Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You can drive too?....
You didn't know ?

I'm not just a pretty face, good wrench, great crew chief, AND great coach, but yes, I can drive.
Oh, but I don't do windows and rarely wash cars.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
Engine was changed from Koni days. X51 and ECU were installed together. No flash.. Ran 93 octane too.
I do like that set up, running 93 Oct. pump gas sure has it's advantages !
And in that setup you do sound legal for GTB as you were.

Our 996 car has a flash, some body work and some suspension changes that I do not believe would be legal for GTB so we will continue to run in GT3S in PCA, we have done pretty well there anyway.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had several conversations with folks and revised my feedback.

Still very against going open shocks/springs and open valving. We have to have a spec.

I don't have major heartburn w/ allowing headers; there are really cost effective options that work

LSD: not right now, but eventually ( I would prefer it to be a spec unit if and when we do it)

These are all things that need to be based on the driver's voices. I am but one voice
Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry JR - I missed your question earlier...

I took it to Rick DeMan after getting frustrated with performance of engine. Something was really wrong. Indeed there was. Awful.. He did a great job tracking everything down.

Car dynod by Rick DeMan at 340 RWP on Dynapack after cleaning up some wiring issues and fabricating headers and straight pipes (remove dinky exhaust etc). In the process of fixing the original fault, he also verified the programming and the ECU. Strangely enough - the car was quieter when he was done. Sort of. It was insanely loud before. After it was just really, really loud.

Downside to straighter exhaust is not much low end torque - it comes in very high and given redline, kind of narrow. But in the sweet spot produces great power. I use 2nd gear a lot now and am much busier in general with the gearbox.

Trying to find printout of the final Dyno report. Misplaced it.

Dan do you have dyno numbers for that motor? I'm curious as the 2 I've seen dyno'd here are only 305 and 309 on a Dynojet. I expected more....
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

It's just my humble opinion, but I believe that most of the transitional handling issues that people are trying to balance out with swapping springs would be addressed with the LSD...I think it is the biggest weakness in the setup.

I can drive this car and know the importance of a spec specification and cost control. I also firmly believe that spec series is all about leveling the playing field to focus on driver talent. Some of my most enjoyable time on the track was dicing mid pack in 944spec. Opening up shocks/springs/exhausts is a non starter in my mind. And the whole reason for having this car is the operating cost of the cup. (which ironically parts costs MORE to keep in spec!)

But...

The more flexible the platform is the more participation you will have and the bigger/better the class will be. If you have a car that you can put R6 or even A6 and be competitive in PT or GTS without changes to spec configuration you will give people a much more attractive entry into the class. Once you start modifying a car to run in other classes you ruin it for spec and take one more car out of the series. The limitation is the LSD.

Anyway as I said before my direction is set, (I'm 1-1.5 seconds off solid PTB times on RA1s as it sits with the open rear, R6 and a diff Ill be in the hunt) You can come back to this tread in a year or two and I'll bet there will be a spec LSD for the class...

...flame on!....
Old 07-22-2012, 02:08 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard

The more flexible the platform is the more participation you will have and the bigger/better the class will be. If you have a car that you can put R6 or even A6 and be competitive in PT or GTS without changes to spec configuration you will give people a much more attractive entry into the class. Once you start modifying a car to run in other classes you ruin it for spec and take one more car out of the series. The limitation is the LSD.

Anyway as I said before my direction is set, (I'm 1-1.5 seconds off solid PTB times on RA1s as it sits with the open rear, R6 and a diff Ill be in the hunt) You can come back to this tread in a year or two and I'll bet there will be a spec LSD for the class...

...flame on!....

A Spec Boxster with LSD and R6's, or A6's, or even slicks, will never be competitive in PTB and especially not GTS, at least not in a serious field. Wouldn't be competitive even with new shocks, and headers added to the list too.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
A Spec Boxster with LSD and R6's, or A6's, or even slicks, will never be competitive in PTB and especially not GTS, at least not in a serious field. Wouldn't be competitive even with new shocks, and headers added to the list too.
Well don't tell our gypsy friend. As you know he won the GTS2 Nationals in a legal Spec Box with R6's at Miller in 2010....
Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm personally a fan of the LSD too (per J Richard) but short of cooling/safety issues I think the rest of the list of proposed changes is a waste of money and as others have stated ruins the whole 'spec' nature of things.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Well don't tell our gypsy friend. As you know he won the GTS2 Nationals in a legal Spec Box with R6's at Miller in 2010....
I had my disclaimer in place for you and our gypsy friend, "at least not in a serious field". The field that year at Miller really wasn't that strong, Mid Ohio has had a better field each year, IMHO. Plus, he might not have won had I not been up their with him at the dyno, did he ever tell you about that ?

But I don't mean to take anything away from him, he drove very well and beat all comers on that day. Where is he anyway ?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Well all I can do is go by the numbers, I know there are very fast guys in our group, it could be the local tracks are short and it helps smaller better handling cars, save the LSD... But even at chuckwalla the spec car ran 2:05s (on RA1 open diff before the gt3 arms were installed and a decent alignment) with the PTA guys (on R6s) were in the 2:02s....

My only point is the LSD is a limiting factor for GTS and PT for guys that cross over and run multiple groups/classes, and it's even more an issue with stickier tires...
Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Well all I can do is go by the numbers, I know there are very fast guys in our group, it could be the local tracks are short and it helps smaller better handling cars, save the LSD... But even at chuckwalla the spec car ran 2:05s (on RA1 open diff before the gt3 arms were installed and a decent alignment) with the PTA guys (on R6s) were in the 2:02s....

My only point is the LSD is a limiting factor for GTS and PT for guys that cross over and run multiple groups/classes, and it's even more an issue with stickier tires...
Well, think of it this way, if you were a purpose built GTS car, you could run identical to the Spec Boxster, but also add A6's on, 3 way or even 2 way MSC or Motons on, FULL monoball sperical metal suspension arms everywhere, front spoiler/rear wing, under body zero lift tray, larger 996 brake calipers with alum. hats, a sequential gearbox, and ........ well I think you are getting the point. Do you really think you could beat that with a Spec Box and adding an LSD and R6's ? ? ?
As I said "a purposely built GTS car will be hard to beat". Yes, on any given day a better driver will win, but assuming equal or close drivers....
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I had my disclaimer in place for you and our gypsy friend, "at least not in a serious field". The field that year at Miller really wasn't that strong, Mid Ohio has had a better field each year, IMHO. Plus, he might not have won had I not been up their with him at the dyno, did he ever tell you about that ?

But I don't mean to take anything away from him, he drove very well and beat all comers on that day. Where is he anyway ?
I agree that field was weak but still he dominated that race. Oh do tell about the dyno episode. I'm having difficulty believing his current dyno on a Dement built 2.7 at only 208 whp. My 2.7 w/decked heads only went 216....

He's around hustling used P-cars and kicking *** in the 2.7 Boxster in our GT4 class, same as GTS3 w/slicks. Would you buy a used car from this gypsy?....
http://www.euromaster-cars.com/
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Viking,

No you are correct, if such an animal existed. Have you ever seen a 2.5 built to the top of GTS2? I haven't. The first thing that happens when somebody upgrades is a bigger motor and then you're off to GTS3 or 4. The motons would be great but even GTC is considering allowing the spherical ends because they havent been shown to provide any real advantage in lap times. Bigger brakes and aero? sure but I think it's at the point of diminishing return with the envelope of a 2.5l pushing...

I'm probably all wet, but I've been pretty impressed by this little car just the way it is, if only for the limited slip...
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

If PCA and NASA are running SPB as is why would I need or want to run PT or GTS?

I very specifically left "stock" and GTS for the spec platform to get away, far away, from the wallet dependent arms race that is GTS. Don't want to buy new Hoos for every weekend. Don't want to put a $7000 suspension on a $5000 car. Don't want to spend oodles of money on the aero needed to be competitive.

SPB is run by multiple sanctioning bodies so why have rule set that crosses into PT/GTS territory?

As for the 2.5 running GTS2 - the current record for SPB at my home track is 1:24.8. The GTS 2 field is consistent 1:22's and the record (I think) is a 1:21.4. That's more than Hoos and an LSD can do I think.

Last edited by Streak; 07-25-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Streak,

Nobody wants you too and you don't have too. My discussion is limited to the LSD in spec box, that's it.

As I started on this car there were three other guys building/bought cars in my region. Now? None...zip...nada... I love the spec idea and want to stick it out and hopefully it will catch on here but in the meantime the only place to run is PT D or C, or GTS2/3. IMHO the car would be competitive in PTC with R6 and an LSD but that makes the car non compliant for specbox and once you are out of pandora's things get stupid.

So long and short of it changing springs/dampners, headers and flux capacitors are a dumb idea, but the LSD is something to consider with a broader view...

Quick Reply: PCA rules changes