Sponsored by:

PCA rules changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

^^ Oh no! I know what you're trying to do! I'm not paying! You can't make me!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was running SB back in 08'-09; I argued for the inclusion of a LSD on safety grounds. There were many newbies to racing who choose the SB platform for it's affordability along with the equalizing concept of a spec class. What I observed then was a disproportionate amount of 4 wheel offs on the exits of high speed turns. I thought then, and still do, that as a entry level class the cars should be safer to drive. I understand the theory of educating drivers via learning better car control, I just seen to many SB's plowing up the countryside for my comfort level. Hell even Spec Miatas's have LSD's, ....
Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
^^ Oh no! I know what you're trying to do! I'm not paying! You can't make me!
muhhaaaahaaaahaaa!.....
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
When I was running SB back in 08'-09; I argued for the inclusion of a LSD on safety grounds. There were many newbies to racing who choose the SB platform for it's affordability along with the equalizing concept of a spec class. What I observed then was a disproportionate amount of 4 wheel offs on the exits of high speed turns. I thought then, and still do, that as a entry level class the cars should be safer to drive. I understand the theory of educating drivers via learning better car control, I just seen to many SB's plowing up the countryside for my comfort level. Hell even Spec Miatas's have LSD's, ....
The diff's in the Spec Miata's suck, that's why they went with the Motorsports optional diff. Also, the Spec Miata's came with LSD as an option in 50% of the cars, it was never an option in the Boxster's. And I'm not sure it ever was or is needed in the Boxster's mid engine platform.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Viking,

No you are correct, if such an animal existed. Have you ever seen a 2.5 built to the top of GTS2? I haven't. The first thing that happens when somebody upgrades is a bigger motor and then you're off to GTS3 or 4. The motons would be great but even GTC is considering allowing the spherical ends because they havent been shown to provide any real advantage in lap times. Bigger brakes and aero? sure but I think it's at the point of diminishing return with the envelope of a 2.5l pushing...

I'm probably all wet, but I've been pretty impressed by this little car just the way it is, if only for the limited slip...
If you start allowing LSD's, headers,open suspensions and such and I promise you that you will see some VERY such animals. I have such an animal built for GTS3 right now,yes it's a 3.2 liter S model Boxster, but if I saw a good turnout in GTS3 I could easily restrict the HP level to GTS2 levels and race it there. I had actually considered that option when this build was done.

With the prices of Boxster's coming down I think you will see them take over the field of current 944S models in GTS2 with time. They are a much better platform than the 944S.

Just my opinions, only time will really tell.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I agree that field was weak but still he dominated that race. Oh do tell about the dyno episode. I'm having difficulty believing his current dyno on a Dement built 2.7 at only 208 whp. My 2.7 w/decked heads only went 216....

He's around hustling used P-cars and kicking *** in the 2.7 Boxster in our GT4 class, same as GTS3 w/slicks. Would you buy a used car from this gypsy?....
http://www.euromaster-cars.com/
He was legal on dyno at Miller, but it was real close !
Initially they had run on dyno after final race win and he was like .3 over what he should have been, but the wind had really picked up and was forcing air into the Boxster intake at like 30-40mph, they were considering DQ'ing him and he had been on the dyno all week long making sure he was legal and had won in a very decided and clean race so I suggested to the scrut and dyno operator that they dyno with the drivers door open to block some of the ram air the wind was creating and he then came in just under what he needed to and was declared official winner.
It was a legit deal,the gypsy had done all the correct things, but had I not suggested that to the scrut and dyno operator they would have had no choice but to DQ him for the .3hp.

And I have actually looked at a few of his cars and bid on some of them that I wanted. He has some good deals sometimes, and he doesn't call a turd a creme puff, if it's a turd he tells you it's a turd.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Just my opinions, only time will really tell.
Well you have much more experience with these than I do, thats for sure. I'm hoping they do catch on, it is such a fun little car, just my 944 bro's are such cheap *** bastards sometimes...
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to derail the Spec Boxster discussion, but thought i would add some input from a local tuner and his take on the opening chips rule change
technically he is more of a proponent for ALL class chips to be open pre and post obdII ....hopefully this will make others want to send in some last minute comments and push a change (that i may have started at sebring)
If you dont know Behe...he is an amazing guy professionally and personally.

John Behe, Behe Performance (hope he doesnt mind me quoting him from another forum)
"I spoke with Ray Newman yesterday about this rule change. Other professional service providers had recently contacted him and expressed their same concerns about the current E10 fuel and its' negative effects. The current mandated ethanol content is 10% and is slated to rise to 15% in the near future. The only vehicles which have been calibrated to run safely on E10 or E15 are those that are designated as Flex Fuel.
It is now necessary that any vehicle that is used for competition purposes be allowed to have the engine management system re calibrated for these fuels. It is also important that all vehicles be checked for and allowed to replace any fuel system component that is not compatible with ethanol such as older braided rubber fuel line that is dissolved by ethanol.
The changes in the fuel recipe do represent problems for all vehicles and street driven vehicles will most often only notice the decrease in fuel economy associated with the addition of 10% ethanol however, the race environment is much different and engine damage can occur. It is in the interest of preserving the racers assets that these changes be allowed. "

hope it goes thru, rebuilds cost too much and ive already been there done that too many times...Money Shift Club Lifetime member.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Sorry to derail the Spec Boxster discussion, but thought i would add some input from a local tuner and his take on the opening chips rule change
technically he is more of a proponent for ALL class chips to be open pre and post obdII ....hopefully this will make others want to send in some last minute comments and push a change (that i may have started at sebring)

hope it goes thru, rebuilds cost too much and ive already been there done that too many times...Money Shift Club Lifetime member.
I wasn't aware of the potential ethanol issues. Interesting.

The problem I have always seen with the chips is their enforcement. We all suspect there are a lot of people who are cheating with aftermarket chips in Stock class. And then it also seems like there are too many legal chips for the scruts to reasonably keep track of (for example, there are FOUR legal stock Carrera chips).

This issue may be a case of "easier to allow than to police"...

And if "everyone" can use them, the possible performance advantage would benefit everyone. The exceptions would be D class SCs (in a class by themselves), and the E class Euro SC.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

If
As for the 2.5 running GTS2 - the current record for SPB at my home track is 1:24.8. The GTS 2 field is consistent 1:19's and the record (I think) is a 1:18. That's more than Hoos and an LSD can do I think.
You are looking at GTS3 not GTS2. GTS2 is doing 122's -123's consistently. There are guy's who have done 123.s with an old beat up 911. I think that a well prepared boxster could give them a run for their money. F those Bimmer guys
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good hands
You are looking at GTS3 not GTS2. GTS2 is doing 122's -123's consistently. There are guy's who have done 123.s with an old beat up 911. I think that a well prepared boxster could give them a run for their money. F those Bimmer guys
Yes, I got confused because Wong runs both and I was misremembering his times.

Eitherway, the gts2 record at Summit Point is 1:21.4 That's still a 3.4 second gap that might need more than hoos and an lsd. That's when you start leaving the spec of spec boxster behind.

GTS2 record at VIR is a 2:09 vs 2:16.5 for spb.

Actually your crossover from e stock 911 to gts2 is a perfect example. You were over a second off the record because you had suspension and aero limitations trying to straddle two race series. Same would happen in an SPB unless the S part was dropped.

People want to run gts then build a gts and spend all you want. Spec is spec for a reason.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

GTS2 record at VIR is a 2:09 vs 2:16.5 for spb.

This is deceiving as the really good Boxster drivers haven't visited VIR yet.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good hands
This is deceiving as the really good Boxster drivers haven't visited VIR yet.
Jaysus you're an ahole.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

On a serious note leave SPB the F alone. You guys are really competitive and have fun the way you are. Why would anyone want to spend more money ? It's insanity.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I got confused because Wong runs both and I was misremembering his times.
So you got Wong wrong?....

Quick Reply: PCA rules changes