, located on the front straight with great views of the grid, turn 12 and turn 1. It also provides shade from the hot August sun. Good restroom facilities and you can cool off in the tower if it gets too hot. Quiet time on Sunday is from 10:00AM until Noon. I don't know what group you are in, but we schedule back to back track sessions with the instructed groups 1 and 2 during that time. Most of them do not have track prepared cars. We do take sound reading with those groups on Saturday and warn anyone who is close to the limit to back off the throttle and work on braking and corning with their instructor. Being an instructor, I find those to be very worthwhile sessions. If you have a tent canopy, bring it. Keeping the car in the shad between sessions really helps. Bring and drink lots of water if it's real hot, and it can be brutal in August.

If you have any questions, look me up. I'll be in Tech on Friday evening and Saturday AM. Or PM me. Welcome to a Peachstate event at Road Atlanta. You will love the track.

Hal Lattimore
Peachstate Driving Committee Member
Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 944hal
Unfortunately, Road Atlanta does not want anybody parking under the trees by the Tower.
That area was filled with cars at the Chin event last weekend. Different rules for different groups????
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Hot, Hot, Hot. It will be typical Georgia summer weather. Pray for a light breeze.

The paddock area is one big parking lot - so plan around that. If you and her want to stay in the paddock I would recommend a 10x10 canopy, some camping chairs, hats, sunscreen and a cooler full of water and gatorade. A bandana or hand towel to soak in the cooler water is great for staying cool.

There is also the "chalet" which is basically just a simple roofed structure that you can setup some chairs and a cooler.

There is a bathroom there as well as porta-potties. I prefer the bathroom for obvious reasons. Next to the bathroom are a nice set of trees. You can also setup a picnic type area to stay out of the sun, but you can't see the track from there. There is plenty of room over there to spread out. A few people inevitably park in the spots under the trees...but there is not much room there and they go quickly...I wouldn't plan on it. But feel free to "camp" under the trees.

As someone else mentioned, the tower is usually open - even the top floor. It is shaded and air-conditioned.

Paddock Area Bird's Eye View
Another View

Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 PM
944hal
Pro

That's what we were told. Apparently some emergency equipment was blocked and had a hard time getting through. If that is requested by RA that's what we'll do. Bummer I know. It's the coolest spot at the track.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Hal. Group 1, stock BMW 335xi (this time). Noise will not be a problem from it.

I won't be able to make tech Friday as the *&%^% I work for won't let me off, but we'll be there early Saturday morning.

I'll encourage the GF to hang out in the chalet, and try to find a canopy for the car and stuff. The canopy will have to be on the tarmac?

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta DE