Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the nice thing about having different instructors is the variation IMO. They have different things they focus on and when you put them together - you get a lot out of it. My first instructor was all about the basic line - that is about it. 2nd about the "race line", the last about better braking techniques. The check rides were about not trail braking and later apexing! There you go - variety!

I know exactly which car you are referring to as far as being slow...I was watching the group when I had time. But hey - everyone has to start somewhere and motivation to get to Group 2.

As far as passing without point by's....a big NO NO. I am glad that the instructor was reminded of his duties out there...but the student is just as responsible. These are big boy toys out there.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

It was a great weekend. Rain held off, slight overcast and I got to move up to Group 4 and got a PR of 1:39.66 - faster than 2 weeks ago @ chin event.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:23 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder where I fell in line with the instructors you've had
Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chrisc
I was instructing in the red MB behind you in the grid photo. The white Panamera in the photo was a Hybrid. Think my daughter who was doing the DE in my track car was standing next to your GF when the pic was taken. The instructor with dude passing without point bys got his knuckles rapped. Think they thought hot rod econo boxes were exempted from the rules.
That red MB was a CL55 AMG or something like that? That was one fast little car & driver combo.

I saw the Panameras on the grid, when they were parked in front of me. I never saw them again until the next session, as I never caught them, and thank God, they never caught me.

I'm glad nobody in Group 1 had an off-track excursion or collision.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cannon1000
One of the nice thing about having different instructors is the variation IMO. They have different things they focus on and when you put them together - you get a lot out of it. My first instructor was all about the basic line - that is about it. 2nd about the "race line", the last about better braking techniques. The check rides were about not trail braking and later apexing! There you go - variety!

I know exactly which car you are referring to as far as being slow...I was watching the group when I had time. But hey - everyone has to start somewhere and motivation to get to Group 2.

As far as passing without point by's....a big NO NO. I am glad that the instructor was reminded of his duties out there...but the student is just as responsible. These are big boy toys out there.
Yes, I give the lady big points for sticking with it for 2 days despite being obviously apprehensive and unsure. I do think she had the wrong car for a beginner: a normally aspirated car may have allowed her to keep the revs up and power on more evenly. Or, maybe not, what do I know? I'm a beginner, too, and quite happy to stay in Group 1 a little longer.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jenk12m
I'm confused.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Yes, I give the lady big points for sticking with it for 2 days despite being obviously apprehensive and unsure. I do think she had the wrong car for a beginner: a normally aspirated car may have allowed her to keep the revs up and power on more evenly. Or, maybe not, what do I know? I'm a beginner, too, and quite happy to stay in Group 1 a little longer.
She made HUGE improvements over the weekend. And yeah, I am one of those who doesn't like seeing the big, high power cars in Group 1. And I also am in disagreement with the overwhelming consensus to leave PSM on. It is a huge crutch that, IMHO, prevents students from learning lessons when they screw up.

I also noticed you seemed to have gotten a bit faster as the weekend progressed, too. Good job, and glad you had fun with it!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 67King
She made HUGE improvements over the weekend. And yeah, I am one of those who doesn't like seeing the big, high power cars in Group 1. And I also am in disagreement with the overwhelming consensus to leave PSM on. It is a huge crutch that, IMHO, prevents students from learning lessons when they screw up.

I also noticed you seemed to have gotten a bit faster as the weekend progressed, too. Good job, and glad you had fun with it!
Thanks, I had to improve; I could not have gotten any worse (without crashing) my 1st speed lap thru 2-3, 7, & the setup to 12. Nearly 2 tons of BMW does not like to brake and turn at the same time. I never thought I would wish for the Acura RSX Type-S on a hilly course, but I did.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Do you mean lead / follow through Deal's Gap?? ;-) That was an experience! I'd let you sit right seat anytime...I hope to see you at RA again, it's been a while.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:44 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that's about the only instruction I've done. Everyone keeps saying I need to get certified and become an instructor
Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I got my CD of pictures from Colour Tech South. It's a nice momemto of a fun weekend. Here's a few, including one of me being a rolling roadblock. Sorry.

That AMG behind me was lightning fast.

Anyone gonna be at Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend? I'm going to take the 911 for it's 1st DE!

Last edited by SiberianDVM; 11-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta DE