Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA rules changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

This thread has certainly jumped the shark....

Scott
Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
This thread has certainly jumped the shark....

Scott
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Bump to top you need to resend your comments to PCA
previous comments were deleted
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks Dan.

Emails are flying around!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

email sent, hope they get it this time...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It is concerning that the strangely worded email that came out from PCA asking for resubmission of comments is written in such a way as to almost try and convince everyone that the new rule changes are a great idea. More expensive, less similar cars should not be the goal!

Spec Boxster is an amazingly solid platform right now and generates extremely fun and close racing - just exactly what a spec class should be. We don’t need to open up cans of worms with new shock/header modification options or spend more money on new performance upgrades. How about instead we save that money and use it to go to *more races*????

In any case, agree or disagree, please send in your comments to the PCA – the drivers’ voices need to be heard.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

...you don't need to see their papers, these aren't the droids you're looking for.....
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by longhorn911
Spec Boxster is an amazingly solid platform right now and generates extremely fun and close racing - just exactly what a spec class should be. We don’t need to open up cans of worms with new shock/header modification options or spend more money on new performance upgrades. How about instead we save that money and use it to go to *more races*????
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 AM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
+1
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first SPBOX race was in March of 2008, myself and one other racer ran exhibition as there was not yet an official SPB class. As the only two Spec Box racers in all of PCA we discussed that once people figured out how much fun the cars were there would likely be a push to make them more like letter cars. Within six months the LSD push came up, and the list of potential changes has yet to cease.

5 years later with great car counts and some of the closest racing PCA has, there are numerous folks that just can't be satisfied with simply racing a different class that currently allows all of the changes suggested for SPB. It is my opinion that the only rule changes that should be allowed are for safety or maintenance enhancement/longevity.

I believe the majority of racers are satisfied with the platform while the majority of race shop/service providers lack interest in the class as without suspension/engine enhancements the racers have limited need for their services. The cars need minimal attention as the rules are currently written and any of the performance enhancements would render a non enhanced SPB uncompetitive. Let PCA know your position by emailing them directly.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Watkins
we discussed that once people figured out how much fun the cars were there would likely be a push to make them more like letter cars.
That's the best response to those who want to allow the "spec" to creep. There is a place for Boxster of all years in the PCA "stock" classes. If you don't want to run SPEC Boxster then don't. Go get an E of F or G Boxster and go nuts.

One other factor here is that I know of several cars being built on the East Coast and several for sale. Those cars need to make in into fee paying racer's hands and back on track. TX and CA have large fields and we had a good one in Jersey but the East Coast needs more cars. Adding 10-15% to the build cost of an SPB will not promote growth. The cars for sale will be difficult to sell if the buyer understands he/she will need to spend thousands to add and LSD and re-valve perfectly good shocks. That will keep those cars off the track.

Leave it alone. The racing is great. The racing is close. The cost (tires alone) is a fraction of the "stock" class. We fit very nicely in with the D and E cars. What is not to like?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just made the following recommendations to the stock class rules:

"Allow for full tubing to replace any frame section that has rust or damage of any kind that could affect the safety and integrity of the chassis. Overall exterior dimensions of replaced frame section must remain with 1.0000001" of original location"

- and -

"Allow for electronic magnetic ride balancing in all Cup Classes so as to save money on sway bars."

Hope my suggestions get accepted...........
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
No dog in the fight but you SPB sumbitches are fast enough now..

Charlie, time to put your SPB up as your avatar or do I have to put up videos of you pushing me around TBolt?

Last edited by Gary R.; 09-07-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Adding 10-15% to the build cost of an SPB will not promote growth.
I suspect the cost to be at the front will be a lot more than that. I can imagine different shock valving and spring packages for different tracks. Then you have the expense of test and tunes to figure out the best setups for each track. You'll be looking at fairly major arms race.

I hope the SP996 guys are watching this potential cautionary tale.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I hope the SP996 guys are watching this potential cautionary tale.
Yes, I'm watching this closely, and it's terrifying. I agree with earlier comments. If you want to start adding go-fast parts to your Boxster, then move to the letter classes. From what I've observed, SPBOX racing has been fantastic, really close racing. There are definitely some better prepared cars than others in the field, but it's mainly the drivers that make the difference. Exactly what Spec racing should be, imho.

Quick Reply: PCA rules changes